View Single Post
Old December 10th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #4
Nymsley
Egg

I tried doing two photoperiods per day. I think I had the lights on for 4 hours, off for 1, on again for 4, and then off until the next day. I'm not sure if it made a big difference or not. I only found that the algae calmed down when the tank matured. Its been on a single photoperiod for a few months now. Multiple photoperiod is great for extending the time that you can view the tank throughout the day.

I use a HOB too (Aquaclear). I know people say canister is better but iIts worked for me and I don't plan on buying a canister just to test which is better :P

I think 3-4 watts per gallon is already considered high but its just an estimate to start from. Factors to take into account are your light fixtures (distance from the surface, quality of reflectors, spacing of the bulbs, type of fixture), if you're using covers, and the bulbs too.

Excel will probably work but I suspect it'll be costly in the long run, I think. You'll also have to be careful bout how much you dose since some plants are negatively sensitive to it. Instead of growing, they'll melt.

Last edited by Nymsley; December 11th, 2009 at 12:03 AM.
Nymsley is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.03279 seconds with 10 queries