PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Pseudosphromenus

rdebonis
March 8th, 2009, 12:07 PM
http://board.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/software/Smileys/default/huh.gif
Has anyone on this site successfully bred Pseudosphromenus dayi or Pseudosphromenus cupanus. The common names are Brown Spiked Tail Paradise and Spiked Tail Paradise respectively. I have an adult pair of P. dayi that I won at the BAS auction and I'm getting 6 juvenile P. Cupanus within the next few weeks. I would like to breed them, particularly, P. Cupanus because they're pretty rare, but I have read a number of differing articles on the water parameters. Some say they like temperatures in the mid to high 80's F others say mid 70's F. Same with the PH. Some say 6.0 to 6.5 others say 7.0 to 7.5. The one point they all agree on is they both need soft water. Both fish originate in Malaysia and S.E Asia so that should say something about the temperature and GH, however maybe not. As you know if you have read about fish collecting, conditions where the same fish are found can vary significantly. In any event I'm hoping someone who has already bred them can help me out.

piaba
September 12th, 2009, 09:53 PM
i had P. dayi spawn in my tank. i didn't do anything out of the ordinary, they bred on flake and pellet food even. tank was heavily planted with lots of java moss, temps were normal tropical temps (min. mid-70's to high 80's in the summer). i don't test my water, but it's usually very soft and acidic (aged tank water). no filtration. just a small 10 gallon tank.