PDA

View Full Version : What is a Nano Tank?

rdebonis
April 10th, 2009, 01:08 PM
What is a Nano Tank exactly? It seems to me to be merely a small tank. Can you put fish in it, or is it only for invertebrates? What are people trying to achieve with a Nano Tank?

stevem
April 11th, 2009, 04:05 PM
A nano tank is usually 20 gal an under. Yes you can put fish, or inverts in it, or even coral. The main purpose for a nano I would think is limited space. It is also harder to maintain a smaller tank then a larger one, so I guess it has a little to do with ego. pride.

bderen
April 15th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Yeah nanos are small tanks, usually cubes below 30G. Red Sea I believe sells kits that you can start with. Depending on inhabitants some upgrade these kits with stronger pump for increased water flow.

As steve has mentioned they are harder to maintain becuase of the small amount of water. Any negative change in water chemistry can be disastrous. Many advanced hobbyists have been keeping these "desktop" tanks very sucessfully though but I would not recommend such small setup to a beginner.

Qckwzrd
September 7th, 2013, 07:34 PM
My nano tank is a 5.5 gallon tank with various zoas, ricordias, and a few lps. Besides corals I have 6 sexy shrimp, two clowngobies, one blue leg hermit and one snail. I perform 50% water changes every week. More work for people with less space.

john fox
September 7th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Somebody created the word NANO so they can sell u a little tank for a lot of money haha

stevem
October 16th, 2014, 11:23 PM
a nano tank is considered any tank up to a 20 gal
some say up to a 30 gal

Astchiefy
October 17th, 2014, 10:42 AM
I see nano tanks as more of a self challenge. The problem arises when new hobbyist take it on thinking it's easier. Definitely not the case..beautiful when done right.

stevem
October 17th, 2014, 12:35 PM
No small tanks are more of a challenge

StuHersh
October 17th, 2014, 02:01 PM
:smash:No small tanks are more of a challenge

:smash: Nano nano, didn't Mork have one?

stevem
October 17th, 2014, 06:31 PM
He didn't have it
he said it