PDA

View Full Version : Small Shark

rdebonis
April 4th, 2009, 04:20 PM
What are the smallest sharks available for a home aquarium?

Sasha
April 6th, 2009, 09:20 AM
sand sharks & nurse sharks also I think a bamboo shark. Even when small they require a large 180+ tank with very fine sand. Their tanks should be rather shalow but with big foot print.

rdebonis
April 6th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Where can I get more information on keeping these sharks? Is there a website that specializes in Sharks? Also, where are they usually found for sale?

bderen
April 7th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I believe the most popular sharks for captivity are banded cat or bamboo sharks. They grow to 3 feet in captivity so you'll need a decent 240 plus tank. They also grow very fast if cared for properly with most growing up to 2 feet within their first year. Stay away from nurse sharks or anything larger. Ideally the tank's length should be 3 times the length of the shark and width being twice the length of their body. The more surface the better. a 3 foot shark would ideally have at least a 9 x 6 foot tank. Good luck keeping one, they look magnificent if you can upkeep one.

stevem
April 11th, 2009, 04:11 PM
First nurse sharks get to 5' to big for the home aquarium.
I have had a bamboo, that I actually hatch from an egg. Very cool too hatch, but a very boring shark.
Bamboo are very calm, pretty much lay on the bottom all the time except for feedig time. Most of the smaller sharks are a little inactive, all the realy good one get too big for home aqauriums.

stevem
May 30th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I was mistaken Nurse sharks get 10 - 14 ft way to big for any tank.
They would need something on the way of a pool.
Stay away from them.

Sasha
May 30th, 2009, 11:38 AM
10-14ft??? :shock2: I always though they were one of the smaller species. Oupsie.

stevem
May 31st, 2009, 08:51 PM
Yeah they start off small. This is one fish that should not be sold at your local pet store.

Halfbeaks1
May 2nd, 2010, 08:39 AM
I read an article once where a hobbist built a 3- foot deep pool in his basement for a nurse shark and ran the water through buckets of sand as a biological filter. The shark was if I remember right was about 4 feet. I hope no one ever fell in the pool.:shock2:

xoomer
May 3rd, 2010, 09:24 AM
Are they that aggressive?? Always thought nurse sharks are very mild mannered.

Lewis555
December 29th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Hey guys, i really glad to join your interesting topic about shark, please let me know the feed of mini shark, because i want to buy the mini shark for my fish glass tank.

stevem
December 30th, 2010, 06:26 PM
There are no mini sharks , even the smaller ones get about 3 feet. Like bamboos. Most of the smaller sharks are very boring, they don't swim around too much.
You would need atleast a 180 gal for those.

xoomer
January 3rd, 2011, 02:36 PM
<original comment removed>

sorry guys, needed to test something

stevem
February 1st, 2012, 09:33 PM
you have to be carefulll, just because they sell them in the store doesn't mean it is good for your tank.
I have seen nurse sold in local pet shops. They get way to large for any home aquarium( 14 ft)
There are some sharks that stay about 2" feet like the bamboo shark , even that would need atleast a 180 gallon. The problem with the bamboo they are pretty boring they hang out on the bottom most of the time. the Epaulette is another that gets about 3"
research the shark before you buy one.