View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #7
alazandv
Super Moderator

Yeah when it comes to saltwater setups, FO (Fish Only) setup would be the cheapest, followed by FOWLR (Fish Only with Live Rock) and REEF as the most expensive to both setup (stock) and maintain.

This doesn't meat this hobby has to be for rich people only. Lots of equipment can be bought second hand and corals (frags) can be obtained or traded from fellow hobbyists.

When I setup my first reef tank I spent about $2000 for the whole setup but I did a lot of research and didn't pay full retail prices. I bought some things used while others I build myself saving me hundreds of dollars. One day we sat down with my now fiance and estimated that we would have paid over $4500 if we had just bought everything outright.

Start small and take it from there but buy equipment that can be reused in bigger setups. example. If you setup a 55 gallon tank buy a skimmer that can handle 100+ gallon tank so that if you decide to upgrade you can still use it.

Page generated in 0.03029 seconds with 10 queries