Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum

Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum (http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/index.php)
-   Reef Discussion (http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Copperband Butterfly- Reef Safe? (http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1468)

robertprice May 14th, 2013 03:30 AM

Copperband Butterfly- Reef Safe?

I know Live Aquaria and Reef Tank both caution about Copperbands being safe n reef tanks. The one in the New York Presbyterian Hospital ER tank definitely isn't. When I broke my ankle in late March I watched him eating live rocks and coral non-stop for over an hour. When I checked him out a month later, he had denuded the bottom third of the reef of virtally everything. Someone in fish maintenance should straighten this out, but then again, they didn't do a great job on my ankle either.

stevem May 14th, 2013 05:50 PM

copperband and long nose r supposed to be reef safe
they haven't read the book
I had a klien, should be reef safe and eats aptasia
after there is no more he starteed to eat my coral
not an easy task catching him in a 150 reef

robertprice May 18th, 2013 05:32 AM

Bad Copperband

This one is in about a 250 gallon reef tank, and sees so many people that it is oblivious to anyone trying to stop it. I banged on the tank a few times, but it just kept gorging itself. It must have bitten the reef 100 times in one hour.

stevem May 19th, 2013 07:20 PM

copperbands

there is no set rule
I have seen them in reefs where they r fine.

robertprice May 24th, 2013 01:41 PM

Agreed...

I tried to tell them that it was eating their reef, but I was there with a broken ankle on Good Friday and I guess they thought I was just high on oxycodone.

stevem May 26th, 2013 12:18 PM

r u still on it?/

robertprice May 28th, 2013 06:49 PM

U bet!. Only way I can walk down up and down the subway stairs. My doctor says a have a goos potential lawasuit against my insurance comapny for losing 2 months worth of premuiums.

lskywalker5 January 2nd, 2014 11:51 AM

It is a hit or miss with fish like this, it depends on hoe much you feed and how frequently.

stevem January 2nd, 2014 11:27 PM

copperband

those r one of thoses fish u take a chance on
i know some that have no problems and other that killed major corals
they seem to like fleshie corals like brain or most lps.

Astchiefy January 5th, 2014 01:35 PM

Definition of Reef Safe

I take our that the greatest misconception in the hobby is that"reef safe" means all Reefs... In the term reef safe as related to the Copperband butterfly fish does not mean sPs reef safe or soft coral safe. A majority of the animals diet consists of polyps and sponges. Now the reason hobbyist typically buy the fish is to eat aiptasia anemones which are first and foremost a soft polyped animal(anemone). When those are no longer available the fish still has to eat. Now in a lps tank I've not encountered butterfly fish eating Montepora..The fish are safe but the reef tank has to be housed with the inhabitants in mind in order to maintain harmony. There are fish foods which contain sponges and foods just for butterfly fish.