PDA

View Full Version : Consumption

rdebonis
April 4th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Has anyone had success treating a fish that has Consumption? On rare occasions I will receive a fish that develops consumption within a week after I get it. I think it's a virus and is caused by poor water conditions, it does not appear to spread from one fish to another. I have never successfully cured it and the fish eventually expires, but I have heard of some people successfully curing a fish with this disease. Has anyone else heard of this?

alazandv
April 6th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Never had a fish with "consumption" problem, what are the symptoms?

BTW. My fish don't expire, they fade away. hehehe

rdebonis
April 6th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Never had a fish with "consumption" problem, what are the symptoms?

BTW. My fish don't expire, they fade away. hehehe

The fish become listless, they stop eating and they begin to waste away. The body of the fish becomes concave and they get very thin. There are no other outward signs, no spots, and no fin or body lesions etc.
:(

bderen
April 7th, 2009, 10:54 AM
The fish become listless, they stop eating and they begin to waste away. The body of the fish becomes concave and they get very thin. There are no other outward signs, no spots, and no fin or body lesions etc.
:(

Sounds like an internal parasite (virus) that you would normally encounter with salt water fish. Sometimes you just can't save them as that condition is probably past the point of no return. I've read this article once in the magazine that stated that you can't hold yourself responsible for every single death. Fish go through a lot of stress going through the supply chain, different species handle the process differently with some never making it to the aquarist and some "expiring" right after arriving at their final destination. It's just sad