Go Back   Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum > Freshwater > General Discussion

General Discussion General Freshwater Aquaria Discussion.

Old April 2nd, 2014, 08:09 PM   #1
dsuperman

Default ram

Thanks,practicing my post skills

Last edited by dsuperman; April 3rd, 2014 at 07:46 AM.
dsuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 09:28 PM   #2
stevem
Super Moderator

Default rams spawning

http://youtu.be/PPJZlwd0hko
stevem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 05:53 PM   #3
john fox

Are they egg layers and why do fish love flower pots ?
john fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 11:31 PM   #4
dsuperman

Egg layers,yes. These need a smooth surface similar to angels. Mine put the eggs on that leave.

http://youtu.be/xASmoZU_qeYhttp://youtu.be/xASmoZU_qeY
Old April 4th, 2014, 11:35 PM   #5
stevem
Super Moderator

Default rams breeding

i did have mine spawn, just could never get the fry to live.
very tiny fry hard to even see nevermind feed
i also used a flowpot
stevem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 10:18 AM   #6
dsuperman

I use the marina breeding box for many egglayers then do small waterchanges at least every two days on the main tank [20 -30 %].That takes care of cleanliness,when free swimming i set up a gravity feed with green water,banana worms,microworms then on to finely crushed flake.
Old April 5th, 2014, 12:36 PM   #7
JoeyG
Fry

Default Feeding baby fry

I think it's important to use a sponge filter in a rearing tank because the fry, after the egg yolk is absorbed in app. 5 days, can graze on the tiny foods the sponge catches. Having a dirty tank is important because the fry also feed on the mulch at the bottom of the tank. When performing water changes never do more than 10-15% and always replace the water from the parents tank or another established tank. Take the refill water from the top of the tank area since that is the cleanest. As soon as they can eat foods try to feed live food such as baby brine shrimp since this will make the fry grow faster. If fry are too small for baby brine then use vinegar eels and/or micro worms until large enough to take brine shrimp.
JoeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 04:23 PM   #8
dsuperman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyG View Post
I think it's important to use a sponge filter in a rearing tank because the fry, after the egg yolk is absorbed in app. 5 days, can graze on the tiny foods the sponge catches. Having a dirty tank is important because the fry also feed on the mulch at the bottom of the tank. When performing water changes never do more than 10-15% and always replace the water from the parents tank or another established tank. Take the refill water from the top of the tank area since that is the cleanest. As soon as they can eat foods try to feed live food such as baby brine shrimp since this will make the fry grow faster. If fry are too small for baby brine then use vinegar eels and/or micro worms until large enough to take brine shrimp.
Thats a great way to go also. I like using the breeder box because it eliminates having to do the waterchange where the fry are ,you don't sucking them up by mistake. Also, the confined area concentrates the food the fry get to. I put in an oak leaf or two that should make some nice tiny first foods.
Old May 9th, 2014, 12:54 PM   #9
elcue

Default Marina container

Dsuperman, I couldn’t agree more, this thing is great – a prefabricated contraption. I discovered the Marina breeding/holding container last month; I ordered another last night. I saw it and thought that I’d give it a try to segregate my neocardina, from the cardina that I got from Rachel O’leary at last month’s mtg. Works great, adjustable water flow, everything is neat and tidy, and no worries of losing anything to a water change. Its going to work great for eggs/fry. I was using a floating fry saver w/ a sponge filter that had an adjustable uplift. I’d have to wedge the saver in the tank, so that it wouldn’t be draw to the filter’s overflow, causing it to flip; then position the sponge filter so that the uplift’s water would fall into the saver. Worked great, fry were in a small space for feeding, didn’t have to worry about them going up the Python, but it made working in the main tank a pain, something was always in the way. My other homemade contraption was the bottom of a bloodworm keeper on a shelf. I’d then divert water from the filter’s overflow into the keeper. Again worked great, but this thing is so much better. When the new one arrives my Celestial pearl danio pair are going in, just have to get some java moss and it will be perfect.

Lisa

ps nice videos/fish
elcue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 10:42 PM   #10
dsuperman

It is simple and versatile,isn't it? I had cories spawn in java moss in another tank,just took the moss and plunked it in the marina box. No fungus,looked like 100% hatched.I do celestial pearl danios in a 15 gal. with a marina box hanging on. Once a week or so i take the java moss out of the 15 gal. and put it in the box, i usually get 10 -15 fry that way. I cut a small piece of sponge and put on the outflow of the marina.If you need java moss i could give you a nice clump, no problem. Thanks on the video/fish .

Denis.
Old May 10th, 2014, 02:02 PM   #11
elcue

It is. It just makes it so much simpler and neater. Not having to do water changes on a small volume of water – it’s worth it just for that. The cut sponge is good, you can just reduce the flow so as not to have the water back up. Right now the one I have w/ the shrimp is overflowing into a hang on net breeder, I think that’s also a Marina item (we’re starting to sound like sales reps). Wanted to be prepared for baby shrimp escaping (high hopes). One of the online reviewers was using it as a small refugium, and now I’m envisioning that the terrestrial plants that are in the tank, can be in this hanging on the tank. They’re currently in a plastic box to contain the roots, but I can use this to free up some floor space.

The java would be great, thank you. Are you coming to the next meeting?
Old May 10th, 2014, 08:47 PM   #12
dsuperman

I use those clear plastic shower boxes with holes and suction cups for my terrestrials,from the dollar store. Pm me your addy,i'll ship it to you,no charge.Are you breeding those CPD'S?,they are great lil fish.
Old May 11th, 2014, 11:55 AM   #13
elcue

Oh, too funny. I had used one of those for my hyacinth bulbs, I filled it w/ gravel and rested the bulbs on top, to keep them out of the water. Funny, the stuff that winds up in the tanks. I’m hoping to rear some cpds, I got them last month, from the speaker, Rachel O’leary. She gave a really nice presentation on nano fish/inverts. I got the cpds and some Asian rummynose (Sawbwa resplendens), all of which are chasing each other around. Saw some eggs fall from the floating plants that the Asians were in, and some fry (??) in the weeds. They’re young, just starting to spawn; I’ll let them settle in for a bit, before I attempt to raise fry in earnest. I’m falling behind in the Breeder’s program. lol Currently they’re in a 20g swampish looking tank on the window sill, no heater/ filter- fish heaven.

I’ll pm the info, thank you, that’s very nice of you. If you come to the next mtg, I could bring you some Betta smaragdina (approx. 6 month), as reciprocation for the plant! Mtg should be a good one – Chuck Davis, his talk is on gadgets and gizmos. Maybe he’ll talk about plastic mesh colanders, wedged into Rubbermaid containers, as emergency breeding tanks. lol It’ll right up my alley!
Old May 11th, 2014, 09:27 PM   #14
dsuperman

I do soda bottle "box" filters and those plastic test tubes {jagermeister] that my grown up kids brought me,yep i make mini-sponge filters outta those lol. Thats a very cool fish b. smaragdina,i might take you up on that generous offer.I was at the meeting with rachel o'leary as speaker but i didn't stay,i was getting antsy.That was my first meeting. I keep my cpds mainly by themselves,sometimes with least killies.If that fish was a lil bigger it would be even more popular.
Old May 12th, 2014, 01:18 PM   #15
elcue

So you’re making filters out of my brine shrimp hatcheries. lol This could be its own thread, non-aquarium, aquarium stuff. The smaragdina are really nice, sometimes the males look velvety blue, pretty fish. Of course once the net’s in the tank- they all look alike. Yeah, they never start on time, and when there’s a speaker the auction goes til after midnight. The big auctions actually end earlier – no speaker. There’s no happy medium, people that work, have to rush to get there early, so it starts later; and then they leave earlier during the auction, since they’re up since 5-6am, or brought the kids (who you would want involved in the hobby). Can’t win. People come and go all night, like an open house. But you can get some nice fish, especially when they’re hobbyist’s donations. I picked up a pair of Betta ocellata for $12. I don’t know where I would have had to have travelled to, to get them.
Old May 12th, 2014, 10:54 PM   #16
dsuperman

Lol,you know we must all do it,you're out and about shopping "hmm,that thing would make a great filter etc..." That does sound like a great deal on those b. ocellatus,i don't see them around.Handsome fish,good luck.