Go Back   Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum > Freshwater > Equipment

Equipment Discussion Related To Pumps, Lights, Filters, Powerheads And Other Equipment.

Old July 30th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #1
aquagardner
Egg

Default Water Chillers

I have no experience with chillers. I want to incorporate one in set up of my 72gal planted tank .
I have never needed a heater as the lighting always made my tank run hot .

In a planted tank, substrate and rocks/design displace lots of water- so the tank will not actually have 72gals
in it.

Do water chillers run better at manimum rated output or are they over rated, should one purchase more than one needs?

I know with filters I have always needed more than recommended is this also true of chillers?
When you buy a chiller they say water pump not included. What does it mean? Does it mean you need to have a pump to go with your filter and chiller and UV sterilizer? This is fundamental but to me more critical than CO2 injection. I have to hold temperature and in an economical way.
For example:
Chiller Specs
1/13 HP
Tank Size up to 50 Gallons
13.5" x 8.5" x 13" Dimensions
1/2" & 1/2" inlet/outlet
BTU - 800
Chilling Capability - 30 Gal: 20F / 60 Gal: 10F
Flow GPH 50-260 (note water pump sold separate)

Say you had a 50 gal tank but 1/4 of it was substrate/ wood and rocks.
Would this chiller be effectual in keeping the tank temp down to + - 10F
Any edxplanations would be greatly appreciated- also before I buy a unit- what is recommended.

Cool receptions,

"The logic of validation allows us to move between the two limits of dogmatism and skepticism."
Paul Ricoeur
aquagardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #2
stevem
Super Moderator

first be carefull of not having a heater, true reefs run hot from the lights and the pumps, but at night the light are oof and so is your heat. I keep a heater in my reefs and keep it set at like 76 deg just to be safe . as far as the chiller yes they are rated for perfect condition just like filters. So always go 1 up. too small they work to hard and will burn out faster. just like an ac thats too small for you room.
stevem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 08:55 PM   #3
KC2PED
Egg

First let me say that I have no experience with chillers either although I have researched them
I don;t have A/C so should have one on my tank (I have cooked glass cat fish alive during heat spells) but have been put off by the cost
That out of the way:
I don't think you can think about the contents other than water of the tank not factoring into the equation
That STUFF is in the tank and is going to be the same temperature as the water...until you change the water temperature
Once the water cool to warm the STUFF is going to give up its latent heat and "try to raise the water temperature"
And once the water gets cool and starts to warm the STUFF is going to absorb heat from the water and "try to cool it"
In essence I think that the STUFF will act as a short term buffer for your tank temperature
Regarding the pump requirement, the chiller is a heat exchanger and my research showed that they seem to be sold without any way of getting water to and from them
If you are using a canister filter it seems like you might be able to route the water from the filter to the chiller and then back to the tank but the filter and the chiller might lrequire different flow rates to make them operate optimally

A seed hidden in the heart of an apple is an orchard invisible
Welsh Proverb
KC2PED is offline   Reply With Quote