Thread: lion fish
View Single Post
Old October 4th, 2009, 02:10 PM   #9
rdebonis
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem View Post
poisonous is what an animal produce, while venomous is in the animals body or skin.
Based on your definition, that "poisonous is what an animal produces" as a biological organism (animal), the Lion Fish produces the poison that is in it's spines, the venom in it's spines is part of the Lions biological system, therefore it is produced by the Lion fish and is therefore a poison. Which logically follows that the Lion Fish is poisonous. Without the Lion Fish producing the poison, there would be no venom (or poison) in the spines.

Some puffer fish contain a poisonous gland which if eaten will kill you. These fish are generally referred to as poisonous not venomous. The Black Widow or Brown Recluse spiders are referred to correctly as either venomous or poisonous. Snakes are referred to as either Venomous or non-Venomous or Poisonous or non-Poisonous, each is valid. The Blue-Ring Octopus is correctly referred to as one of the most poisonous creatures in the sea, while it's venom, is considered one of the most toxic. It secretes this venom or poison (a neurotoxin) through it's bite. So the octopus is poisonous and what it secretes is venomous.

However if you insist that Lion Fish are Venomous and not Poisonous be my guest. Linguistics is not one of my strong points, so your answer is as good or better than mine. In any event, it's not a good idea to pick up a Lion Fish with your hands.

Hopefully end of this discussion.

Last edited by rdebonis; October 4th, 2009 at 02:22 PM.
rdebonis is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.03248 seconds with 10 queries