PDA

View Full Version : algea

john fox
December 29th, 2012, 02:48 PM
is there such a thing as white algae ?? on the front glass :shock2:of my 55 there is somthing similar to algae but its not green i rub it off with a green pad but it comes back . any ideas

Astchiefy
January 1st, 2013, 09:52 PM
I've had that when I was in an apartment. Came from the hardness of the water. Pipes that are old will also contribute...Have you tested carbonate hardness? Since in this house I haven't had it anymore

john fox
January 1st, 2013, 10:02 PM
No I have not but I just ordered the kit from foster and smith as I had the gift card . I imagine I can just use the scrubber to get it off and if it is the carbonate how do you solve it😍

Astchiefy
January 2nd, 2013, 12:17 AM
I used a dechlorinater and baking soda. Test the tank water. Take a sample and Mix a small amount and test it for hardness.. You'll see a difference. Certain filter media does that too . Old Carbon.

john fox
January 2nd, 2013, 09:41 AM
I will test that out as soon as my test kit comes this is a brand new tank and its ugly to see on the front of the tank😪😭

robertprice
February 13th, 2013, 02:30 AM
For most algae problems, the best solution is a Prochilodus insignis. My 55 was a algae and hair algae mess after the summer sun came in, and I got a Prochilodus at Sam's in Chinatown. He said it would eat every bit of algae in the tank. It did, in about 2 weeks. Now its twice as big as when I bought it.