Go Back   Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum > Freshwater > SIG - (Special Interest Group)

Old February 17th, 2015, 10:52 PM   #1
Mike U
Egg

Default Substrate and Corydoras

looking for recomendations on the best gravel to provide for Cory's in a 20 gallon tank?
Mike U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 12:48 PM   #2
elcue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike U View Post
looking for recomendations on the best gravel to provide for Cory's in a 20 gallon tank?
Don't know if it would be considered the best, but I've been using Estes' Natural Aggregates for decades. It comes in different colors/sizes, "Bits of Walnut" is pretty small. I know many use sand, but I barrel the substrate w/ a Python, so sand is out.
elcue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 10:22 PM   #3
Mike U
Egg

Thank you elcue... just trying to get a handle on what people are using - If you are using Estes' Natural Aggregates and have been happy with it for years... that works for me.... Thank you for taking a minute for me...
Mike U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 12:58 AM   #4
elcue

You're welcome.

People are using everything it seems. Turns out gravel vs sand is a hot topic; the sand being more in line w/ their natural habitat (a place my fish have never seen), and then w/in the sand camp there’s debate on grit size… So many choices, pool sand , playground sand etc … Most are concerned w/ the fish rooting around in the substrate for food and the subsequent barbel erosion. I’m in the camp that feels barbel erosion is more the result of poor water quality /dirty substrate/ bacterial infection, than substrate. But I only use gravel, I'm sure sand can be pretty abrasive, like the old glass gravels. In the past I’ve had corys and kuhli loaches in tanks w/ pea gravel from the lumber yard, without any issues (other than water hardness, due to the pea gravel). The only time I’ve seen erosion was w/ a group of pygmies I received from a club member, who had kept them in a bare bottom tank. I notice that some were having trouble eating, and upon closer inspection saw that they had gaping holes where the snout should have been. A couple of weeks in clean water and antibiotics and they recovered, but it was pretty disgusting. Now I take a close look at everything before it goes into the tanks…

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/v...hp?f=6&t=40457

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/v...hp?f=6&t=41437
elcue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 07:28 PM   #5
dsuperman

Thumbs up

I only have paleatus at the moment, my colony is on sand, very thin {1/4 inch} don't remember what kind of sand. Like its been said, as long as its clean and isn't sharp they seem to do fine.