View Single Post
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #2
MartyK
Egg

First of all I must make an assumption that the tank you speak of is the modern frameless all glass variety, with just a plastic (usually black) trim on top and bottom. Not the old style (hard to still find) with stainless steel framework and a slate bottom. If it is the new type without the ss frame, AND there is no visible crack, its not too hard to seal.
Obviously you must work with a completely dry tank, If possible trim away any excess silicone if it had been patched before,( the original sealant would be very neat and barely exposed since its mainly just between the glass edges).
Then using not just a waterproof silicone, but also one that is marked NON-TOXIC preferably one packaged specificaly for aquarium making, seal the entire offending joints using a popstick or similar to keep a neat profile. Next you must wait 48, to 72 hours for the sealant properly cure. After that the silicone should be rinsed off lightly before filling the tank with water to check your handiwork. Personally I would not use that first tankful of water but empty it and refill.
I hope this was helpful, and good luck.
MartyK is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.02992 seconds with 10 queries