Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum

Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum (http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   lighting (http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/showthread.php?t=81)

SqueakyClean April 14th, 2009 10:19 PM

lighting

How often should you chang metal halides in a reef?
What about t5 ho's?

bderen April 15th, 2009 11:30 AM

I'd say about 9-12 months for the halides and about 18 months for T5s. If you have a fixture with multiple bulbs do not replace all bulbs at the same time but replace a one/few at a time over a period of weeks as not to shock inhabitants. I currently have a fixture with 12 t5s and when the time comes (end of the year) I will change 2-4 bulbs at a time, with newer bulbs being installed every two weeks until all 12 get replaced.

Actinic bulbs however usually don't last as long as 10K bulbs and some people recommend replacing as soon as after 12-14 months. Still much better than changing T8 or T12 every 9 months.

alazandv May 4th, 2009 11:19 AM

I change my T-5 every 18-24 months. Usually they fail after 24 months anyway and have to be replaced. Remember not to change all the bulbs at once but stretch it over a period of few weeks. I use sharpie to mark the bulbs that were already replaced so that I don't replace the bulbs I just changed couple of weeks earlier and leave the old ones in there.

fishtank1980 September 25th, 2009 01:29 PM

I change my ATI bulbs in my 6 bulb Tek light fixture every 10-12 months.... I have a mixed reef...

hrhladyvic February 12th, 2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alazandv (Post 197)
I change my T-5 every 18-24 months. Usually they fail after 24 months anyway and have to be replaced. Remember not to change all the bulbs at once but stretch it over a period of few weeks. I use sharpie to mark the bulbs that were already replaced so that I don't replace the bulbs I just changed couple of weeks earlier and leave the old ones in there.

really? stretching it out works better, i though that messes up the ligt spectrum

stevem March 13th, 2010 11:58 PM

you should not change them all at once, you can burn your corals. Space out the changes

xoomer March 15th, 2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrhladyvic (Post 1305)
really? stretching it out works better, i though that messes up the ligt spectrum

If you were to listed to manuafacturers they'd tell you to change it every 2 weeks. I simply don't believe it and change it every 18 months. I've not had problems because of this with algae blooms or anything else.

stevem March 15th, 2010 07:58 PM

what do you mean every 2 weeks.

xoomer March 15th, 2010 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevem (Post 1377)
what do you mean every 2 weeks.

I exagerrated so you get my point. They'd like for you to change your bulbs as often as possible so that they make more and more $$$. Recently I purchased a full set of T5s (12 bulbs) for my Current fixture at a cost of nearly $300. :shock2:

stevem March 16th, 2010 10:28 PM

Almost what some fixture go for

xoomer March 17th, 2010 02:37 PM

You bet.

rdebonis March 28th, 2010 08:19 PM

Rather than buy expensive new light bulbs on a set schedule, would it be more advisable and less expensive in the long run to purchase a good light meter, check the lights on a regular basis and replace them when the illumination reaches a certain level? I'm sure you can find these light levels for various setups in books and on the Internet.

xoomer March 28th, 2010 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdebonis (Post 1412)
Rather than buy expensive new light bulbs on a set schedule, would it be more advisable and less expensive in the long run to purchase a good light meter, check the lights on a regular basis and replace them when the illumination reaches a certain level? I'm sure you can find these light levels for various setups in books and on the Internet.

That's an additional expense Bob. At 18 months old, these bulbs are certainly past their usefull life, hence the need to replace them in a staggered fashion as not to "burn" corals.

stevem March 29th, 2010 04:46 PM

there have been so many test published, not just my manufacturers, but authors and reef experts. The results are always the same give or take a month