PDA

View Full Version : Flowerhorn Says "Eat My Spit"

robertprice
July 14th, 2013, 07:23 AM
At about 11 PM on Saturday, July 13, my large male Flowerhorn, who's lights I had turned off at 8:30, launched a few tablespoons of water clear across my bedroom right in my face while I was watching TV. (a distance of 10 feet). He was still hungry. And I imagine he knows very well who feeds him, as my lizard was also watching TV only about 2 feet from his tank, and he didn't spit at him.

stevem
July 14th, 2013, 12:59 PM
is that normal
I never heard of that
are you teasing him

stevem
July 14th, 2013, 01:00 PM
what ph do you have the flowerhorn in
can they go with African cichlids?

robertprice
July 14th, 2013, 04:04 PM
No, it's not normal, except for him. I've had dozens of others and never seen this behavior before. I don't tease him, but I usually feed him before I go to sleep, and I fed him after he spit at me. He has spit at my lizard once before, but they hate each other and only carry on when the lights are on. He also keeps the female prisoner behind 2 very large stones where he can't fit, except at night when she sneaks out to eat when she sees me. He has never biten her put very emphatically herds her back in.

robertprice
July 14th, 2013, 04:11 PM
I imagine you could keep a female Flowerhorn or a juvenile with African Cichlids. Like their Central American Amphilophine ancestors, Flowerhorns do best at pH 7 to 7.5. Adult males, however, are quite capable of killing anything of another species in the tank, and usually will. They do get 18 inches long and my foot long male can draw blood when he bites. Obviously, they think their territory actually extends as far as they can see outside the tank. The males are "Frankenstein" fish in every sense of the word: extraordinarily intelligent, strong, adaptable, and cruel. The much smaller females are about as bad as Jaguar or Cuban Cichlids, so can be in a very large tank with tankmates of an equal nature.

robertprice
August 12th, 2013, 11:25 AM
August 12 - My large pair of breeder Flowerhorns seem to patching up their 3 month spat. After 2 months of dancing this spring but no agreement on a nest, they got fairly belligerent and the male ran and ate all the female's food first so I had to distract him to feed her. For the last few days, they have been digging a little and doing some very minimal, but friendly dancing.