Go Back   Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum > Freshwater > General Discussion

General Discussion General Freshwater Aquaria Discussion.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:57 AM   #1
block2
Egg

Default Greetings From Thailand

Sawatdee Khrap....( Hello )

I'm Jeff, from the Uk originally, I have been in Thailand for the last 4 years. I am lucky I have 2 large lakes either side of our home I rent and both are filled with Wild/Thai freshwater spieces including Giant Gourami's, Koi, Roach, Several Species of Catfish, Chub, Carp, and 5/8 ILB one's that look like Giant Pirahna's with teeth to match, also long snouted pipe like fish again with many teeth, locals call them aligator-fish, also many other species but not sure what they are.

1. This lake belongs to my wifes family who we rent our home from. This pic is taken from the top end from the garden.

2. Same lake but pic taken from bottom end.

3. This is the village lake with our home to the right. This lake provides our village with all our water needs except for drinking water. This pic was taken in August before the rains came. Both lakes broke their banks last November/December and we where flooded twice. Fish everywhere...more pics to come.

Heres a few Pics of the fish I have caught in the village lake. I have seen big fish in there and I saw a chap put something quite large into the lake the other month. I saw a decent roach missing its stomach on top of the water one day. Pity as we eat the roach when we catch them, as they quite big.

1. This is a Giant Gourami, that i caught in the village lake. Quite a docile fish, came right upto where I was fishing, had 2 rods out and one just in the water which I was n't using at the time, only took the bait on that one and it was off, good 15 minutes play.

We got flooded twice last November / December as both lakes broke their banks. Fish everywhere. Around our lake I have put wire-mesh to deter me dogs from getting over but theres about a 2" gap at the bottom. We lost quite a few from our lake when the floods came including this Giant Gourami, he must of went sideways through the gap. We managed to grab him in a net the first time he got out in the beck/river that runs down the side of our home, but the 2nd time he got out no one seen him. We got told later it was caught in a net further up the beck/river and need I say what happened to it.

2. This is a smaller Gourami in our lake. We have quite a few of these. If you look closely, you will see an orange bubble near its head, thats its fry. They protect them for about 2 weeks then the fry are left to defend for themselves. They stay in the ball, taken it turns, centre ones rise for air, they then return to the outside of the ball, then the next centre ones rise, they then return to the outside of the ball. This is done many times...Very clever.

3. This is a nice catfish, the Thais like to eat these, this one I managed to transfer into our lake.

block2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:58 AM   #2
block2
Egg

4. Not sure what this is, but its my favorite from the village lake. I think its a Golden Price Carp. It as a beautiful golden bronze colour. Caught a few of these and they are very tasty.

Right me off to see what the rest of you are up to on the forum...

Laeo phop kan na.....( See You Later )

Regards
Jeff & Wan
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:06 PM   #3
block2
Egg

Hi All,

Sorry about this...

1. This should of been posted in the freshwater forum.

2. Didn't realise that replys go above the original post...hopefully a moderator can rearrange my post so that it reads correctly.

R&R
Jeff & Wan