View Single Post
Old May 8th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #3
rdebonis
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bderen View Post
I'd say 10G tank might be too small for 10 1" fish. Do they get aggresive when going into breeding mode?
I purchased these fish, Parosphromenus ornaticauda and they were extremely tiny about 1 to 2 centemeters. They were definitely not aggressive, hanging out together and appeared to have plenty of room in the tank. I use the word were, because they all died within 1 week. I followed all the advise I could find on these fish. Since they come from Peat Swamps in Borneo, the tank was heavily planted, I kept the pH at 5.5 to 6.0, gH low and used Peat Pellets in the tank as well as Kents Black Water Extract. I fed them live BBS and finely crushed Algae Flakes as recommended in all the articles I could find. The fish were very shy and very slow moving unless startled, so I didn't think anything of this. I thought this is how the species is, in hindsite I now think the fish were either drugged or sick. What ever it was that caused them to die it was internal because the fish showed no outward signs of illness. I did notice that just before they expired they would hang upside down perfectly still and completely vertical in the water column, then they would be gone in about 1 hour. I have a lot of experience with Anabantids and I have never had a fish this delicate or this strange. Ananbantids because they are air breathers usually hang at the surface gasping for air when they are in extreme stress and about to expire. I did however have fair warning that these fish besides being rare are very difficult to keep. Being stubborn, I will probably try them again, though this time from a different seller. In the meantime, I will try Parosphromenus deissneri, a close relative that's easier to keep, not as delicate and much less expensive!

Last edited by rdebonis; May 8th, 2009 at 02:06 PM.
rdebonis is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.03162 seconds with 10 queries