PDA

View Full Version : Great Killie

Halfbeaks1
June 4th, 2010, 08:09 AM
I picked up a trio of Aphanius mento. They remind me of Pearl fish Austrolebias nigripinis but are easy to keep. I tried Aust. nigripinis but they were picky about food and never acclimated and I lost them. The Aphanius mento settled in right away and even eats flake food with gusto. They are from the middle east and like hard alkaline water. The main problem with this fish is that the males are very hard on the females. I learned this the hard way. My male immediately killed one of my two females and had to be separated. This fish should be kept in a 20 gal. tank with about 20 males and females to spread aggression. My male is doing great in a community tank with some Skiffa multipunctata and the female is in with some endlers.:crayfish:

Qckwzrd
August 26th, 2012, 01:25 PM
are you going to try and breed them in the future?

Halfbeaks1
September 10th, 2012, 07:10 PM
I am sorry to say I was not successful breeding this fish the males are real ruff on the females. If the females are not ready the males kill them. They are a great fish that i will try in the future. Aquabid usually has some great species of this fish for sale in the egg section.