Go Back   Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum > Freshwater > Fish

Fish Ask All Of Your Fish Related Questions Here.

Old August 9th, 2009, 09:00 PM   #1
rdebonis
Fry

Exclamation A lesson in Keeping Wild Bettas

A word of advice for anyone who keeps wild bettas. If you are using a Box Filter, make sure you have netting or some obstruction to prevent the Bettas from traveling down the Air Exhaust tube while allowing the air to come out. That is unless you don't care if the betta turns the bottom of your Box filter into his or her home. I found one of my Betta Rutilans moving in and out of the exhaust tube on the box filter and he was living happily in the small water space at the bottom of the the filter, so I dimantled the filter and removed him, much to his annoyance. These fish are so skinny that they can squeeze into almost any tight space so they require special attention to details. The fact that the filter air flow has to be fairly slow for still water fish like Bettas makes the odds of this happening greater with these types of fish. I'm not sure if the betta were to lay eggs in the bottom of the box filter and if they were fertilized and hatched how this would affect the fry. They would probably have plenty of microscopic food at least for a while. I am constantly amazed at the antics of fish.
Old June 4th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #2
Halfbeaks1
Egg

Default Betta albimargireta eating eggs

How do I keep my Betta albimargireta males from eating the eggs. Should I try to move them out of my main tank or would the move be to much. I have a trio in a 15 gal. planted tank.
Halfbeaks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 06:57 PM   #3
rdebonis
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfbeaks1 View Post
How do I keep my Betta albimargireta males from eating the eggs. Should I try to move them out of my main tank or would the move be to much. I have a trio in a 15 gal. planted tank.
Send an e-mail to Tony Pinto, he was one of our speakers and he is an expert on Bettas.

Contact the BAS Speaker Chairman and he can get you Tony's e-mail address or contact me and I'll give it to you. I don't want to post it.

Bob D.
Old August 1st, 2011, 05:55 AM   #4
andrew15
Egg

Thanks a lot i was searching for this for very long time, actually i recently join this forum and i hope got lot of such useful information in future.