View Single Post
Old October 2nd, 2013, 11:20 PM   #59
elcue

I’ve had both spawn – there might be a trigger in here somewhere: I kept my tetras in a 30 until I noticed plump females, then I would move a pair to a 15g. The parameters in both were the same - driftwood, java moss , dark gravel, Tetra Whisper filter, soft, acidic water, 78 - 80 degree range. Weekly, massive water changes, at least 80%, right out of the sink (w/ some Novaqua). Heavily fed Hikari bloodworms, Tetra bits, and baby brine. My notes show that the black skirts spawned at temps of 78 and 80, didn’t have any on the aires, probably the same, same tank , same habits. I remember that the blacks were very fat, like marbles w/ fins. The first time they spawned I saw the eggs in the java from across the room. They were white and bad, some hatched from the second, the third spawn was fine. I’ve had this happen many times w/ tetras. I think that the females mature earlier than males of the same age. I would remove the parents asap. The good eggs are clear and hatch w/in a day. Having java and a flashlight helps to spot them, hundreds of them. I was bringing them to the auction for months…
elcue is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.02899 seconds with 10 queries