PDA

View Full Version : Clown Knifefish Aggressive?

robertprice
May 14th, 2013, 09:36 AM
I have to disagree with WetWebMedia's opinion on Clown Knifefish aggression, especially toward cichlids. I have a 16 inch one living with 3 Ranibow Cichlids, a Red Ceibal, an Albino Dinosaur Bichir, a Prochilodus, a Synodontis, and a Chocolate Cichlid, all pretty tame guys. He has never bothered any of them. They are the most aggressive eaters I've seen since Jaws, however. Not at all unusual for him to splash a half pint of water on the floor just grabbing and swallowing some big pellets or shrimp.

stevem
May 14th, 2013, 05:43 PM
I have had them in the past, and found they will eat anything that fits in ther mouth.
There r always exceptions to the rule

robertprice
May 17th, 2013, 10:22 PM
They will eat anything that fits in their mouths. I was skittish about adding the Rainbows at first, but they are a bit too big to interest him.

stevem
May 19th, 2013, 07:22 PM
for now clown knives get pretty big

robertprice
May 20th, 2013, 02:39 AM
Yes, they do get big, but they don't get any more aggressive as they age. Common sense would dictate they are are not tank mates for livebearers, but they completely ignore any fish they don't think they can swallow. My big one sleeps with a small Synodontis a lot, and there have never been any incidents.

stevem
May 20th, 2013, 06:39 PM
r these malawi

robertprice
May 20th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Clown Knifefish are from SE Asia. Polit Cove Lions are from Malawi.

stevem
May 21st, 2013, 05:07 PM
i was talking about the
Polit Cove Lions

robertprice
May 21st, 2013, 08:39 PM
I'm wondering whether you could keep them with Frontosas. They aren't likely to take any crap- from a Polit, but they might fight.