PDA

View Full Version : New tetras wrecking havoc on community tank

Louise
September 17th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Sept. 17, 2009/Thursday

Last Friday at the BAS meeting I got three tetras and on Saturday I purchased 5 more at Petco and now my guppies seem to be disappearing and my Platys seem stressed. Is this because those little tetras are bullies? I am ready to try to turn them in to PetLand for some calm in my tank. Do you recommend I de-tetra my tank? And if so what is recommended. More Platys, or Mollies or Guppies ... I would like a few more than 10 fish in my 30 gallon planted tank.

Any opinions and suggestions would be appreciated.

Louise

rdebonis
September 17th, 2009, 08:21 PM
1. Did you quarantine the new fish? Always quarantine new fish in a separate tank for 1 to 2 weeks to make sure they are not carrying any diseases or parasites.

2. Check your pH. Guppies, Mollies and Platys like pH over 7.2, Tetras like pH between 6.5 to 7.0

Nymsley
September 18th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Just curious, what kind of tetras did you get?

rdebonis
September 18th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Sept. 17, 2009/Thursday

Last Friday at the BAS meeting I got three tetras and on Saturday I purchased 5 more at Petco and now my guppies seem to be disappearing and my Platys seem stressed. Is this because those little tetras are bullies? I am ready to try to turn them in to PetLand for some calm in my tank. Do you recommend I de-tetra my tank? And if so what is recommended. More Platys, or Mollies or Guppies ... I would like a few more than 10 fish in my 30 gallon planted tank.

Any opinions and suggestions would be appreciated.

Louise

Not sure I know what de-tetra means other than get rid of them. What type of Tetras are these ferocious meat eaters? I believe Piranha are members of the Tetra family, I hope they're not juvenile Piranhas? If they are de-tetra the tank immediately! :D

If you decide the Tetras are harmless and decide to keep them, I would suggest you add more Guppies and Platys. Mollies because they are brackish water fish can be a little tricky. Remember to quarantine the new stock for a couple of weeks in a separate tank. The pH in a community tank with this mix of fish should be kept at 7.0 which is pretty easy if you have New York City water.