PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Recovery

Astchiefy
November 3rd, 2012, 03:16 PM
Now that I got power back the healing will begin. My reef tank made it 5 days with temps in the low 60's. Thanks to a very usefull fireplace and many fallen trees we didn't freeze to death. The next project is nursing the ph and other levels back to where they were. Corals were closed do to lack of light. Has anyone managed through the storm without tank crash..?

stevem
November 5th, 2012, 06:18 PM
i also went through the same no electric, and my tanks where also down to 68 deg
I survived by do water changes during with warm water and mixing salt by hand
I ha no losses

I also removed all filter media and discarded as soon as the power went down
cleaned out my skimmers and kept battey air stone in both the tanks and the sumps

so keep doing small frequent wc, and u should be fine

the trick is to keep water moving
i went through a ton of d batteries, was out searching for them
found them in lowes on hamilton ave lucky
one big mistake people make is feeding there fish in a black out
they are fine with no food for awile, and it keeps the nitrates down
saltwater starts to die off very quickly so that is why u remove the media and clean out the filter right a way

Astchiefy
November 5th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Luckily I use a refugium and my sump does not hold filter media other than a GFO reactor, skimmer and trickle filter they were well maintained as they are exposed to open air. Closed systems tend to generate nitrate and other crud. My planted tank didnt miss a beat as I kept air pumping into it the plants did the rest...

stevem
November 6th, 2012, 11:17 AM
i also have a refug on 1 of my reefs
the one with the refug i forgot to clean out the skimmer, and when I started it up the water got cloudy and even smelly on my 150
I did quick water changes and cleaned out the rest of the skimmer
the stagent water in the skimmer could have caused problems had I not been there when it started.

xoomer
November 6th, 2012, 04:34 PM
My tank survived the storm thanks to the fact that we didnt lose power.

Unfortunately reading the news not everyone was as lucky.

Hope everone recovers quick.

Astchiefy
November 7th, 2012, 09:21 PM
You should smell what I cleaned out of the protein skimmer today. Those fish must have been eating lasagna last week in the dark. My wife though I had chili for lunch or something....

I wouder how the Aquarium is doing. Any word. I'd like to help them out if possible. Are we meeting this week in light of all going on there?

stevem
November 8th, 2012, 07:34 PM
it survived because i was watching it
right

Astchiefy
November 10th, 2012, 03:22 AM
Finally seeing corals bouncing back. The PH is back up and the dark time even spurred some fun fish activity.. clowns started playing around in the dark. I'll be shooting video as I build a back up system very soon

Astchiefy
November 10th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Just not a 1000 watt inverter from eBay. Hooked up to a 12v marine battery it will run a heater and small it circulation pump for days. All together $70 bucks worth of security..

Any other ideas?

stevem
November 12th, 2012, 01:26 PM
i love to hear ideas for that