PDA

View Full Version : African cichlids

john fox
October 19th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Are some Africans mouth breeders and if they are do they spit out live fry:shock2:

stevem
October 20th, 2012, 11:18 PM
most mouth brooders will not spit them out
they will eat them slowly
they will not release them unless they are safe
if the fry are in danger they will continue to hold them
If you can get the fish out when it is holding fry, you hold them under water and hold the mouth open and the fry will come out
it is a pretty cool site

john fox
October 21st, 2012, 01:22 PM
I just read where they can hold up to 25 fry but most times you will get about 4/5 fry ; so far I got 4 yellow labs which are about 4 months and now the blue yellow caps ;so far I see 4 so I guess it's safe enough to release them as there are plenty of hiding spots👍👍😎 also how do you tell when they are carrying ,as this is my first time with mouth brooders.

stevem
October 22nd, 2012, 07:43 PM
I have done it with labs, and got about 20=25 fry
the fry are a little sensitive to water chemistry.
they are delicate when they are small

john fox
October 22nd, 2012, 08:06 PM
How do u tell there carrying there mouth is swollen ??🐟🐠🐳🐬

stevem
October 22nd, 2012, 09:30 PM
their mouth is swollen and black
they will also not eat when holding fry
and will usually hide

john fox
November 18th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Well I do not c any black mouths and all fish appear to be eating and now I look in the tank and alas more fry; so they must feel real comfortable in this tank(:-)) ps this is my first time with African s didn't no breeding was this easy 😎😎😎

stevem
November 18th, 2012, 09:13 PM
that could only mean you are dong something righrt
they must be happy

john fox
November 18th, 2012, 09:24 PM
I think so ,,I'm running 2 filters hob and canister+2 heaters+2 airstones I have Texas holy rock 2pecies/?crushed coral in hob filter lots of caves and rocks ie slate,cichlids stones ,, once a week water change which I add 1table spoon of Epsom salt bakin soda an d kosher salt per 10 gal ������ that's a 55 gal tank

stevem
November 22nd, 2012, 01:54 PM
sound right to me