Go Back   Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum > Freshwater > Fish

Fish Ask All Of Your Fish Related Questions Here.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:51 PM   #1
SeaSick
Egg

Default My Angels laid eggs!! I'm gonna be a Grandpa?

Well I've had snails, & snail eggs... been there, done that.
NOW it seems I've noticed rows of individual eggs on one of my larger Amazon Swordplants and my Angels are certainly overseeing their safety. This is happening in a 30g long community fish tank, as I'm posting this I'm also setting up an empty 10 tank that I wasn't using. I figure I'll take at least 7, or 8 gallons from the 30 to fill the 10, BUT should I attempt to move the plant and the parents into the 10??, or should I remove all the other fish from the 30 & put them in the 10???
Help me BAS experts this is probably routine to you guys/gals.
SeaSick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:16 PM   #2
genakogan
Egg

Hello Sea sick!

There is more that one ways to proceed with this.
Most important is that you need to have start food: an excellent example is brine shrimp (artemia).
I am sure that you can get them at the BAS or any fish store.

Now there are several ways to proceed with this. I prefer not to disturb the original tank so I would move the sword plant into the 10 gallon, if the plant is not potted you can tear off that leaf and use a cloth pin to pin the leaf to a tank glass.

Adequate supply of air is important by make sure that the air bubbles are not hitting the eggs directly.
Also add some Methylene Blue to prevent excess fungus growth on the eggs.

Also remember this, once the angels started breeding, they will continue Lay eggs every 7 to 14 days so if you are not ready this time, you have a week.

Later

Angel Guy
genakogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #3
SeaSick
Egg

Question Angel eggs

So Gene, you are telling me to move the eggs/plant to the smaller tank that I filled with the water from the original tank, not leave them where they were laid - is that right?
That's OK, It's much easier than moving all my other fish out of there.
BUT - You make no mention of the parents, Do they need to be with the eggs? or is their job over??
Old July 25th, 2009, 12:31 AM   #4
genakogan
Egg

yep

Move the eggs to the smaller tank, you don't want to disturb main tank including the parents by moving any of the fish, otherwise they might not breed again..

Now as for moving the parents or is their job over.

It really depends on the situation.
A lot of Angels do take care of the young but it is almost imposible to tell which will and whch will not. While others will take care of fyes for a day or two and then eat them. Plus there are other fish to worry about when the flyes begin to swim.

The only way to ensure no one eats the babies is to put them into another tank.
Old July 27th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #5
xoomer
Admin

Like gene already said, move the eggs to another tank with some water from the old tank along with an established filter (box). Put an air stone so that the water circulated by it constantly sweeps the eggs providing oxygen so that you don't have stagnant water situation where fungus settles.

Once they hatch, you have to feed them with newly hatched brine shrimp multiple times a day. I was never able to sucessfully raise these guys because there was no one home to feed them between morning and say 6-7 pm. Mounth brooding chiclids were a different story because they were bigger and able to fend for themselves. I've been able to get hundreds of fish from my yellow labs.
Old July 27th, 2009, 10:32 PM   #6
SeaSick
Egg

Unhappy no cigars here

Well, I asked, & you guys answered, But it just wasn,t meant to be. (this time). It seems that 95% of the eggs that I transplanted have turned white. I guess the remaining eggs still possibly might hatch but I'm not expecting to be successful.
I do have one more question for all you fish breeders out there: Is it possible that I never had a pair in the first place, & it was just one or maybe two females putting out eggs that were never even fertile? Caged single parakeets, canaries, cockatiels etc. do that all the time and even sit on them - but obviously there's nothing to hatch. Is that the case with these egg-laying fish as well?
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:43 PM   #7
genakogan
Egg

Nice Question!!!!

Sometime this happens with with angelfish but very rarely.

It is most likely the egg might have been unfertalize by the male due to interuptions from other fish.

One of the reasons the female or females might lay eggs on their own is if there is only one or two angel fish to begin with, if you have three or more it is most likely that you have a pair.

If the eggs all turn white in the same day or with in several hours before the fungus develops then the eggs are unfertalized or the water is not suitable for life.

Take a close look at the way angels are laying egg. Usually the female makes a pass laying the eggs and the male follow her fertalizing the eggs and and they do this for some time. The female has a thicker gomates and it is more rounded at the tip almost looks like it is turning out, while the male is thininner and longer.
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #8
genakogan
Egg

In response to ZOOMER.

Hey nice and cool thing is out there, makes it easier to feed.

I have discovered it surfing the web.

It is called "Hatch n Feed" it is nice because you can set it up inside the tank with the fryes and the brine shrimp hatch in it and escape directly into the tank where the fryes are ready to eat them. The hatching and the expelling prosses takes some time and feeds the fish continuously.

I have had a great success with it but only for home use not commercial.

So there is less mess because all of the shrimps are eaten right away and I fill it once about 12-24 hours to hatch and then fish are being fed for abaut two days.

Hatch N Feed