Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum

Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum (http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/index.php)
-   New To Saltwater Hobby (http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New (http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1685)

john fox January 12th, 2014 02:55 PM

New

I have a flu val spec. 2 gal desktop that I would like to do saltwater what is the best way to get this going ?

stevem January 12th, 2014 06:14 PM

2 gal nano

keep in mind the smaller the tank the less room for error
yes it can be done with even a simple overflow filter, it is too small to probably install a skimmer that actually works.
you have to be very diligent about your water changes and your filters
you r only going to fit 1 or 2 very small fish
live rock always helps, so u increase the biological filtration.

john fox January 12th, 2014 07:57 PM

I was thinking corals only ; they were saying leathers grow slow so I would be looking at something like that

john fox January 13th, 2014 02:46 PM

Ok here s the deal I m gettin away from the idea of a 2 gallon and now have a 15 gal , to set this tank for salt should I buy live sand and live rock or can I skip the live sand . Now do I put tap water and add salt and measure the salinity with a hydrometer ?? The 15 gal is used with a hob filter and fluorescent 1 foot bulb. Help I need steps to get this going 🐬🐬😎👍

stevem January 13th, 2014 09:12 PM

nano

corals mean strong light and good current

john fox January 13th, 2014 09:46 PM

Up date. Ok so I bought 10 lbs of live sand from BKLYN zoo , could have went to PETLAND as there closer but , at the zoo I got my 10% now just waiting for a friend to bring me 15 gallons of salt water. As far as lighting and current no corals yet as the tank has to cycle . HOW LONG WILL THAT take ? TY Steve

john fox January 13th, 2014 09:47 PM

My friend told me to ck out Manhattan reefs market place

stevem January 13th, 2014 10:18 PM

nano

I thought this was a 2 gal tank why 15 gal water

as soon as yyou put in live rock you need to gwet light on it and current
as far aas the cycle if you use live rock and live sand it usually cycles in about a week

stevem January 13th, 2014 10:26 PM

manh reef is good place to get live rock

stevem January 13th, 2014 10:30 PM

what size is the tank

john fox January 13th, 2014 11:10 PM

Update: as I said about the fourth post, it's now a 15 gallon tank :)) so my friend upstairs has an r/o and had just made 15 gallons for a water change on his tank and like a good neighbor he has it in a bucket on wheels with a sump pump and brought it down , and Wahla the tank is running WELCOME TO THE SALT WORLD 🐬🐟🐠🐳🐙🐚

stevem January 14th, 2014 10:01 PM

thats all good
now what lighting r u using

john fox January 15th, 2014 12:59 AM

For now it's a regular floresant I think it's a 1ft bulb. My friend also gave me a green. Star polyp frag so we will c what happens he said it will take off (:-))

stevem January 15th, 2014 01:59 PM

lighting

A regular flor is not going to cut it for corals
unless u get non Photosynthetic
and there r not many
and they have to be target feed
like sun corals

john fox January 15th, 2014 06:25 PM

Do you means corals, non photosynthetic ? And what would you suggest as far as lighting for this simple 15 gal tank . Thanks

stevem January 17th, 2014 12:13 AM

yes there r non photo corals
not many