Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum

Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum (http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What are you breeding? (http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1327)

MRLIMPET October 25th, 2012 06:59 PM

What are you breeding?

I'm starting this thread in the hope that forum members will brag about what species of fish they are breeding & perhaps include photos. Currently I'm attempting to breed Laetacara araguaiae, a nice little SA dwarf very similar to L. curviceps. They've spawned for me 3 times in the last 6 weeks, once on the substrate & twice on a piece of shale. The parents do a great job taking care of the eggs & wrigglers, but once the fry are free swimming their numbers begin to dwindle, til after about a week all of the fry have been eaten by their parents. Out of perhaps 600 or so fry I now have one left, the smartest or luckiest of the bunch. Next time they spawn I'm going to remove the fry as soon as they become free swimming, & if I'm lucky I'll have some babies to share with my fellow BAS members.

stevem October 27th, 2012 08:29 PM

breading

I think thats a great idea
I am currently breading self cloning crayfish, least killies, and mosquito fish
I also frag coral

Astchiefy October 28th, 2012 05:43 PM

I have been trying to breed Betta's for some time and have not yet had success. The pairing goes well, they mate up, I put them together then it goes no where. Any body had regular success?? Check out my video below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSbjf...&feature=g-upl

Astchiefy October 28th, 2012 05:49 PM

I got a few different males and females which I have been experimenting with but I am debating which one to try pairing up...

Double tail
Crown tail
royal blue hybrid

Bonnie November 1st, 2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRLIMPET (Post 2506)
I'm starting this thread in the hope that forum members will brag about what species of fish they are breeding & perhaps include photos. Currently I'm attempting to breed Laetacara araguaiae, a nice little SA dwarf very similar to L. curviceps. They've spawned for me 3 times in the last 6 weeks, once on the substrate & twice on a piece of shale. The parents do a great job taking care of the eggs & wrigglers, but once the fry are free swimming their numbers begin to dwindle, til after about a week all of the fry have been eaten by their parents. Out of perhaps 600 or so fry I now have one left, the smartest or luckiest of the bunch. Next time they spawn I'm going to remove the fry as soon as they become free swimming, & if I'm lucky I'll have some babies to share with my fellow BAS members.

Ha, put me on the list for a few when and if you get any fry.
The only fish that I have that may breed for me are my blue finned Kribs. They made a nice little
home in a clay tube, fingers crossed hopefully I'll look in and see mom with some fry.

john fox November 1st, 2012 08:48 PM

I'm breeding black Moscow gups and my Africans have had some fry😎🐳

Astchiefy November 3rd, 2012 03:08 PM

Still Trying

Thanks to Hurricane Sandy my tanks dropped to 63 degrees. If it were not for my battery back up pumps and Gods hands I'd be sunk.

I hope you are still OK. There were disasters everywhere here in Brooklyn. The bettas must have a gaurdian angel... Theyre still alive and kicking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyol-Mou0xU&feature=g-upl[/url]

john fox November 4th, 2012 09:23 AM

thats a great idea live well pumps<< i just hope i can get 1 before the nor easter wed into thursday comes .GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

Bonnie November 5th, 2012 08:12 PM

A few people I know have gotten them already. I think that's next on my list. I do have a small electric power pack 400watts that is charged and will be used if I loose power.
Lets all say a prayer that this storm is a bust!

stevem November 6th, 2012 11:24 AM

i had 2 battery backups 350 watts each
they only last several hours on a full charge
with just a small power head

Bonnie November 7th, 2012 07:56 PM

Hmmm, that's not good, I better get battery operated ones.

stevem November 8th, 2012 07:23 PM

battery bu

they saved me
if i did not have them i would be cleaning out my tank now.

john fox November 18th, 2012 10:21 AM

I'm gettin a lot of fry from my Africans and I'd like to bring some into the auction my only problem is how do I catch them without disturbing the tank there is a lot of caves and rock and they are quick ?? 😟😟

Bonnie November 18th, 2012 08:03 PM

I can only say I had to remove rock and wood to get 3 bristle nose pleco's. The darn things were fast!
My boyfriend used 2 nets and herded them in,lol, it was a riot:) But seriously if they're that fast you're going to have a bit of a mess. When I took out my Geo.Steindachneri from my 75g I had a bunch of uprooted plants.

stevem November 18th, 2012 09:12 PM

that should be fun
I have done that a few times, I ended up rearanging the tank

john fox November 23rd, 2012 11:30 AM

YES I THINK REARANGING THE TANK FROM TIME TO TIME IS THE WAY TO GO THIS WAY IT DOESNT GET TOO BORING , I ALSO THINK MY YELLOW TAILS HAD FRY THEY R GETTIN YELLOW DORSAL AND YELLOW TAILS THERE JUST TOO YOUNG TO TELL

stevem November 24th, 2012 03:30 PM

africans

I do not agree, rearranging your tank just stresses out your fish

Bonnie November 26th, 2012 06:23 PM

You know I would have thought the same as John. I've had to move things around from time to time and they seem to like exploring. Maybe they were really saying OMG what has she done now!

Qckwzrd November 26th, 2012 11:07 PM

I currently have blue long fin danio fry, H. Formosa fry (need a new male, only have females left) A gardneri fry. I'm trying to breed some paradise fish again and a couple of killies. Also have some wild guppies in a window tank.

Bonnie November 27th, 2012 04:29 PM

Hope you breed the paradise fish again, love to get a couple for my 75g.

stevem November 27th, 2012 06:29 PM

moving decor

a great time to move things around is when you have an agreasive fish in your tank, and are adding a less aggresive fish.

john fox December 14th, 2012 07:52 PM

Fry

I have these :(small fry I would like to get out of the tank but there are a lot of hiding places and they r quick ⛄⛄any ideas .

Bonnie December 15th, 2012 08:25 AM

Wellll, don't know if anyone would agree with this but here goes. I did this many years ago when I used tubing to syphon my tanks into 30 gal garbage pails.
I took a shorter piece of tubing, started it syphoning into a bucket and syphoned up whatever fry I couldn't net out. Put a couple of gallons of tank water in and I had no problem. I think I used 1" tubing.
Bad idea...all I can say is it worked for me, it was so long ago I didn't even remember it till today while reading your reply John.

Astchiefy December 15th, 2012 08:59 PM

I use this syphon I got off ebay for $5. Works great and never gets me wet or tasting water

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Aquarium...item1e71b7127b

Astchiefy December 15th, 2012 09:07 PM

Breeding Paradise Fish

How big do those paradise fish get? are the peaceful?

:fishy:

Bonnie December 16th, 2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astchiefy (Post 2627)
I use this syphon I got off ebay for $5. Works great and never gets me wet or tasting water

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Aquarium...item1e71b7127b

And I paid $50 for my python!

john fox December 16th, 2012 10:20 AM

Imade my python ;the fitting that attaches to the sink is a water bed drain and fill kit 8.50$ It take awhile to drain so I only refill With that setup;😍😍 I drain by suction into 5 gallon buckets doing 10 gallons a week per 55gal

Qckwzrd December 16th, 2012 03:12 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zQp...e_gdata_player

These are the fry, took me a few seconds to focus the camera. They are pretty peaceful fish and have been in the hobby for many years.

Qckwzrd December 16th, 2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astchiefy (Post 2629)
How big do those paradise fish get? are the peaceful?

:fishy:

They are community fish and they are nest builders like the betta. I seperated a pair in a plastic tub half way filled with a bunch of random plants and fed the parents live worms. Took about two weeks before I seen the bubble nest and fry. I don't use a filter or heater, but once the fry hatched I use a reptile heat lamp to keep the air warm. They can get pneumonia. How's it going with the bettas?

Qckwzrd December 16th, 2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnie (Post 2597)
Hope you breed the paradise fish again, love to get a couple for my 75g.

You got it! Hopefully I get a good amount of the fry to adult hood.

john fox December 16th, 2012 07:51 PM

Wow those paradise fry almost look like guppy fry r they egg layers 😍😍😍😱

Bonnie December 18th, 2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qckwzrd (Post 2647)
You got it! Hopefully I get a good amount of the fry to adult hood.

Great, my 75g is needing some new fish:) Hope all goes well with the little guys.

Bonnie February 13th, 2013 12:15 PM

My super red bristle nose pleco's recently bred. I had 13 babies that I saw. Got about 5 in a breeder net/box in the tank. I happened to see one the other day so I guess there could be more. I was surprised when they all came up to the same spot near the heater. Hopefully they'll grow and I'll be able to bring some to auction.

stevem February 13th, 2013 08:01 PM

i would like to see them
i have never heard of super red
i have bred bristle nose many times
pretty easy to raise
keep the water clean, amd feed them raw zucinni
they also like the ph a little higher like 7.5
be sure to remove any uneaten food every day as not to polute the water

Bonnie February 15th, 2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevem (Post 2857)
i would like to see them
i have never heard of super red
i have bred bristle nose many times
pretty easy to raise
keep the water clean, amd feed them raw zucinni
they also like the ph a little higher like 7.5
be sure to remove any uneaten food every day as not to polute the water

I bought them from someone up in the Bronx last year. They are not red, because that's what I thought I was going to see, They are a deep orange color. They are pretty. Actually the man I bought them from became a member in the Queens/sister club. His tanks were "pristine"!

stevem February 16th, 2013 06:41 PM

plecos

hope u raise so many, u have to bring some to the show

Bonnie February 16th, 2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevem (Post 2865)
hope u raise so many, u have to bring some to the show

I've got some that I'm planning to bring when they get a decent size, so small now.

stevem February 17th, 2013 11:47 AM

i loved to see them
how big do these get

Bonnie February 23rd, 2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevem (Post 2873)
i loved to see them
how big do these get

Mine are about 3.5" I don't think they get more then 4ish inches. I have 6+ babies so I'll be bringing some to BAS when they are large enough. Got a picture but the little guy is on a reddish slate rock and hard to see. They're very good at hiding. I'll try and get some pics today of the ones I was able to get out and into a 10g. I've been syphoning out their tank every night to keep it clean and pick up uneaten food. They eat zuchinni and algae wafers. Also when I had them in a breeder net box I floated baby spinach leaf and they ate that too. I would find 1 or 2 of them on the bottom of the leaf. They are a nice orange color.

stevem February 23rd, 2013 11:25 AM

plecos

that sound cool
love to see them
I did feed mine romaine lettuce also
they need greens

Bonnie February 23rd, 2013 02:47 PM

Yup, that and a piece of wood.

Bonnie February 23rd, 2013 02:49 PM

A friend from another forum gave me a guppy/endler snakeskin hybrid, one male and 4 females. He bred them just to see what they'd turn out like. I'll be having plenty of those soon enough! Don't do live bearers but they were very pretty and free:chuckle:

Darn can't put a pic in of them, it's asking for a URL..

stevem February 25th, 2013 08:32 PM

driftwood also helps them digest

Bonnie March 2nd, 2013 08:53 AM

The fry are really growing! I have 1/2" babies now, they're from the older group. Maybe by April I'll be able to bring a few to the auction.

stevem March 2nd, 2013 01:12 PM

fry

that would be great, keep in mind This meeting is a 50/50 on live all stock

john fox March 2nd, 2013 08:06 PM

[IMG]

To quickly and easily share your photos, just copy and paste this link into emails, social networks, blogs, IM, and more.

[/IMG]

Halfbeaks1 March 3rd, 2013 03:48 AM

You really can't say you breed Self Cloning Crays. If you keep them wet and fed they breed you don't even need 2.:) Just try and stop them from breeding. Countries in Europe are looking at restricting them due to how fast they reproduce and may push out native species if they are released in the wild.

Bonnie March 3rd, 2013 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevem (Post 2940)
that would be great, keep in mind This meeting is a 50/50 on live all stock

I know but I think they're still too small to bring. We'll see what happens Friday, it's a week away maybe a bit more growth. If not I think definately April.

robertprice March 13th, 2013 09:48 AM

Rearranging rocks is two-headed sword. If you rearrange Malawi and Tanganyankian cichlds' rocks, you reallu upset the territoriality and they stress out because some, like Frontosas, can spend weeks arranging their rockpiles and tunnels into a semi-permanent home. On the other hand, you'd go nuts rrarranging a pair of Flowerhorn's tank. They put everything where they want it, and if you move something, they always try to move it back to where they put it. My pair has had their Eheim filter lying right over their sleeping depression for 2 months now. Every time I've tried to put it back on the glass, they pull it off and put it back over their sleeping spot. I generally only rerarrange rocks for a new fish that needs a secluded spot, or to break up intense territoriality.

MRLIMPET May 2nd, 2013 11:33 PM

Went out of town for the weekend, & when I returned home I found that one of my pairs of Macropodus ocellatus had spawned. The fry were not yet free swimming, & both parents were looking after the fry & gathering up any that fell from the nest. When the fry became free swimming the female assumed the role of sole caregiver, driving the male away whenever he tried to get close to the fry. The babies have been swimming around in some floating water sprite for three days now, & the female is still looking after them. I've never seen any accounts of this breeding behavior - the parents were acting almost like cichlids, taking turns looking after the fry & signaling to each other when one relieved the other guarding the young. I picked up the parents at the March BAS auction. There were three other bags besides the one I won, & I'm curious if any of the other winners of the fish had the same experience. BTW they're frickin' gorgeous!

Bonnie May 3rd, 2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRLIMPET (Post 3125)
Went out of town for the weekend, & when I returned home I found that one of my pairs of Macropodus ocellatus had spawned. The fry were not yet free swimming, & both parents were looking after the fry & gathering up any that fell from the nest. When the fry became free swimming the female assumed the role of sole caregiver, driving the male away whenever he tried to get close to the fry. The babies have been swimming around in some floating water sprite for three days now, & the female is still looking after them. I've never seen any accounts of this breeding behavior - the parents were acting almost like cichlids, taking turns looking after the fry & signaling to each other when one relieved the other guarding the young. I picked up the parents at the March BAS auction. There were three other bags besides the one I won, & I'm curious if any of the other winners of the fish had the same experience. BTW they're frickin' gorgeous!

Beautiful fish, I just googled them! Sorry I missed the last 2 meetings, not going to miss this one. :chuckle:

robertprice May 9th, 2013 06:09 AM

Flowerhorns Acting Badly

This year's Flowerhorn breeding has gone awry. After starting 3 different nests in 2 1/2 months and making the male dig out 50 pounds of gravel, dance every day till he drops, and move rocks and heaters, the female has decided to reabsorb her eggs and stop. The teenage male is not taking this very well. He is banging her with his hump until he can nip her, and chasing her behind the big rock. He deliberately eats all her food and now I have to feed her in a corner before he sees me. I may have to separate the once loving couple.

robertprice May 18th, 2013 04:23 PM

Macropodus

Round Tail Paradise aren't bred nearly as frequently as other anabantoids. Good job!

Bonnie August 3rd, 2013 08:33 PM

Looks like I'm going to have Whiptail Cat fry soon. One whiptail has been in the cave for at least 1 week. She came out and I can see small green eggs here and there inside.
I hope they hatch!
I have Super Red BN's if anyone wants. I hope I can catch the whiptails before they're lunch!

robertprice August 4th, 2013 10:35 AM

Dubias?

Right now I have a colony of Dubias breeding. Not what I imagined earlier this year, but at 30 cents each wholesale, I now have enough for my Bearded Dragon and my Flowerhorns to eat better than I do. It has had an interesting affect on my on-again off-again Flowerhorn pair - the female is now 8.5 inches and no longer afraid of the 11 inch male. Yesterday they actually did a little digging, first time since the Spring. I am cautiously hopeful that they will breed again by early next Spring, if not sooner.

Bonnie September 9th, 2013 02:54 PM

Hopefully will have Whiptail cat fry soon. One of the WTC's has been in that little cave for what seems like forever. I turned the cave around and i can see a load of eggs under him/her, fanning them. Hopefully fry soon!

Astchiefy September 15th, 2013 07:26 PM

You're gonna be a grandma... Lol

Astchiefy September 15th, 2013 07:34 PM

Breeding Tetras

Has anyone bred Albino Buenos Aires Tetras or black skirts. I've been raising them forever but never bred.

I'm looking for the trigger

elcue October 2nd, 2013 11:20 PM

I’ve had both spawn – there might be a trigger in here somewhere: I kept my tetras in a 30 until I noticed plump females, then I would move a pair to a 15g. The parameters in both were the same - driftwood, java moss , dark gravel, Tetra Whisper filter, soft, acidic water, 78 - 80 degree range. Weekly, massive water changes, at least 80%, right out of the sink (w/ some Novaqua). Heavily fed Hikari bloodworms, Tetra bits, and baby brine. My notes show that the black skirts spawned at temps of 78 and 80, didn’t have any on the aires, probably the same, same tank , same habits. I remember that the blacks were very fat, like marbles w/ fins. The first time they spawned I saw the eggs in the java from across the room. They were white and bad, some hatched from the second, the third spawn was fine. I’ve had this happen many times w/ tetras. I think that the females mature earlier than males of the same age. I would remove the parents asap. The good eggs are clear and hatch w/in a day. Having java and a flashlight helps to spot them, hundreds of them. I was bringing them to the auction for months…

Astchiefy October 6th, 2013 01:26 AM

Breeding Tips

This helps a lot as I have had my tetras for a while and no breeding taking place. I will try lowering the ph to see what impact that has(slowly of course) I also have betta fish in there which may also benefit from the water adjustment. Funny thing is that the fish have established certain groups which lead me to believe I'm very close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqDho...Si0DIh6MYLYuDA

MRLIMPET October 19th, 2013 11:50 AM

Picked up some Apistogramma agassizi at LFS & BAS sponsor Pacific Aquarium about a month ago. Since then they've colored up nicely & appear to be the Flamenco morph. As I write this the female is guarding some wrigglers in the leaf litter. Keeping my fingers crossed. I really love this species - they've been on my wish list since I was eleven!

elcue May 16th, 2014 03:27 PM

As I’m typing this I have a pair of Asian rummynose (Sawbwa resplendens), and a pair of Celestial pearl danios spawning in an unheated 20g – 68degrees. Got them from Rachel at the nano mtg. Eventually I’ll pull them, and arrange a better set up. The female Betta ocellata that I picked up at the last auction is plumping up nicely, hopefully w/ eggs. The male is also fattening up – starting to look like a tadpole. Maybe there will be fry for next season’s meetings :) :) :fishy:

dsuperman May 16th, 2014 10:59 PM

Asian rummynose are beautiful and so are those cpds.Good luck. I'm concentrating on a couple of guppy strains lately, plus Skiffia Multipunctatus and Paleatus cories.

elcue May 17th, 2014 02:52 PM

Thank you, maybe the rummies will spawn me a school. :swim: :swim: They are pretty, with the pale blue body and bright red/orange nose and tail tips. I cut/pasted Skiffia Multipunctatus into google, and the first link is a youtube video by you - I'm assuming that's you. Nice videos. Saw the one of your 19 year old Silver dollars; did they ever spawn?

dsuperman May 17th, 2014 07:29 PM

They have had some life up to this point,those dollars. Nope,just about every time i do a water change they go at it,never seen an egg!:scratchhead:

elcue May 24th, 2014 02:45 PM

Rats, don’t ya hate when that happens. How often do you do the water changes?
The Betta occelata that I got at the last mtg spawned. He held the eggs for two days – at least now I’m sure that I have a pair, that’s always a good start…

dsuperman May 25th, 2014 10:05 AM

All my tanks get a 30-50% water change every 10 days. Thank you python. No thanks to the city which has raised our water bills by a million percent in 20 years,seems like it..:wave:

Do you have to separate the sexes while raising those occelata?

elcue May 27th, 2014 01:20 PM

[quote=Do you have to separate the sexes while raising those occelata?[/QUOTE]

I don’t know, maybe I should. Do you mean that she might have been bothering him? They’re in w/ a lot of smaragdina. They do need their own space, too much going on in that tank. They had staked out a little territory, but once they spawned, the other fish were in his face. Not much he can do w/ a mouth full of eggs; he might have been pestered too much. Or not, who knows. Maybe I’ll try to segregate him from all the other fish. But my catching him might cause him to eat the eggs. She’s starting to plump up so there will be other chances. I’ll just try different approaches, shuffle some fish around…

dsuperman May 27th, 2014 07:36 PM

That isn't what i meant but is possible the female was harassing him. I thought you had fry,was wondering if one has to separate males/females like with splendens. Good luck playing "musical fish", i know the feeling.

elcue May 28th, 2014 10:52 AM

Now you put a bug in my head. Hopefully I’ll have fry, I think I read that they're 5mm at release, couldn’t find anything on how many he can hold. We’ll see how it goes… I’ve had splendens spawn; I didn’t separate them. What’s the reasoning for separating the sexes? I just don’t have the space. They had spawned in a 5 gal Rubbermaid, and remained there until I would bring them to the club in bags of 20+. Swirling bags of red finnage, pretty funny, people would do double takes. You never see bettas like that. I think they were too crowded to become territorial/spawn, and if they did stop swimming to fight, the filter would throw them around. It worked; for me, don’t know happy they were. The smaragdina are all together, too. Funny, it never occurred to me to separate them. They’re not easy to tell apart, we were trying to pull pairs the other day– it’s easy until the net hits the water, and then they all look alike…

dsuperman May 28th, 2014 07:21 PM

When i raised a splendens spawn of couple of years ago i took the males out as soon as they started flaring and put them in about 12 separate pretzel tubs,that was fun,lol.I didn't want them ripping finnage. .Sounds like you don't have that problem with the smaragdina, and thats a good thing for spaces sake lol.

elcue May 30th, 2014 12:50 AM

So far so good w/ the smaragdina, although the ocellata has done some minor damage- but they're learning to keep their distance for him. Found info on the ocellata brood size, 100 was observed w/ 7mm fry. Last two pages of this paper, interesting...

http://www.hollandbettashow.com/bett...eretal2004.pdf

dsuperman May 30th, 2014 01:25 PM

That is interesting. Sounds like soon you will be up to your rubbermaids in occelata!

MRLIMPET June 6th, 2014 09:02 PM

I've had male smaragdina that grew up together get along very well until the day that they don't, when all hell breaks loose. This was in a 10g grow out tank; perhaps in a roomier tank with broken lines of sight they'd be more tolerant of each other.

One of my "female" Macropodus ocellatus is now tending a nest full of fry! Sexing them is very tricky when they're young. The male is very tolerant of the female, & even lets her help round up stray fry. The little ones should become free swimming tomorrow, when I'll remove the parents & begin feeding smelly infusoria.

elcue July 10th, 2014 12:16 PM

So far there haven't been any casualties w/the smaragdina. The males will circle each other, flaring their fins, but another fish will get in the way and then it's over. I did move the occelata to another tank, maybe now he'll hold the eggs.

Here's a pic of some males, there are more on my profile page

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety...5&pictureid=80

dsuperman July 13th, 2014 03:48 PM

Those look like happy, robust fish in your album. Nice work. :bow2:

elcue July 14th, 2014 01:26 PM

Thank you. Some are quite the little fatties, the female microsynodontis sp1 are full of eggs. Hopefully this time I'll save some. Last time they released the eggs I missed it - don't know if they spawned or just released/feasted on the eggs.

I can't figure out the posting of pics on this thing. Sometimes I can see the pic in the thread w/out signing on, and then sometimes I can't. Can you see the pic w/out signing on?

dsuperman July 14th, 2014 06:20 PM

I can see it without signing on, i'm using "use.com" as my host. I can't figure out how to get a photo on at all.

elcue July 15th, 2014 06:40 PM

It's frustrating right? :crazy: I believe I was told to copy /paste the url of the picture, into the "Insert Image" pop up box , when posting a reply. I used the url for the picture from my profile page, since I don't have an account w/ any of the photo sites. I think I copied the url before I started the reply, as I couldn't toggle back and forth w/out losing the msg. And it didn't help that sometimes I saw the pic and sometimes I didn't , so thanks for answering! I think I'll try another!

elcue July 15th, 2014 06:45 PM

Microsynodontis sp 1 female full of eggs

Female Microsynodontis full of eggs. Let's think positive thoughts!

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety...1&pictureid=43

dsuperman July 15th, 2014 09:40 PM

They look like they are ready to burst! This time i couldn't see the photo without loggin in. I always feel theres a joke/cartoon in there somewhere about "upside down catfish. Think i tried once, it didn't go over. Ha. Good luck.
http://www.use.com/dsupermans_Fish_c...2052344023?p=8

elcue July 16th, 2014 10:57 AM

They get scary big for small fish, I doubt the females are 1.5in long.

Cute cartoons

elcue August 9th, 2014 06:55 PM

Betta ocellata fry

:woot2: The Betta ocellata that I picked up at the May auction released fry. I had removed the female about six days after spawning, since she was plumping up w/ eggs, and I didn't want to risk him dumping his charges to spawn again. He held them about 9-10 days at 84 degrees. They readily take brine, no idea how many... the rocks in the photo - gravel.

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety...7&pictureid=94

dsuperman August 10th, 2014 12:07 AM

Sweet, at that temp is that the norm for holding {9-10 days]? Nice photo,whats the first food for those?:)

elcue August 10th, 2014 11:52 AM

Not sure on the temp/holding, and I could be off a day. The chart that I had posted had 10 days holding, but doesn’t indicate temperatures. I had read 12 – 15 somewhere on the internet, but w/ temps in the high 70*s. From what I’ve read, my tank can get 10* warmer than ideal for the fish (it’s on a sunny windowsill). Fortunately fish don’t read (could be they just don’t have access to the internet) and they spawned anyway! I’m sure at lower temps they would have metabolized slower, and he would have held them longer. Next month …. Meanwhile, he just consumed a quarter, of a hikari bloodworm cube, poor boy’s hungry. When I noticed the fry, I fed the tank microworms and baby brine, but I'm sure they found plenty to eat prior to that, the tank has an airstone, plants, and lots of mulm. Think I’ll add a sponge…

dsuperman August 10th, 2014 09:39 PM

True, fish don't always follow the rules, sounds like yours are off to a great start!

elcue August 12th, 2014 01:46 PM

Betta ocellata fry

Caught one of the fry for a photo...

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety...7&pictureid=95

:wave:

dsuperman August 12th, 2014 07:39 PM

That giant mass of duckweed might consume that fry, watch out! :bow2:

elcue August 12th, 2014 09:26 PM

:chuckle:

I know, by the end of the week that duckweed could very easily be ten duckweed

:rofl2:

dsuperman August 13th, 2014 10:41 PM

When someone says "free duckweed !" i tell them Duckweed is never free.:smash:

robertprice August 14th, 2014 11:12 AM

Aquariumspace.com is giving it awat for free.

dsuperman August 14th, 2014 08:40 PM

Ahh, but it comes at a price! :chuckle:

elcue August 28th, 2014 12:25 PM

Ocellata update

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsuperman (Post 4109)
That giant mass of duckweed might consume that fry, watch out! :bow2:

I think the fish are winning! :D:D

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety...&pictureid=101

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety...&pictureid=100 Taken 8/10/14

dsuperman August 28th, 2014 08:28 PM

In 2 1/2 weeks thats sweet. NIce pic.

elcue August 28th, 2014 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsuperman (Post 4143)
In 2 1/2 weeks thats sweet. NIce pic.

They really stuff themselves, always fat bellies. Some are probably a half inch

elcue September 10th, 2014 06:38 PM

Ocellata fry - one month post release

Some are close to an inch. Starting to take frozen bloodworms

http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety...&pictureid=102

[IMG]:woot2::woot2:[/IMG]

dsuperman September 11th, 2014 09:17 PM

Never too late.

Those are cool fish, growing fast in your care. You sent your good breeding vibes my way when i think you asked if my ol silver dollars ever laid eggs. 22 years no eggs observed,yet one fry today.http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety...&pictureid=105http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/picture.php?albumid=14&pictureid=111:slap:http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety...&pictureid=107

elcue September 12th, 2014 01:25 PM

WOW That's so great. Keep looking, find five more. I think you need six, two month old fry, for the breeder awards program. Nice shot.
:clap: :clap:

dsuperman September 13th, 2014 12:48 PM

I'll keep looking but it might be another 20 years before i see another one,lol. I wonder how healthy this one fry could be with such old parents.:thinking:

elcue September 13th, 2014 03:32 PM

That's pretty funny, but keep looking anyway. The parents are obviously healthy, who knows, in the wild 20 might be young for silver dollars. Maybe there's hope for my raphaels (they were 5in when I got them in '95)