PDA

View Full Version : What are you breeding?

MRLIMPET
October 25th, 2012, 06:59 PM
I'm starting this thread in the hope that forum members will brag about what species of fish they are breeding & perhaps include photos. Currently I'm attempting to breed Laetacara araguaiae, a nice little SA dwarf very similar to L. curviceps. They've spawned for me 3 times in the last 6 weeks, once on the substrate & twice on a piece of shale. The parents do a great job taking care of the eggs & wrigglers, but once the fry are free swimming their numbers begin to dwindle, til after about a week all of the fry have been eaten by their parents. Out of perhaps 600 or so fry I now have one left, the smartest or luckiest of the bunch. Next time they spawn I'm going to remove the fry as soon as they become free swimming, & if I'm lucky I'll have some babies to share with my fellow BAS members.

stevem
October 27th, 2012, 08:29 PM
I think thats a great idea
I am currently breading self cloning crayfish, least killies, and mosquito fish
I also frag coral

Astchiefy
October 28th, 2012, 05:43 PM
I have been trying to breed Betta's for some time and have not yet had success. The pairing goes well, they mate up, I put them together then it goes no where. Any body had regular success?? Check out my video below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSbjff-38Po&feature=g-upl

Astchiefy
October 28th, 2012, 05:49 PM
I got a few different males and females which I have been experimenting with but I am debating which one to try pairing up...

Double tail
Crown tail
royal blue hybrid

Bonnie
November 1st, 2012, 10:03 AM
I'm starting this thread in the hope that forum members will brag about what species of fish they are breeding & perhaps include photos. Currently I'm attempting to breed Laetacara araguaiae, a nice little SA dwarf very similar to L. curviceps. They've spawned for me 3 times in the last 6 weeks, once on the substrate & twice on a piece of shale. The parents do a great job taking care of the eggs & wrigglers, but once the fry are free swimming their numbers begin to dwindle, til after about a week all of the fry have been eaten by their parents. Out of perhaps 600 or so fry I now have one left, the smartest or luckiest of the bunch. Next time they spawn I'm going to remove the fry as soon as they become free swimming, & if I'm lucky I'll have some babies to share with my fellow BAS members.

Ha, put me on the list for a few when and if you get any fry.
The only fish that I have that may breed for me are my blue finned Kribs. They made a nice little
home in a clay tube, fingers crossed hopefully I'll look in and see mom with some fry.

john fox
November 1st, 2012, 08:48 PM
I'm breeding black Moscow gups and my Africans have had some fry😎🐳

Astchiefy
November 3rd, 2012, 03:08 PM
Thanks to Hurricane Sandy my tanks dropped to 63 degrees. If it were not for my battery back up pumps and Gods hands I'd be sunk.

I hope you are still OK. There were disasters everywhere here in Brooklyn. The bettas must have a gaurdian angel... Theyre still alive and kicking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyol-Mou0xU&feature=g-upl[/URL]

john fox
November 4th, 2012, 09:23 AM
thats a great idea live well pumps<< i just hope i can get 1 before the nor easter wed into thursday comes .GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

Bonnie
November 5th, 2012, 08:12 PM
A few people I know have gotten them already. I think that's next on my list. I do have a small electric power pack 400watts that is charged and will be used if I loose power.
Lets all say a prayer that this storm is a bust!

stevem
November 6th, 2012, 11:24 AM
i had 2 battery backups 350 watts each
they only last several hours on a full charge
with just a small power head

Bonnie
November 7th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Hmmm, that's not good, I better get battery operated ones.

stevem
November 8th, 2012, 07:23 PM
they saved me
if i did not have them i would be cleaning out my tank now.

john fox
November 18th, 2012, 10:21 AM
I'm gettin a lot of fry from my Africans and I'd like to bring some into the auction my only problem is how do I catch them without disturbing the tank there is a lot of caves and rock and they are quick ?? 😟😟

Bonnie
November 18th, 2012, 08:03 PM
I can only say I had to remove rock and wood to get 3 bristle nose pleco's. The darn things were fast!
My boyfriend used 2 nets and herded them in,lol, it was a riot:) But seriously if they're that fast you're going to have a bit of a mess. When I took out my Geo.Steindachneri from my 75g I had a bunch of uprooted plants.

stevem
November 18th, 2012, 09:12 PM
that should be fun
I have done that a few times, I ended up rearanging the tank

john fox
November 23rd, 2012, 11:30 AM
YES I THINK REARANGING THE TANK FROM TIME TO TIME IS THE WAY TO GO THIS WAY IT DOESNT GET TOO BORING , I ALSO THINK MY YELLOW TAILS HAD FRY THEY R GETTIN YELLOW DORSAL AND YELLOW TAILS THERE JUST TOO YOUNG TO TELL

stevem
November 24th, 2012, 03:30 PM
I do not agree, rearranging your tank just stresses out your fish

Bonnie
November 26th, 2012, 06:23 PM
You know I would have thought the same as John. I've had to move things around from time to time and they seem to like exploring. Maybe they were really saying OMG what has she done now!

Qckwzrd
November 26th, 2012, 11:07 PM
I currently have blue long fin danio fry, H. Formosa fry (need a new male, only have females left) A gardneri fry. I'm trying to breed some paradise fish again and a couple of killies. Also have some wild guppies in a window tank.

Bonnie
November 27th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Hope you breed the paradise fish again, love to get a couple for my 75g.

stevem
November 27th, 2012, 06:29 PM
a great time to move things around is when you have an agreasive fish in your tank, and are adding a less aggresive fish.

john fox
December 14th, 2012, 07:52 PM
I have these :(small fry I would like to get out of the tank but there are a lot of hiding places and they r quick ⛄⛄any ideas .

Bonnie
December 15th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Wellll, don't know if anyone would agree with this but here goes. I did this many years ago when I used tubing to syphon my tanks into 30 gal garbage pails.
I took a shorter piece of tubing, started it syphoning into a bucket and syphoned up whatever fry I couldn't net out. Put a couple of gallons of tank water in and I had no problem. I think I used 1" tubing.
Bad idea...all I can say is it worked for me, it was so long ago I didn't even remember it till today while reading your reply John.

Astchiefy
December 15th, 2012, 08:59 PM
I use this syphon I got off ebay for $5. Works great and never gets me wet or tasting water

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Vacuum-Gravel-Cleaner-Siphon-Pump-/130756842107?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e71b7127b

Astchiefy
December 15th, 2012, 09:07 PM
How big do those paradise fish get? are the peaceful?

:fishy:

Bonnie
December 16th, 2012, 08:32 AM
I use this syphon I got off ebay for $5. Works great and never gets me wet or tasting water

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Vacuum-Gravel-Cleaner-Siphon-Pump-/130756842107?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e71b7127b

And I paid $50 for my python!

john fox
December 16th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Imade my python ;the fitting that attaches to the sink is a water bed drain and fill kit 8.50$ It take awhile to drain so I only refill With that setup;😍😍 I drain by suction into 5 gallon buckets doing 10 gallons a week per 55gal

Qckwzrd
December 16th, 2012, 03:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zQp3EvI3F0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

These are the fry, took me a few seconds to focus the camera. They are pretty peaceful fish and have been in the hobby for many years.

Qckwzrd
December 16th, 2012, 03:35 PM
How big do those paradise fish get? are the peaceful?

They are community fish and they are nest builders like the betta. I seperated a pair in a plastic tub half way filled with a bunch of random plants and fed the parents live worms. Took about two weeks before I seen the bubble nest and fry. I don't use a filter or heater, but once the fry hatched I use a reptile heat lamp to keep the air warm. They can get pneumonia. How's it going with the bettas?

Qckwzrd
December 16th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Hope you breed the paradise fish again, love to get a couple for my 75g.

You got it! Hopefully I get a good amount of the fry to adult hood.

john fox
December 16th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Wow those paradise fry almost look like guppy fry r they egg layers 😍😍😍😱

Bonnie
December 18th, 2012, 10:12 PM
You got it! Hopefully I get a good amount of the fry to adult hood.

Great, my 75g is needing some new fish:) Hope all goes well with the little guys.

Bonnie
February 13th, 2013, 12:15 PM
My super red bristle nose pleco's recently bred. I had 13 babies that I saw. Got about 5 in a breeder net/box in the tank. I happened to see one the other day so I guess there could be more. I was surprised when they all came up to the same spot near the heater. Hopefully they'll grow and I'll be able to bring some to auction.

stevem
February 13th, 2013, 08:01 PM
i would like to see them
i have never heard of super red
i have bred bristle nose many times
pretty easy to raise
keep the water clean, amd feed them raw zucinni
they also like the ph a little higher like 7.5
be sure to remove any uneaten food every day as not to polute the water

Bonnie
February 15th, 2013, 09:17 PM
i would like to see them
i have never heard of super red
i have bred bristle nose many times
pretty easy to raise
keep the water clean, amd feed them raw zucinni
they also like the ph a little higher like 7.5
be sure to remove any uneaten food every day as not to polute the water

I bought them from someone up in the Bronx last year. They are not red, because that's what I thought I was going to see, They are a deep orange color. They are pretty. Actually the man I bought them from became a member in the Queens/sister club. His tanks were "pristine"!

stevem
February 16th, 2013, 06:41 PM
hope u raise so many, u have to bring some to the show

Bonnie
February 16th, 2013, 07:29 PM
hope u raise so many, u have to bring some to the show

I've got some that I'm planning to bring when they get a decent size, so small now.

stevem
February 17th, 2013, 11:47 AM
i loved to see them
how big do these get

Bonnie
February 23rd, 2013, 09:10 AM
i loved to see them
how big do these get

Mine are about 3.5" I don't think they get more then 4ish inches. I have 6+ babies so I'll be bringing some to BAS when they are large enough. Got a picture but the little guy is on a reddish slate rock and hard to see. They're very good at hiding. I'll try and get some pics today of the ones I was able to get out and into a 10g. I've been syphoning out their tank every night to keep it clean and pick up uneaten food. They eat zuchinni and algae wafers. Also when I had them in a breeder net box I floated baby spinach leaf and they ate that too. I would find 1 or 2 of them on the bottom of the leaf. They are a nice orange color.

stevem
February 23rd, 2013, 11:25 AM
that sound cool
love to see them
I did feed mine romaine lettuce also
they need greens

Bonnie
February 23rd, 2013, 02:47 PM
Yup, that and a piece of wood.

Bonnie
February 23rd, 2013, 02:49 PM
A friend from another forum gave me a guppy/endler snakeskin hybrid, one male and 4 females. He bred them just to see what they'd turn out like. I'll be having plenty of those soon enough! Don't do live bearers but they were very pretty and free:chuckle:

Darn can't put a pic in of them, it's asking for a URL..

stevem
February 25th, 2013, 08:32 PM
driftwood also helps them digest

Bonnie
March 2nd, 2013, 08:53 AM
The fry are really growing! I have 1/2" babies now, they're from the older group. Maybe by April I'll be able to bring a few to the auction.

stevem
March 2nd, 2013, 01:12 PM
that would be great, keep in mind This meeting is a 50/50 on live all stock

john fox
March 2nd, 2013, 08:06 PM
To quickly and easily share your photos, just copy and paste this link into emails, social networks, blogs, IM, and more.

Halfbeaks1
March 3rd, 2013, 03:48 AM
You really can't say you breed Self Cloning Crays. If you keep them wet and fed they breed you don't even need 2.:) Just try and stop them from breeding. Countries in Europe are looking at restricting them due to how fast they reproduce and may push out native species if they are released in the wild.

Bonnie
March 3rd, 2013, 06:32 AM
that would be great, keep in mind This meeting is a 50/50 on live all stock

I know but I think they're still too small to bring. We'll see what happens Friday, it's a week away maybe a bit more growth. If not I think definately April.

robertprice
March 13th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Rearranging rocks is two-headed sword. If you rearrange Malawi and Tanganyankian cichlds' rocks, you reallu upset the territoriality and they stress out because some, like Frontosas, can spend weeks arranging their rockpiles and tunnels into a semi-permanent home. On the other hand, you'd go nuts rrarranging a pair of Flowerhorn's tank. They put everything where they want it, and if you move something, they always try to move it back to where they put it. My pair has had their Eheim filter lying right over their sleeping depression for 2 months now. Every time I've tried to put it back on the glass, they pull it off and put it back over their sleeping spot. I generally only rerarrange rocks for a new fish that needs a secluded spot, or to break up intense territoriality.

MRLIMPET
May 2nd, 2013, 11:33 PM
Went out of town for the weekend, & when I returned home I found that one of my pairs of Macropodus ocellatus had spawned. The fry were not yet free swimming, & both parents were looking after the fry & gathering up any that fell from the nest. When the fry became free swimming the female assumed the role of sole caregiver, driving the male away whenever he tried to get close to the fry. The babies have been swimming around in some floating water sprite for three days now, & the female is still looking after them. I've never seen any accounts of this breeding behavior - the parents were acting almost like cichlids, taking turns looking after the fry & signaling to each other when one relieved the other guarding the young. I picked up the parents at the March BAS auction. There were three other bags besides the one I won, & I'm curious if any of the other winners of the fish had the same experience. BTW they're frickin' gorgeous!

Bonnie
May 3rd, 2013, 06:28 PM
Went out of town for the weekend, & when I returned home I found that one of my pairs of Macropodus ocellatus had spawned. The fry were not yet free swimming, & both parents were looking after the fry & gathering up any that fell from the nest. When the fry became free swimming the female assumed the role of sole caregiver, driving the male away whenever he tried to get close to the fry. The babies have been swimming around in some floating water sprite for three days now, & the female is still looking after them. I've never seen any accounts of this breeding behavior - the parents were acting almost like cichlids, taking turns looking after the fry & signaling to each other when one relieved the other guarding the young. I picked up the parents at the March BAS auction. There were three other bags besides the one I won, & I'm curious if any of the other winners of the fish had the same experience. BTW they're frickin' gorgeous!

Beautiful fish, I just googled them! Sorry I missed the last 2 meetings, not going to miss this one. :chuckle:

robertprice
May 9th, 2013, 06:09 AM
This year's Flowerhorn breeding has gone awry. After starting 3 different nests in 2 1/2 months and making the male dig out 50 pounds of gravel, dance every day till he drops, and move rocks and heaters, the female has decided to reabsorb her eggs and stop. The teenage male is not taking this very well. He is banging her with his hump until he can nip her, and chasing her behind the big rock. He deliberately eats all her food and now I have to feed her in a corner before he sees me. I may have to separate the once loving couple.

robertprice
May 18th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Round Tail Paradise aren't bred nearly as frequently as other anabantoids. Good job!

Bonnie
August 3rd, 2013, 08:33 PM
Looks like I'm going to have Whiptail Cat fry soon. One whiptail has been in the cave for at least 1 week. She came out and I can see small green eggs here and there inside.
I hope they hatch!
I have Super Red BN's if anyone wants. I hope I can catch the whiptails before they're lunch!

robertprice
August 4th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Right now I have a colony of Dubias breeding. Not what I imagined earlier this year, but at 30 cents each wholesale, I now have enough for my Bearded Dragon and my Flowerhorns to eat better than I do. It has had an interesting affect on my on-again off-again Flowerhorn pair - the female is now 8.5 inches and no longer afraid of the 11 inch male. Yesterday they actually did a little digging, first time since the Spring. I am cautiously hopeful that they will breed again by early next Spring, if not sooner.

Bonnie
September 9th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Hopefully will have Whiptail cat fry soon. One of the WTC's has been in that little cave for what seems like forever. I turned the cave around and i can see a load of eggs under him/her, fanning them. Hopefully fry soon!

Astchiefy
September 15th, 2013, 07:26 PM
You're gonna be a grandma... Lol

Astchiefy
September 15th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Has anyone bred Albino Buenos Aires Tetras or black skirts. I've been raising them forever but never bred.

I'm looking for the trigger

elcue
October 2nd, 2013, 11:20 PM
I’ve had both spawn – there might be a trigger in here somewhere: I kept my tetras in a 30 until I noticed plump females, then I would move a pair to a 15g. The parameters in both were the same - driftwood, java moss , dark gravel, Tetra Whisper filter, soft, acidic water, 78 - 80 degree range. Weekly, massive water changes, at least 80%, right out of the sink (w/ some Novaqua). Heavily fed Hikari bloodworms, Tetra bits, and baby brine. My notes show that the black skirts spawned at temps of 78 and 80, didn’t have any on the aires, probably the same, same tank , same habits. I remember that the blacks were very fat, like marbles w/ fins. The first time they spawned I saw the eggs in the java from across the room. They were white and bad, some hatched from the second, the third spawn was fine. I’ve had this happen many times w/ tetras. I think that the females mature earlier than males of the same age. I would remove the parents asap. The good eggs are clear and hatch w/in a day. Having java and a flashlight helps to spot them, hundreds of them. I was bringing them to the auction for months…

Astchiefy
October 6th, 2013, 01:26 AM
This helps a lot as I have had my tetras for a while and no breeding taking place. I will try lowering the ph to see what impact that has(slowly of course) I also have betta fish in there which may also benefit from the water adjustment. Funny thing is that the fish have established certain groups which lead me to believe I'm very close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqDhoCK5aOw&feature=c4-overview&list=UU6ysKDaKKSi0DIh6MYLYuDA

MRLIMPET
October 19th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Picked up some Apistogramma agassizi at LFS & BAS sponsor Pacific Aquarium about a month ago. Since then they've colored up nicely & appear to be the Flamenco morph. As I write this the female is guarding some wrigglers in the leaf litter. Keeping my fingers crossed. I really love this species - they've been on my wish list since I was eleven!

elcue
May 16th, 2014, 03:27 PM
As I’m typing this I have a pair of Asian rummynose (Sawbwa resplendens), and a pair of Celestial pearl danios spawning in an unheated 20g – 68degrees. Got them from Rachel at the nano mtg. Eventually I’ll pull them, and arrange a better set up. The female Betta ocellata that I picked up at the last auction is plumping up nicely, hopefully w/ eggs. The male is also fattening up – starting to look like a tadpole. Maybe there will be fry for next season’s meetings :) :) :fishy:

dsuperman
May 16th, 2014, 10:59 PM
Asian rummynose are beautiful and so are those cpds.Good luck. I'm concentrating on a couple of guppy strains lately, plus Skiffia Multipunctatus and Paleatus cories.

elcue
May 17th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Thank you, maybe the rummies will spawn me a school. :swim: :swim: They are pretty, with the pale blue body and bright red/orange nose and tail tips. I cut/pasted Skiffia Multipunctatus into google, and the first link is a youtube video by you - I'm assuming that's you. Nice videos. Saw the one of your 19 year old Silver dollars; did they ever spawn?

dsuperman
May 17th, 2014, 07:29 PM
They have had some life up to this point,those dollars. Nope,just about every time i do a water change they go at it,never seen an egg!:scratchhead:

elcue
May 24th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Rats, don’t ya hate when that happens. How often do you do the water changes?
The Betta occelata that I got at the last mtg spawned. He held the eggs for two days – at least now I’m sure that I have a pair, that’s always a good start…

dsuperman
May 25th, 2014, 10:05 AM
All my tanks get a 30-50% water change every 10 days. Thank you python. No thanks to the city which has raised our water bills by a million percent in 20 years,seems like it..:wave:

Do you have to separate the sexes while raising those occelata?

elcue
May 27th, 2014, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE=Do you have to separate the sexes while raising those occelata?[/QUOTE]

I don’t know, maybe I should. Do you mean that she might have been bothering him? They’re in w/ a lot of smaragdina. They do need their own space, too much going on in that tank. They had staked out a little territory, but once they spawned, the other fish were in his face. Not much he can do w/ a mouth full of eggs; he might have been pestered too much. Or not, who knows. Maybe I’ll try to segregate him from all the other fish. But my catching him might cause him to eat the eggs. She’s starting to plump up so there will be other chances. I’ll just try different approaches, shuffle some fish around…

dsuperman
May 27th, 2014, 07:36 PM
That isn't what i meant but is possible the female was harassing him. I thought you had fry,was wondering if one has to separate males/females like with splendens. Good luck playing "musical fish", i know the feeling.

elcue
May 28th, 2014, 10:52 AM
Now you put a bug in my head. Hopefully I’ll have fry, I think I read that they're 5mm at release, couldn’t find anything on how many he can hold. We’ll see how it goes… I’ve had splendens spawn; I didn’t separate them. What’s the reasoning for separating the sexes? I just don’t have the space. They had spawned in a 5 gal Rubbermaid, and remained there until I would bring them to the club in bags of 20+. Swirling bags of red finnage, pretty funny, people would do double takes. You never see bettas like that. I think they were too crowded to become territorial/spawn, and if they did stop swimming to fight, the filter would throw them around. It worked; for me, don’t know happy they were. The smaragdina are all together, too. Funny, it never occurred to me to separate them. They’re not easy to tell apart, we were trying to pull pairs the other day– it’s easy until the net hits the water, and then they all look alike…

dsuperman
May 28th, 2014, 07:21 PM
When i raised a splendens spawn of couple of years ago i took the males out as soon as they started flaring and put them in about 12 separate pretzel tubs,that was fun,lol.I didn't want them ripping finnage. .Sounds like you don't have that problem with the smaragdina, and thats a good thing for spaces sake lol.

elcue
May 30th, 2014, 12:50 AM
So far so good w/ the smaragdina, although the ocellata has done some minor damage- but they're learning to keep their distance for him. Found info on the ocellata brood size, 100 was observed w/ 7mm fry. Last two pages of this paper, interesting...

http://www.hollandbettashow.com/bettas4all_photos/Scientificarticles/Ruberetal2004.pdf

dsuperman
May 30th, 2014, 01:25 PM
That is interesting. Sounds like soon you will be up to your rubbermaids in occelata!

MRLIMPET
June 6th, 2014, 09:02 PM
I've had male smaragdina that grew up together get along very well until the day that they don't, when all hell breaks loose. This was in a 10g grow out tank; perhaps in a roomier tank with broken lines of sight they'd be more tolerant of each other.

One of my "female" Macropodus ocellatus is now tending a nest full of fry! Sexing them is very tricky when they're young. The male is very tolerant of the female, & even lets her help round up stray fry. The little ones should become free swimming tomorrow, when I'll remove the parents & begin feeding smelly infusoria.

elcue
July 10th, 2014, 12:16 PM
So far there haven't been any casualties w/the smaragdina. The males will circle each other, flaring their fins, but another fish will get in the way and then it's over. I did move the occelata to another tank, maybe now he'll hold the eggs.

Here's a pic of some males, there are more on my profile page

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=80

dsuperman
July 13th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Those look like happy, robust fish in your album. Nice work. :bow2:

elcue
July 14th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Thank you. Some are quite the little fatties, the female microsynodontis sp1 are full of eggs. Hopefully this time I'll save some. Last time they released the eggs I missed it - don't know if they spawned or just released/feasted on the eggs.

I can't figure out the posting of pics on this thing. Sometimes I can see the pic in the thread w/out signing on, and then sometimes I can't. Can you see the pic w/out signing on?

dsuperman
July 14th, 2014, 06:20 PM
I can see it without signing on, i'm using "use.com" as my host. I can't figure out how to get a photo on at all.

elcue
July 15th, 2014, 06:40 PM
It's frustrating right? :crazy: I believe I was told to copy /paste the url of the picture, into the "Insert Image" pop up box , when posting a reply. I used the url for the picture from my profile page, since I don't have an account w/ any of the photo sites. I think I copied the url before I started the reply, as I couldn't toggle back and forth w/out losing the msg. And it didn't help that sometimes I saw the pic and sometimes I didn't , so thanks for answering! I think I'll try another!

elcue
July 15th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Female Microsynodontis full of eggs. Let's think positive thoughts!

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/picture.php?albumid=11&pictureid=43

dsuperman
July 15th, 2014, 09:40 PM
They look like they are ready to burst! This time i couldn't see the photo without loggin in. I always feel theres a joke/cartoon in there somewhere about "upside down catfish. Think i tried once, it didn't go over. Ha. Good luck.
http://www.use.com/dsupermans_Fish_cartoons_898afc7cad2052344023?p=8

elcue
July 16th, 2014, 10:57 AM
They get scary big for small fish, I doubt the females are 1.5in long.

Cute cartoons

elcue
August 9th, 2014, 06:55 PM
:woot2: The Betta ocellata that I picked up at the May auction released fry. I had removed the female about six days after spawning, since she was plumping up w/ eggs, and I didn't want to risk him dumping his charges to spawn again. He held them about 9-10 days at 84 degrees. They readily take brine, no idea how many... the rocks in the photo - gravel.

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/picture.php?albumid=17&pictureid=94

dsuperman
August 10th, 2014, 12:07 AM
Sweet, at that temp is that the norm for holding {9-10 days]? Nice photo,whats the first food for those?:)

elcue
August 10th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Not sure on the temp/holding, and I could be off a day. The chart that I had posted had 10 days holding, but doesn’t indicate temperatures. I had read 12 – 15 somewhere on the internet, but w/ temps in the high 70*s. From what I’ve read, my tank can get 10* warmer than ideal for the fish (it’s on a sunny windowsill). Fortunately fish don’t read (could be they just don’t have access to the internet) and they spawned anyway! I’m sure at lower temps they would have metabolized slower, and he would have held them longer. Next month …. Meanwhile, he just consumed a quarter, of a hikari bloodworm cube, poor boy’s hungry. When I noticed the fry, I fed the tank microworms and baby brine, but I'm sure they found plenty to eat prior to that, the tank has an airstone, plants, and lots of mulm. Think I’ll add a sponge…

dsuperman
August 10th, 2014, 09:39 PM
True, fish don't always follow the rules, sounds like yours are off to a great start!

elcue
August 12th, 2014, 01:46 PM
Caught one of the fry for a photo...

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/picture.php?albumid=17&pictureid=95

:wave:

dsuperman
August 12th, 2014, 07:39 PM
That giant mass of duckweed might consume that fry, watch out! :bow2:

elcue
August 12th, 2014, 09:26 PM
:chuckle:

I know, by the end of the week that duckweed could very easily be ten duckweed

:rofl2:

dsuperman
August 13th, 2014, 10:41 PM
When someone says "free duckweed !" i tell them Duckweed is never free.:smash:

robertprice
August 14th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Aquariumspace.com is giving it awat for free.

dsuperman
August 14th, 2014, 08:40 PM
Ahh, but it comes at a price! :chuckle:

elcue
August 28th, 2014, 12:25 PM
That giant mass of duckweed might consume that fry, watch out! :bow2:

I think the fish are winning! :D:D

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/picture.php?albumid=17&pictureid=101

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/picture.php?albumid=17&pictureid=100 Taken 8/10/14

dsuperman
August 28th, 2014, 08:28 PM
In 2 1/2 weeks thats sweet. NIce pic.

elcue
August 28th, 2014, 11:10 PM
In 2 1/2 weeks thats sweet. NIce pic.

They really stuff themselves, always fat bellies. Some are probably a half inch

elcue
September 10th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Some are close to an inch. Starting to take frozen bloodworms

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/picture.php?albumid=17&pictureid=102

:woot2::woot2:

dsuperman
September 11th, 2014, 09:17 PM
Those are cool fish, growing fast in your care. You sent your good breeding vibes my way when i think you asked if my ol silver dollars ever laid eggs. 22 years no eggs observed,yet one fry today.http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/picture.php?albumid=14&pictureid=105http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/picture.php?albumid=14&pictureid=111:slap:http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/picture.php?albumid=14&pictureid=107

elcue
September 12th, 2014, 01:25 PM
WOW That's so great. Keep looking, find five more. I think you need six, two month old fry, for the breeder awards program. Nice shot.
:clap: :clap:

dsuperman
September 13th, 2014, 12:48 PM
I'll keep looking but it might be another 20 years before i see another one,lol. I wonder how healthy this one fry could be with such old parents.:thinking:

elcue
September 13th, 2014, 03:32 PM
That's pretty funny, but keep looking anyway. The parents are obviously healthy, who knows, in the wild 20 might be young for silver dollars. Maybe there's hope for my raphaels (they were 5in when I got them in '95)

dsuperman
September 14th, 2014, 04:35 PM
Raphaels are one cool cat. Thats some commitment when you have the same fish 20 plus years.:rockout:

elcue
September 15th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Sometimes I forget that they're even here, they've become fixtures - ugly @$$ fixtures :chuckle:

dsuperman
September 20th, 2014, 09:43 AM
I kept looking,now i don't even see the one. :hahano:

elcue
September 20th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Don't ya hate when that happens. ok, so now switch to looking for eggs! If you see them siphon them...

I wonder what's doing w/ the flowerhorns?

elcue
September 20th, 2014, 01:39 PM
An excerpt from the movie...

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/picture.php?albumid=17&pictureid=114

dsuperman
September 20th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Thats what i'm gonna name my band.:slap: Great shot, you need more oscillating ocellata.

elcue
September 24th, 2014, 12:04 PM
:ohnoes: Noooo! YOU need more ocellata. Come to the big auction, they'll be waiting for you. I have an open reciprocation ticket, w/your name on it that needs to be closed out (its accruing interest). :chuckle:

dsuperman
September 25th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Reciprocating? , or oscillating?. Make up my mind.! :slap:

elcue
September 25th, 2014, 02:10 PM
I'd like to say that I "saw" that coming - but I didn't

dsuperman
September 26th, 2014, 09:23 AM
lol :slap:

Astchiefy
September 26th, 2014, 09:37 PM
Wow that's cool i never got mine to sown although they sometimes locked in the mating stance. What's the secret?

elcue
October 1st, 2014, 05:56 PM
Those two in the pic spawn regularly, but success requires a peaceful tank, with nothing to eat the eggs/fry. Most of the eggs were eaten by the cory cats. Atsy, the adults are spoken for, but would you like some young ones? two months old, maybe 1.5 in.

dsuperman
October 2nd, 2014, 10:43 AM
They seem rare on AB. One auction only right now asking $50 for 5? [i think ]. :bow2:

Astchiefy
October 3rd, 2014, 09:17 AM
Think I'm going to teach mine to read cause they are not following the rules. No fry no action. I think my bettas are gay... lol

elcue
October 3rd, 2014, 06:59 PM
They seem rare on AB. One auction only right now asking $50 for 5? [i think ]. :bow2:

He has a few nice auctions for mouthbrooders. Too bad I don't ship

dsuperman
October 3rd, 2014, 09:42 PM
With nice fish like that, maybe you should. :thinking:

dsuperman
October 12th, 2014, 07:57 PM
:bow2:

dsuperman
October 25th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Releasing eggs at the two minute mark. http://youtu.be/Ditqdhj6O0s?list=UUeOMRuuEPYQubeVZiS6fkOgI aint breeding these,they breeding themselves.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/Ditqdhj6O0s?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/Ditqdhj6O0s?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>http://youtu.be/Ditqdhj6O0s?list=UUeOMRuuEPYQubeVZiS6fkOg

stevem
October 26th, 2014, 02:45 PM
I haven't heard of bettas being gay, but i guess they have to start somewhere.
Might as well be yours.

elcue
October 26th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Releasing eggs at the two minute mark. http://youtu.be/Ditqdhj6O0s?list=UUeOMRuuEPYQubeVZiS6fkOgI aint breeding these,they breeding themselves.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/Ditqdhj6O0s?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/Ditqdhj6O0s?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>http://youtu.be/Ditqdhj6O0s?list=UUeOMRuuEPYQubeVZiS6fkOg

Nice. This time you were ready w/ the siphon and a film crew. :bow2: Hatch those eggs :rockout:
I wonder at what age they reach maturity?

dsuperman
October 31st, 2014, 09:05 PM
I' ll be wondering also about maturity. Half fungused,the other half did not hatch. Maybe sterile this time at that age? :(

stevem
November 1st, 2014, 10:49 AM
Maybe males not mature enough yet

dsuperman
November 12th, 2014, 10:26 PM
These guys are old. Kinda quick for them,two weeks later the silver dollars spawned again. Saved around 20 again,half turned blue from methylene,we'll see about the others. :scratchhead:

elcue
November 16th, 2014, 04:49 PM
These guys are old. Kinda quick for them,two weeks later the silver dollars spawned again. Saved around 20 again,half turned blue from methylene,we'll see about the others. :scratchhead:

They may be old, but might just be hitting their stride. The only references to maturity that I find, comment on size , not age. So what happened?? are you babying babies?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metynnis_argenteus :

In most cases, sexual maturity sets in when M. argenteus grow to around four inches long, though this remains variable. Among a given shoal, the males tend to become active before the females and spend a period of time sparring while the females look on. When the females do eventually become sexually active, courtship and spawning in a healthy shoal kept under optimum conditions often become a daily activity. M. argenteus are prolific, group-spawning egg scatterers which show little if any interest in their own young. They scatter eggs among fine-leaved plants as well as directly on to the substrate during a characteristic, side-by-side, shimmying courtship ritual. It is a common practice among breeders to put a layer of marbles on the bottom of the tank if breeding is desired in a community tank. The idea is that the eggs fall between the gaps in the marbles where they can develop in peace: other fish can't get to them during that vulnerable period and when the fry do eventually rise they are equipped with a chance of dodging predators

dsuperman
November 16th, 2014, 05:59 PM
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/gSESSsPc2o4?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/gSESSsPc2o4?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object> I've read ten plus years for silver dollars and that they can lay 2,000 eggs. Male no. 2 was eating the eggs faster than i could grab them, still i bet there wasn't 50 eggs total.http://youtu.be/gSESSsPc2o4

Those betta smaragdina spawned within days due to your super conditioning. I wasn't paying attention, i think i see 3 fry [3 again?]. :wave:

elcue
November 16th, 2014, 09:08 PM
Hey three's a good number. Did the others not eye up? NEXT TIME...

Good news on the smaragdina - they're nice fish

dsuperman
November 17th, 2014, 05:12 PM
Yep ,next time. They didn't eye up.

elcue
November 21st, 2014, 07:50 PM
My baby Barbatus are spawning :shock2: Guess I should stop calling them baby...maybe they're 19 months old

He's a beauty

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=126

dsuperman
November 21st, 2014, 11:13 PM
Wow! That is the most attractive cat really and you have them spawning in november, congratulations.

elcue
November 28th, 2014, 09:14 PM
Wow! That is the most attractive cat really and you have them spawning in november, congratulations.

They can't figure out what month it is, they're still trying to figure out how it is, that they're swimming w/ Asian rummynoses. :chuckle: Nothing hatched, so maybe still too young...

KC2PED
December 1st, 2014, 11:55 PM
I often breed contempt

elcue
December 7th, 2014, 02:51 PM
dsuperman - Your female Flowerhorn has spawned! It's posted in two other threads, but for some reason not this one Dr Price is going to be up to his ears in baby brine :chuckle:

dsuperman
December 7th, 2014, 08:53 PM
Thats great news! Merry Christmas! :rockout:Sounded like he had them conditioned really well. The female looked beautiful last i saw her, i bet his male is super good looking.

robertprice
December 8th, 2014, 09:25 AM
The eggs hatched last night. They were on a vertical rock, so they fry rolled down into the gravel which the female is patrolling.

elcue
December 8th, 2014, 01:36 PM
QUOTE=robertprice;4401]The eggs hatched last night. They were on a vertical rock, so they fry rolled down into the gravel which the female is patrolling.[/QUOTE]

Nice :birthday:

Let the seemingly endless cycle of water changes/brine shrimp hatching begin!

elcue
December 8th, 2014, 01:55 PM
My baby Barbatus are spawning :shock2: Guess I should stop calling them baby...maybe they're 19 months old

He's a beauty

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=126

Update:

I'm no longer calling him baby or beauty, this week he's that Little $h!t. I pulled him out of the tank as he was tormenting another male - and that's when I uncovered the two dead females. :angry: So now I have three males, and after donating over a hundred of their siblings to the club - no females. He is stunning though... There we go, next week's name Stunning Little $h!t

dsuperman
December 9th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Well, he is stunning that little spit! Don't worry, i'm sure someone you donated to would be willing to sell you a female or two. Say... $27.99 each? :slap:
All i keep is a poor genuine imitation barbatus "paleatus" or i would have sent you some females right quick,sorry.http://youtu.be/Zrw52NKQYJg?list=UUeOMRuuEPYQubeVZiS6fkOg

robertprice
December 10th, 2014, 12:14 AM
The Black Flowerhorns ate all their Fry as they hatched. This is totally aberrant behavior after all their preparations and guarding the ggs for 2 days, and I have no plausible explanation.

robertprice
December 11th, 2014, 03:05 PM
PLEASE DISREGARD THE ABOVE! The Flowerhorns did in fact scoop out every one of the babies and put them somewhere in the closed off cave where I was unable to see any. This morning the whole swarm is back to their original birthplace. This is the first time I have seen a pair of Flowerhorns hide all their newborn fry for 4 days, and the return them, but perhaps I should have anticipated this as they were building 2 constructions all the while.

elcue
December 11th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Well, he is stunning that little spit! Don't worry, i'm sure someone you donated to would be willing to sell you a female or two. Say... $27.99 each? :slap:
All i keep is a poor genuine imitation barbatus "paleatus" or i would have sent you some females right quick,sorry.http://youtu.be/Zrw52NKQYJg?list=UUeOMRuuEPYQubeVZiS6fkOg

That's too funny (well, not really, and you're not the first to say it) I've donated hundreds of bags of fish to club's auctions (favorite part of the hobby), but I wonder, "How are they doing?" They don't call, they don't write... :chuckle:

I know that if you had a spare female she'd be here w/ the celestial pearls / plants that you sent me - you're a true hobbyist :) (w/ shipping skills, which makes it even better)!

Yesterday, another club member brought me some Epiplatys togolensis; which are already spawning :), saw a few eggs a while ago

elcue
December 11th, 2014, 06:07 PM
PLEASE DISREGARD THE ABOVE! The Flowerhorns did in fact scoop out every one of the babies and put them somewhere in the closed off cave where I was unable to see any. This morning the whole swarm is back to their original birthplace. This is the first time I have seen a pair of Flowerhorns hide all their newborn fry for 4 days, and the return them, but perhaps I should have anticipated this as they were building 2 constructions all the while.

ooohh, sneaky devils. So they hatched on 12/7, they hid them, and now have let them out to eat. So I repeat - Let the seemingly endless cycle of water changes/brine shrimp hatching begin!

dsuperman
December 11th, 2014, 07:11 PM
'
Originally Posted by robertprice
"PLEASE DISREGARD THE ABOVE! The Flowerhorns did in fact scoop out every one of the babies and put them somewhere in the closed off cave where I was unable to see any. This morning the whole swarm is back to their original birthplace. This is the first time I have seen a pair of Flowerhorns hide all their newborn fry for 4 days, and the return them, but perhaps I should have anticipated this as they were building 2 constructions all the while."

They need to be told that they are flowerhorns, not angelfish.:) Congratulations on finding them, put a fishcam in that cave.

dsuperman
December 11th, 2014, 08:43 PM
That's too funny (well, not really, and you're not the first to say it) I've donated hundreds of bags of fish to club's auctions (favorite part of the hobby), but I wonder, "How are they doing?" They don't call, they don't write... :chuckle:

I know that if you had a spare female she'd be here w/ the celestial pearls / plants that you sent me - you're a true hobbyist :) (w/ shipping skills, which makes it even better)!

Yesterday, another club member brought me some Epiplatys togolensis; which are already spawning :), saw a few eggs a while ago

:wave: See, when you SELL fish they usually write back. "All is swell , i arrived alive and well"
So you just kicked that poor Barbatus to the curb and now you're a killie nut? Make up my mind already!

Seriously, looks like a great addition to your collection,its always a wonder why killiefish are not more popular. That fish is pretty and seems kinda rare,is it an annual? So now put yer bifocals on and start picking eggs on a daily basis.
:)

elcue
December 14th, 2014, 06:09 PM
See, when you SELL fish they usually write back. "All is swell , i arrived alive and well"
So you just kicked that poor Barbatus to the curb and now you're a killie nut? Make up my mind already!

Seriously, looks like a great addition to your collection,its always a wonder why killiefish are not more popular. That fish is pretty and seems kinda rare,is it an annual? So now put yer bifocals on and start picking eggs on a daily basis.
:)

No, the barbs are still here, they're waiting for the girls to arrive :chuckle:

non annual according to this site : http://http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/~c102mr/epiplaty/&prev=search

Found more eggs this morn, in mop and on the glass, so now I don't know what I have. The candidates are killies, ottos or c. napoensis, or a combination thereof Lots were bad, so it might be the napos which are huge and never spawn. But I'm hoping that the ottos are coming of age, and that the first spawn was bad...there were about 60 eggs on the glass , catfish style. But :shrug: who knows?? We'll see if anything hatches...

dsuperman
December 14th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Congratulations, the naps and/or the ottos "smelled" the milt from the killies and that triggered them to spawn?:wave:

elcue
December 14th, 2014, 09:38 PM
Hoping it's the ottos, they're nice little fish. I can't remember if the napos are my adults or their offspring, from a 6/08 spawning. Either way they're not young

elcue
December 18th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Found more eggs this morn, in mop and on the glass, so now I don't know what I have. The candidates are killies, ottos or c. napoensis, or a combination thereof Lots were bad, so it might be the napos which are huge and never spawn. But I'm hoping that the ottos are coming of age, and that the first spawn was bad...there were about 60 eggs on the glass , catfish style. But :shrug: who knows?? We'll see if anything hatches...

Well only a few hatched, they are definitely catfish. They're so teeny - maybe I'll know what they are by Christmas! :chuckle:

dsuperman
December 18th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Those cories are nice sized fish that have decent sized eggs,:agree: my guess is the ottos. Good luck.

elcue
January 2nd, 2015, 03:10 PM
Well only a few hatched, they are definitely catfish. They're so teeny - maybe I'll know what they are by Christmas! :chuckle:

Christmas came and went, as did the fish. Think I may have misjudged the yolk size, and fed too late. :slap: Hopefully next time. Pulled some killie eggs, going to try to hatch w/out the meth blue. Livin' on the edge here. :chuckle:

dsuperman
January 3rd, 2015, 02:05 PM
Geez, now i can't use the slapface smiley. Yeah, i've been there many times overfeeding and underfeeding fry. You are brave with those killie eggs, good luck.:slap:

elcue
January 16th, 2015, 11:39 PM
Geez, now i can't use the slapface smiley. Yeah, i've been there many times overfeeding and underfeeding fry. You are brave with those killie eggs, good luck.:slap:

Worked out well. I used the Marina Hang-On Breeding Box w/ an airstone, until they hatched. Then I pulled the stone and hooked up the air as its meant to be used, w/ the addition of a piece of sponge to block the overflow. Didn't do too bad, 22 of the 30 that I had pulled, hatched. :fishy::fishy: Probably twice as many hiding in the tank...

dsuperman
January 17th, 2015, 11:09 AM
http://youtu.be/vpU1EN8NBvk
Are these what you have? Thats a sharp looking killie. 22/30 is a great batting avg.,those Marina,s really are great. Good luck.:wave:

elcue
January 17th, 2015, 01:15 PM
http://youtu.be/vpU1EN8NBvk
Are these what you have? Thats a sharp looking killie. 22/30 is a great batting avg.,those Marina,s really are great. Good luck.:wave:

Yes that's them, according to this link that's a synonym ; http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/181604/0. They're nice fish, I'll save you some if you'd like. I just thought of where I can keep them for you :rofl2::rofl2:

Did you happen to see the video after the one you linked to?, very interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA8sUkC-ReA&feature=youtu.be

dsuperman
January 17th, 2015, 04:38 PM
I did skim through that next video,i will be watching it in full. Thats a whole nother ballgame. Thank you , but nono on the killies, i couldn't take the pressure.:wave:

elcue
January 23rd, 2015, 03:33 PM
Thank you , but nono on the killies, i couldn't take the pressure.:wave:

:chuckle: They have valves for that...

elcue
January 23rd, 2015, 03:37 PM
So this happened today...

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=127

dsuperman
January 23rd, 2015, 09:15 PM
Wow! Thats a lotta fry! You breed nice stuff. Congratulations. Now get to work!:bow2:

elcue
January 24th, 2015, 04:28 PM
Wow! Thats a lotta fry! You breed nice stuff. Congratulations. Now get to work!:bow2:

Thank you, good thing I don't have to name then :chuckle: I pulled over 300 eggs, never thinking that they would all hatch, but almost all did. Did the same as I did w/ the killies.. I used the Marina Hang-On Breeding Box w/ an airstone, until they hatched. Then I pulled the stone and hooked up the air as its meant to be used, w/ the addition of a piece of course foam to block the overflow. After I pulled the eggs, I replaced the water w/ tapwater - no chemicals. I just fed them w/ microworms, might have been a bit premature, but some had already used their yolk sac...

dsuperman
January 24th, 2015, 08:31 PM
Thats a great yield from that group, i was lucky to get 30 from my paleatus group [7?] last time. Thats a nice tip [nyc tap water] i gotta try it. Now get back to work,you need more tanks!:wave:

elcue
January 29th, 2015, 04:23 PM
Update... six days old w/ bellies full of baby brine shrimp!

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=128

dsuperman
January 29th, 2015, 08:37 PM
Nice pic, i can see those orange bellies.Gotta love cories.:rockout:

dsuperman
January 31st, 2015, 09:33 PM
Yes that's them, according to this link that's a synonym ; http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/181604/0. They're nice fish, I'll save you some if you'd like. I just thought of where I can keep them for you :rofl2::rofl2:

Did you happen to see the video after the one you linked to?, very interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA8sUkC-ReA&feature=youtu.be

That was an interesting video, you would think one would be limited living on an island, but not him.

dsuperman
February 3rd, 2015, 10:48 PM
With a little more room now in that tank and full grown,they decided to go ahead and spawn. :slap:

http://youtu.be/N-y37dC_p6c

elcue
February 4th, 2015, 04:20 PM
With a little more room now in that tank and full grown,they decided to go ahead and spawn. :slap:

http://youtu.be/N-y37dC_p6c

Very nice. Did he pock up the eggs in the sequel? :chuckle: Some good info too!, your spawning adults were eggs 7/26 - nice, spawning at six months :rockout:

dsuperman
February 4th, 2015, 09:32 PM
That WAS the sequel,the male looked like he was having a lil trouble picking up the eggs in that lil bit of gravel. i couldn't figure out how to combine the two on youtube. Heres the prequel
http://youtu.be/l7bCI1o62-E?list=UUeOMRuuEPYQubeVZiS6fkOg
Today i removed the male to a five gal. by himself.In the spawning tank the one pleco and some of the other bettas seemed very interested in the spot where this male was hanging out.
Weird, not many here breed fish? You,me..
:bonk: the person who started this thread[ reminds me of Don Knotts?]:scratchhead:

elcue
February 5th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Safer to move him. I only had a pair; when she was ready to spawn again, she'd pester him, and they'd spawn again. Still not sure if he would always drop/eat the eggs to spawn again, or if he'd spawn again and have two spawns in his mouth. Probably both options depending on how much room he had in his mouth. The last spawning session, I pulled the female, left him alone in the tank. He released fry, and a week later I was seeing much smaller fry in the tank, so I'm sure he had two spawns...

There are a few breeders that I'm aware of , maybe like me they hate to type, or maybe it's secret stuff, That's it - secret stuff.

Oh, by the way...nice gravel :D . Your time in the hobby is showing :shock2:

:fishy::fishy:

dsuperman
February 5th, 2015, 10:11 PM
Wow,he has skills with his mouth! I thought they either ate them or they didn't. That gravel is my 50 year blend,its secret stuff.:slap: It is hard on the eyes, maybe that male spawned just to get outta dere!:fishy:
How are you doing with those corydorus snufflelufigus?

elcue
February 6th, 2015, 12:41 PM
How are you doing with those corydorus snufflelufigus?

They're doing well, all have nice fat bellies. Lost 7 during the first few days of feeding, no losses since. The adults kinda look like c. aeneus but w/ a longer snout, very active/prolific (they're keeping my cichlids well supplied w/ eggs) I'll save some fry for you.

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=131

elcue
February 8th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Feeding time :shock2: No wonder they have full bellies :chuckle:

No worries, excess flows into the main tank...

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=132

dsuperman
February 8th, 2015, 05:59 PM
I could feed my whole fishroom with your "excess" lol. Stock online photos of your C stenocephalus shows "color" in the tails,yet i don't see it in your photo of the adults.:confused:

elcue
February 8th, 2015, 09:12 PM
I could feed my whole fishroom with your "excess" lol. Stock online photos of your C stenocephalus shows "color" in the tails,yet i don't see it in your photo of the adults.:confused:

Trust me there isn't a shrimp left. The stenos are like chameleons when the picture taking starts. In some they're dark, others washed out, colored tails, no color in tails. In some they shine like gold tetras, others they're covered in a sooty grey. I'm going to take pictures till they look like zebra plecos and then sell them on aquabid :chuckle:

dsuperman
February 9th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Allow me a first bid of 39 cents, no? But they must be black with white stripes, i don't like white with black stripes!:slap: It would have to be named by you [corydorus Elqueiaiaidae] .Really,that would be a nice fish.:)

elcue
February 9th, 2015, 12:44 PM
This seems to be a more active thread so I'm linking my oto question here in hopes of receiving more views/opinions

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1907

elcue
March 18th, 2015, 09:33 PM

:fishy::fishy: Here's an update on the stenos, they're not little specks anymore, some are .75in.

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=134

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=133

elcue
April 24th, 2015, 07:13 PM
My Krobia spawned :swim::swim: I had seen a few fry last week but they were lost... But today I saw that they had spawned again. Not the best pic, but there are a few hundred eggs in the lower left quadrant of the flower pot.

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/picture.php?albumid=26&pictureid=135

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/picture.php?albumid=26&pictureid=136

dsuperman
April 24th, 2015, 09:29 PM
Congratulations! I can see the many eggs pretty good in that photo. What is your game plan for raising the fry?

elcue
April 25th, 2015, 01:39 PM
Congratulations! I can see the many eggs pretty good in that photo. What is your game plan for raising the fry?

I’ll try to remove some once they’ve hatched, and put them in the Marina box. If the clay pot wasn’t so big, I would have put it into the Marina w/ an airstone. Then the usual, micrworms and baby brine. The eggs look good; the female is w/ them, she’ll come out for seconds and then go back; once in a while the male will check on them. Meanwhile, on the other side of the eggcrate there’s another pair going through the motions….

dsuperman
April 25th, 2015, 05:54 PM
Sweet! Good luck raising the fry.:)

elcue
April 26th, 2015, 05:16 PM
Sweet! Good luck raising the fry.:)

:thankyousign:

I just went to check and they have hatched. :):):) I moved some of the wrigglers to the Marina. The parents are searching the gravel for the ones that got away...

:swim:

MRLIMPET
April 27th, 2015, 06:51 PM
Your Krobia are beautiful; I've always liked Acara-type cichlids. How large are the adults?

dsuperman
April 28th, 2015, 05:51 PM
:fishy::fishy: Here's an update on the stenos, they're not little specks anymore, some are .75in.

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=134

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=133

:fishy: TJUDY has stenos up on AB.::swim:

elcue
April 28th, 2015, 08:00 PM
Your Krobia are beautiful; I've always liked Acara-type cichlids. How large are the adults?

I doubt if the males are 4", the females are maybe an inch less. They thoroughly searched the tank for the wrigglers that I missed, and are now taking turns tending to a nice little group w/in the nest. Very nice fish..

:fishy::fishy:

elcue
April 28th, 2015, 08:12 PM
TJUDY has stenos up on AB.::swim:

I saw that; he also has them on his site for $35ea. I brought a couple of bags to the last auction, along w/ a adult male barbatus and some togolensis killies. I didn't hang around so I don't know what they went for, hope they had some good bidding (coffee/cake $ for the mtgs). They're nice fish, very active.

elcue
May 1st, 2015, 05:24 PM

I just went to check and they have hatched. I moved some of the wrigglers to the Marina. The parents are searching the gravel for the ones that got away...

:swim:

Here's a shot of the male w/ his little shoal. :) The fry readily take baby brine

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/picture.php?albumid=26&pictureid=137

dsuperman
May 2nd, 2015, 09:50 AM
Nice photo, handsome male. Altogether you must have many fry.:)

elcue
May 2nd, 2015, 04:08 PM
Nice photo, handsome male. Altogether you must have many fry.:)

Altogether? I have the ones that I took out, his, are gone. :( They were gathering them up last night, but, this morn -nothing. I'm seeing tubes, so they're going to spawn again... Would you like a pair? other than eating hundreds of offspring they're very nice fish...

dsuperman
May 2nd, 2015, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the offer,but i'll have to pass. :sadpace: