PDA

View Full Version : killifish

Bkrivera
October 11th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I'm going to attempt to breed gardneri killifish. Any pointers and steps to breeding these guys will be greatly appreciated

JoeyG
October 12th, 2010, 03:51 PM
F. gardneri are not difficult to breed. After conditioning fish for 2 weeks with cut up live black worms I introduce a spawning mop of yarn usually green or light blue in color and they will readily spawn after a 30% water change. I have had these fish eat the eggs so I would recommend that after you see eggs on the mop (depending on age and conditioning you may see 10 - 50 eggs on the mop within a few days). I would move the mop to a separate hatch tank like 5 gallon tank and after the eggs hatch in 14 days feed the fry live vinegar ells for a week or 2 until they are large enough to take baby brine shrimp either live or frozen mixed with finely ground up flake food.

Normal water for killies 78 degrees F., pH of 6.5 I add a small piece of coral to the water for hardness (it helps the eggs stay firm). After the fry hatch add a teaspoon of aquarium or Kosher salt to their tank (initially and then after doing weekly water changes of 10- 15%) this will keep the odinium sickness away from the fry

Bkrivera
October 13th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I don't have the vinegar ells, but I do have microworms hopefully that will work. I have two pairs of killi fish a younger pair and a older pair both are very active. Which pair will u pick ? I'm leaning towards the older pair.

Thanks so much Joe, the auction was great this past meeting. I will be attending the IBC auction of bettas with Bill Amely on October 16. I can't wait !!!!!!

JoeyG
October 13th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Yes, the microworms should work great. I would use both in the same tank. Killies start breeding at less than one year of age, although their eggs may not become fertile until they mature. Nothing to lose and nothing ventured means no results, so try it!
The IBC at the North Jersey event should be great. I hear they may have wild types of killies also.

Good luck!

Joe

Bkrivera
October 14th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Yes, the microworms should work great. I would use both in the same tank. Killies start breeding at less than one year of age, although their eggs may not become fertile until they mature. Nothing to lose and nothing ventured means no results, so try it!
The IBC at the North Jersey event should be great. I hear they may have wild types of killies also.

Good luck!

Joe

Thanks so much for all your help. I will keep You posted on the outcome.

Qckwzrd
August 26th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Any luck with the killies?