Go Back   Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum > FOR SALE / FOR TRADE > FS - For Sale - Freshwater Equipment \ Livestock

FS - For Sale - Freshwater Equipment \ Livestock Sell Your FRESHWATER Related Items Here. Equipment, Livestock, etc.

Old December 6th, 2011, 12:40 AM   #1
mellowvision
Egg

Rep Power: 0 mellowvision is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Geosesarma Sp - Red Devil - tank raised juvies

I have no adults ready for sale yet, but do have a fair number of unsexed juvies available for someone looking to start a colony. Great little crabs, already catching fruit flies, active and visible hunting around the clock. If you're interested in Geosesarma crabs, here's an opportunity to pick up a hard to find, undescribed variety of tank raised crab. Red devils are among the brightest of the Geos, adults are easily spotted in even the darker corners of the tank. They are extremely aware of people and their surroundings, and can be trained to take food from your hand. (which is incredibly fun to do) The available crabs are around 3 months old and should be of breeding age within 2-4 months.

here's a quick video of a few of the adults:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EJLF...&feature=g-upl

and a video of a juvy eating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLSHXn5WryA

I'd prefer to sell to an experienced vivarium keeper with an appropriate environment ready to go. They are kept much like dart frogs, except that they need a non-stagnant water source that isn't too soft, and calcium enriched foods. These are not crabs for a full aquarium, they live on land and spend some time in the water. I keep them in a 45 gallon enclosure, with 10 gallons of water at 74º, 75% humidity or higher. I have soft water from the tap, but use travertine to buffer the water. I feed enriched fruit flies, super worms, crab pellets and some fruits and enriched fish foods.

I can deliver these for an additional fee inside NYC, or they are available for pickup in brooklyn. $20 per crab, or $90 for 5. Paypal or cash only.

Please PM me for additional details

Please, you don't have to buy from me, but don't buy wild caught... These are an undescribed species that could very easily be stripped from the wild. Tank raised crabs ensure this beautiful species will continue to exist, are less likely to die in shipping and transition, and are easier to keep and breed than imported crabs. From what I've heard from importers, often close to 50% of these die while in transit from overseas, while tank raised specimen rarely perish in transit.
mellowvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #2
xoomer
Admin

great looking crabs, good luck with sale
Old December 8th, 2011, 03:35 AM   #3
mellowvision
Egg

thanks!

if anyone is seriously interested, I may be able to bring them to a meeting too.
Old February 25th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #4
mellowvision
Egg

I've got TONS AND TONS of young crabs, and my tank is starting to get too crowded. So, as a special for BAS members, I'm offering young crabs for $8 each... Get in touch!