Go Back   Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum > Freshwater > Equipment

Equipment Discussion Related To Pumps, Lights, Filters, Powerheads And Other Equipment.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 04:42 PM   #1
rdebonis
Fry

Question Catfish Stuck In Sponge Filter Exhaust Tubes

I use Hydro-Sponge filters in many of my tanks. I am having a problem particularly with C. Paleatus catfish getting stuck in the long plastic Exhaust tubes on these filters. C. Paleatus is a very active cool water Cory. It remains very active both day and night in all layers of the water column and occasionally, I find them stuck head down in the Hydro-Sponge exhaust tubes. The only thing that saves them from drowning is that they are facing head down into the water flow and the water is being forced into their gills, forcing oxygen into them. If they were facing the other way they would definitely drown. I have had some catfish stuck like this for a number of days before I discovered them and released them. I have been lucky and never lost a Catfish that was stuck like this, but I'm afraid eventually it will happen. All Cory's like tight spaces, but Paleatus because they spend so much time in all layers of the water column, including the top layer are particularly susceptible to entering and getting stuck in these exhaust tubes. I have to keep C. paleatus because the tanks I have them in are unheated with other cool water fish and the temperature will often drop to 55 to 60 degrees in the Winter. In their native habitat in South America, they are found in water that is cool. They tolerate warmer water, but prefer cooler water and are much more active and healthy in it. I also like them because of their unique color pattern and constant activity, I find them one of the most interesting members of the Corydorus family to watch.

Other than removing these Exhaust Tubes, which I'm afraid will affect the operation of the filter, does anyone know how I can prevent these fish from going down the tubes? I thought of jury rigging netting over the top of the exhaust tube with a hole for the air tube to go through, but then I have to secure it with rubber bands or cord.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:56 AM   #2
xoomer
Admin

I'd say install some sort of coarse net over the exhaust. It won't be the prittiest solution but will definitely work. How thick is the tube?
Old July 29th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #3
rdebonis
Fry

The tube is 2.5 cm in diameter and the wall of the tube is 1 mm thick.
Old July 29th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #4
xoomer
Admin

Maybe you can fabricate something out of a piece of egg crate.
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #5
rdebonis
Fry

Good idea, I'll try it. Thx
Old December 14th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #6
uncenue09
Egg

Default Catfish Stuck In Sponge Filter Exhaust Tubes

If you are not getting bubbles to flow thru the lift tube, try a bigger air pump or a new one. You need the base on the sponge filter this is what keeps it weighted down, otherwise it will float to the top.
uncenue09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #7
rdebonis
Fry

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncenue09 View Post
If you are not getting bubbles to flow thru the lift tube, try a bigger air pump or a new one. You need the base on the sponge filter this is what keeps it weighted down, otherwise it will float to the top.
Thanks for your suggestions but unfortunately they have nothing to do with the problem.

If you read my original message, the problem is not airflow thru the lift tube or the weighted base, which is obviously required to weight down the sponge filter. The problem was Paleatus catfish swimming down the tube against the airflow and getting stuck in the tube. I have since removed the tubes which has not affected the filtration and has solved the problem.
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #8
stevem
Super Moderator

i also removed the tube and do not see any change
stevem is offline   Reply With Quote