Go Back   Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum > Freshwater > Fish

Fish Ask All Of Your Fish Related Questions Here.

Old June 16th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #1
robertprice

Rep Power: 31 robertprice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cichlid Profiles - Yellow Acara

Aequidens metae, the Yellow Acara or Yellow Flag Fish was one of the first tropical fish ever kept in captivity, going back to 1882. It comes from the Rio Meta on the border of Colombia and Venzuela and the Orinoco River drainage. Its base color is brownish yellow to bright yellow including the fins. It has blueish green irridescent spots on most scales. There a dark spot just before the caudal peduncle and another at midbody that may be enclosed by 2 short orange bars. There is an indistinct black band down the center of the body. It has a charactisitc short black bar underneth and slightly behind the eye. It has metallic blue stripes on its face and gill covers. It gets 8 inches long., but most top out at 6-7 inches. It is an exceedingly attractive community fish.

This mildly aggressive Acara lives in very acid soft water of pH 5-6. It tolerates temperature of 75-83 degrees. It needs at least a 30 gallon aquarium, aqnd can be kept with bigger and smaller fish in bigger tanks. It is an omnivore that is fond of shrimp. A tank for it should have gravel, hide rocks and plants. Yellow Acaras are plant friendly. The sexes can only be told apart by venting, and it will only breed in at least a 40 gallon breeder tank with very acid soft water. It is a substrate spawner. Pictires at "Images of Yellow Acara."
Old June 17th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #2
stevem
Super Moderator

i know we have old members but not that old
stevem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #3
robertprice

Rep Power: 31 robertprice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yup...

I finally qualify for Senior Citizen rates at my gym! Seriouslyi, Metae os one the very first tropical fish ever kept in Germany. By the way, I bought the mismarked Siebold Cichlid at Petland as a birthday present.