Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum

Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum (http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Air Hose Connection to Air Pump (http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/showthread.php?t=289)

rdebonis July 21st, 2009 07:19 PM

Air Hose Connection to Air Pump

Is there a way I can connect the air hose to the Air Pump Hose Connector Nozzle so that it doesn't loosen and fall out over time?

I have a problem with the air hose connections to the air pump over time getting loose and failing. The air hose simply loosens and falls away from the Air Pump Hose Connection nozzle and the air stops flowing to the tank. So far I've been lucky. When this happens it is usually when I'm away for a short time and by the time I reconnect the hose to the air pump there is no apparent damage to the fish or the air powered filters. My fear is that this will happen when I'm on vacation and there will be irreversible damage. Are there small plastic or metal clamps that I can buy that can be used to clamp the air hose firmly to the Air Pump Air Hose Connection nozzle?

xoomer July 22nd, 2009 09:36 AM

I think I've seen some small clamps bundled with some pumps so these tiny clamps certainly exist. I never had a problem with hoses sliping off, but rather a problem of not being able to pull them off. The old vinyl hoses get hard (read: stiff) over time and loose their grip on the nozzle.

What I would do is take a strand of solid (not stranded) copper wire (strong, yet flexible) and wrap arond the nozzle hose twice, then take the ends and grasp it with pliers and twist them together effectively locking the hose in place. I've used this method before on freshwater setups (something that would be prohibited in saltwater tanks). It never failed me.

rdebonis July 22nd, 2009 03:56 PM

Sounds like the copper wire will work. I will try it. Thanks for your Help.

uncenue09 December 9th, 2009 05:29 AM

Air Hose Connection to Air Pump

Try a Sedra 3500. I think theyre around 75 from custom aquaticYou get a good needlewheel, the venturi, and the airline hose..Pass on the gen-x.

xoomer December 9th, 2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncenue09 (Post 1060)
Try a Sedra 3500. I think theyre around 75 from custom aquaticYou get a good needlewheel, the venturi, and the airline hose..Pass on the gen-x.

I'm not sure this post belongs to this thread...elaborate please :)

rdebonis December 9th, 2009 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncenue09 (Post 1060)

Sedra 3500 is a Water Pump, what does that have to do with Air hose Connections to an Air Pump ???
Enlighten me.