Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum

Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum (http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/index.php)
-   Chemicals (http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Reef addtives. (http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/showthread.php?t=62)

Sasha April 7th, 2009 11:16 AM

Reef addtives.

I was at a local fish store and there were all these bottles with chemicals for my reef tank. The only thing I use now is my iodine, but there were calcium, magenesium, strontium etc. Do I need all this stuff to get my tank going? Boy this hobby is going to be expensive if I have to buy all these extra bottles.

stevem April 9th, 2009 08:41 PM

By doing your water changes you should keep most of your levels just fine.
I too use to use all those chemicals, but have got away from most of them.
I still use iodine too. I also use a 2 part calcium and alkalinity mix.
Most of your salt mixes contain most off the other chemicals, but if you don't do water changes regularly you might have to add some chemicals.

alazandv May 4th, 2009 11:16 AM

I use Iodine and strontium occassionaly about a cap of each once a month. I tend not to need the other stuff anymore as water parameters are very stable. At the begining I had to use a lot of alkalinity because my pH was going down and I had somewhat big swings.

bderen May 4th, 2009 11:38 AM

I also use Iodine, but be carefull no to overdose. I've heard that leather corals like somewhat higher lever of iodine but don't know exactly the required level.

stevem May 4th, 2009 06:56 PM

chemicals

I use less then the manufacturer suggest, keep in mind they tend to over due it.
The more you use the more they make.

InfernoST September 13th, 2009 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasha (Post 128)
I was at a local fish store and there were all these bottles with chemicals for my reef tank. The only thing I use now is my iodine, but there were calcium, magenesium, strontium etc. Do I need all this stuff to get my tank going? Boy this hobby is going to be expensive if I have to buy all these extra bottles.

It really depends on what you want to keep, this is going to determine which elements get depleted quicker and what you need to add.

InfernoST September 13th, 2009 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bderen (Post 204)
I also use Iodine, but be carefull no to overdose. I've heard that leather corals like somewhat higher lever of iodine but don't know exactly the required level.

Iodine is something I wont dose because the test kits that are available don't give actual Iodine specific readings.

stevem September 13th, 2009 10:58 PM

what you keep make a world of diffference, Hard corals and softies need different things.
for example sps corals are going to need more calcium more light and usually more flow.
In general I feel most manufacturs will tell you to use more then you have to.

fishtank1980 September 25th, 2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasha (Post 128)

Sasha,

You need all you stated above for a reef tank, with out those chemicals your tank will deminsh over a period of time... Certain salt mix's have most of them in there so you can by Reef Crystals for exaple and do a 20% water change every 1 to 2 weeks and be ok... Depending on the amount of corals you add to your tank you will need more CALCIUM which is key for their growth and colors...

Thanks, Eddie:)

stevem September 25th, 2009 09:38 PM

most of the name brands do have the element in them you need, but in less you do regular water changes they will do no good in the box.

food123 August 21st, 2016 01:08 AM

I also use Iodine with limited dosage.