Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum

Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum (http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/index.php)
-   Fish (http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   What's your FAVORITE FISH? ? ? (http://forum.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1333)

Astchiefy November 6th, 2012 01:38 AM

What's your FAVORITE FISH? ? ?

:fishy:

I am a big fan on Sailfin Tangs. What's your favorite fish ? ? ?

stevem November 6th, 2012 11:13 AM

thats not an easy answer
i like so many saltwater fish
but some of my favorites are lion fish, moray ells, blond naso, & a clown trigger

xoomer November 6th, 2012 03:57 PM

I like catfish and tilapia filets.....

xoomer November 6th, 2012 03:59 PM

oh no wait....darn post button.

My favorites are the weird looking fishes like scorpions, rock and frog fishes.

Too bad they require a species tank or I would have kept them.

Maybe one day I'll graduate to a full fish fish room with a bunch of stacked 20 or 40 gallon tanks each housing a specific creature.

Astchiefy November 7th, 2012 09:22 PM

I do want a blonde Naso but I know it will quickly become a giant in my tank.

Astchiefy November 7th, 2012 09:23 PM

Breaded or unbreaded>... Lol

Astchiefy November 11th, 2012 03:52 PM

I want to acquire a sohol tang. Beautiful but aggressive. Anybody have one? Looking for any tips on acclimation with other Tangs.

Astchiefy November 19th, 2012 12:24 AM

Just got a shipment of salwater snails from reefs 2 Go. Pretty small but well packed. I may check out their fish. I really want a Blonde Naso

stevem November 19th, 2012 06:45 PM

reefs 2go

I have used them before
good company

stevem November 19th, 2012 06:45 PM

reefs 2go

I have used them before
good company

robertprice May 21st, 2013 07:57 AM

I agree. Fresh or Salt, the strange and odd ball fish are the most interesting. Flowerhorns are by far the most interesting Freshwater Fish, with Prochilodus and Knifefish not far behind. For marine, l like Lionfish, Porcupine Puffers, Triggers, and Stonefish. My favorite invert is the Giant Cowrie. I still have the shell of one from over 30 years ago that at the time was bigger than the record sized one at the Collector's Cabinet. I caught it on Cowrie Reef off Honolulu.

stevem May 21st, 2013 04:59 PM

fav fish

there is not just one
in fresh Discus is up there.
there is nothing like a stocked african cichlid tank
Salt I love lionfish and dogface puffers
inverts peacock mantis shrimp
but a good reef tank beats them all

robertprice May 21st, 2013 08:34 PM

Somewhat Agree

I agree with the middle part.Discus are too labor intensive for me. I'd rather have a Uaru, one of my favs. And a mated pair Flowerhorn tank is like living theater.

stevem May 21st, 2013 08:58 PM

discus

agreed, discus are very labor intense. why i dont have them anymore
if u cant do atleast 2-3 wc a week do not bother

robertprice May 22nd, 2013 08:09 PM

Uarus are cooler

I actually had the first Uaru amphicanthoides in New york when I was in High School. If you have a big tank, they are more personable and much hardier than Discus, and have exactly the same shape.i

stevem May 23rd, 2013 04:41 PM

i have had them and do not think they have the exact shape
and they are no where near as colorfull

robertprice June 13th, 2013 06:24 PM

You are correct...

They are slightly more egg shaped than Discus, and not as colorful as the customized tank-bred strains, but I'd be surprised if selective breeding could not produce more colorful Uarus.

Qckwzrd September 7th, 2013 07:26 PM

I tend to lean toward small fish like clown gobies, mandarins and pipefish. Amazing colors and personalities.

robertprice September 8th, 2013 03:15 PM

My Favorite Marine Fish

Lionfish and Orange Toadfish. Orange Toadfish have lots of personality.

john fox September 9th, 2013 10:42 PM

Right now, my favorite are my black Moscow GUPPYS

robertprice September 11th, 2013 11:17 AM

Favorite Freshwater Fish

My favorite freshwater fish is still the Flowerhorn. I'll bet guppies can't spit water in your face while you are asleep from 9 feet away when they are hungry. Seriously, though, beautiful guppies and Apistogramma dwarf cichlids are so underappreciated. There are currently 81 species of known Apistos, some as small and beautiful as exotic guppies, and most people only know the Ram.

john fox September 11th, 2013 05:58 PM

There are a lot of people callin for the destruction of the flower horn because the fish can not be found in the wild it was developed in the lab . I Owned a flower horn and he NEVER spit water at me other wise he'd b other tilapia fillet. LOL

john fox September 11th, 2013 06:02 PM

Wow I just looked up and saw many pictures of apistos and they are a pretty fis are they hard to keep and readily available in all colors

robertprice September 12th, 2013 05:49 PM

In Defense of Flowerhorns

Give the Flowerhorns a break! They wren't created in labs, they were developed by selectively hybridizing mostly several related Amphilophine cichlids like Midas and Trimacs who share most of the same DNA. That's the same way they develop fancy guppy strains, the difference some moronic panjandrums cannot call the domestic guppies "mutant" fish like they do Flowerhorns because they are technically all the same species (for know at least). I am tolerant of fish intermarriages just as I am tolerant of human ones. Anything else is racsim, unless a real "Frankenstein" aberrant and horrible hybrid is created. It has been recently established that the average Human of European descent is 3-7% Neantherthal. That was a result of deliberate intermarriage, so the fish species purists who live in glass houses should not cast stones.

Actually about a month ago, someone on Yahoo also answered a question about Flowerhorns I received the Best Answer for, and said that he wouldn't be caught dead near those horrible "Frankenstein" fish. I complained to Yahoo, and they agreed his comments violated comunnity guidelines, and deleted them.

john fox October 9th, 2013 09:55 PM

Right now BLACK FISH they r tasty🐟😆😎👍👍🐠⚓️😍

Astchiefy October 10th, 2013 06:38 PM

Fish are Friends not Food

Going fishing Saturday. Hope thus weather doesn't put them off.
I lost 2 coral to a ph swing after waterchange. I hope the auction doesn't run as late this time. Fishing in the morning

john fox October 10th, 2013 09:03 PM

Which boat

john fox October 10th, 2013 10:52 PM

I hope it's a big one cause there a small craft advisory till 6am sat

Astchiefy January 5th, 2014 02:20 PM

2014 Fish

Any new fish for 2014.? Looking for new tetras for the plants tank.

xoomer January 14th, 2014 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astchiefy (Post 2574)
Just got a shipment of salwater snails from reefs 2 Go. Pretty small but well packed. I may check out their fish. I really want a Blonde Naso

I have purchased fish from them and have been very satisfied.

They ship fish that are on the small side, but if that means they survive better and you see them grow, im all for it.