PDA

View Full Version : Undescribed White Cichlids at Spring Auction

robertprice
May 11th, 2013, 07:46 PM
They were leucistic Honduran Red Points. See "Images of Honduran Red Points." There is one pictured from The Art and Photography of Mo Devlin

stevem
May 12th, 2013, 11:43 AM
I looked at the pictures
very cool looking fish
thanks for the info

robertprice
May 12th, 2013, 05:32 PM
I thought they were that at the meeting but I'd never seen the Leucistic phase before.

robertprice
May 12th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Polit Island Lion Cichlids (who are not really corrupt members of Congress) are becoming available. These beautiful blue Pseudotropheus species may actually be restricted to Polit Island in Lake Malawi, but are now being captive bred. They are extremely aggressive, and 5 inch males maintain territories as long as 6 feet. You can see them at "Images of Polit Lion Cichlids A brief description is on the Sydney Cichlid Page.

robertprice
May 14th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Polit Cove Lions are coming out on Yahoo Fish. There's been a lot of interest in the last 2 weeks. They may defend the biggest territory of any 4 inch fish in the world.

hanzla2001
May 15th, 2013, 07:32 PM
I actually have some growing out. I got mine from old world amazing looking fish. I believe Atlantis preorder list had them last time. They were going for 40 dollars each. I should have gotten them. But changed my mind :(.

stevem
May 19th, 2013, 07:31 PM
i know it is good to use the scientific names, but most hobbist do not know them
u should always throw in the common name also
I did look them up very nice looking fish
r they very aggresive?

hanzla2001
May 20th, 2013, 12:00 AM
Steve that is the common name and yes they are aggressive but real nice fish to have

stevem
May 20th, 2013, 06:40 PM
do they go with other african cichlids

robertprice
May 20th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Polit Cove Lions, Pseudotropheus polit, while extremely territorial is also a free water swimmer that actively seeks out algae. In captivity they should have foods high in Spirulina. They are not nice to each other, and males bump the females hard to make them cough their fry up. They are not the best community fish as the fish that will stand up to them are usually big enough to eat or attack them. Polit Coves only get about 4." They can get away with maintaining 6 foot territories in the Lake, but in the tank they can be little monsters.

robertprice
May 20th, 2013, 10:00 PM
They are Archocentrus sp. unknown as they were badly described as A. spilurus. They may be the closest relative of a Convict, but their behavior is much more peaceful.