View Single Post
Old December 2nd, 2009, 06:07 PM   #2
rdebonis
Fry

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele M View Post
Hello, my name is Michele. I love my African Cichlids, but like to try Marine fish. I have attempted to start about six times without success. After about six months of research via books, associates and pet stores, I experienced conflicting advice as to which equipment, chemicals and fish I should have. I expect to move into a new home in the near future and want a marine tank, but need to know what I can do now to make the transition a smooth one. First, is getting a large tank of about 100 gals. or more, a good choice? I was thinking about reef with only a few fish. Should I just stick with fish only? Where is the best place(s) to purchase equipment? I have some knowledge of the kind of equipment I need for the initial setup, but am confused about which brands will work best, espeially for a novice like me.
Michele,
I'm a Freshwater hobbyist and unfortunately I can't give you advice about Saltwater aquariums. However, my suggestions would be to go to your local retail fish store, preferably one that has a large selection of Salt Water fish and check with them. They can normally give you good advice. Also if you are a member of the Brooklyn Aquarium Society, check the list of advertisers in the monthly Bulletin, there are many stores listed that specialize in Salt Water setups. Incidentally if your not a member of the BAS, you should join. About 50% of our members are avid and very experienced Salt Water hobbyists. Finally, get yourself a good beginners book on setting up a Salt Water Aquarium and read it. You will probably get all the information you need from that. Actually, the more I think of it you should probably get the book first. This will familiarize you with the Salt Water setup and you will know what questions to ask when to go to buy one.
Good luck,
Bob D

Page generated in 0.03980 seconds with 10 queries