Go Back   Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum > Saltwater > New To Saltwater Hobby

New To Saltwater Hobby New To Saltwater Hobby? Introduce Yourself And Ask Your Noobie Questions Here.

Old January 31st, 2015, 07:43 PM   #1
spotpea
Egg

Default 29 gallon Biocube

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my 29 gallon Biocube. Never had a tank before. Anyone have any tips or pitfalls to avoid as I start to establish the water and substrate? All thoughts are appreciated thank you!
Melissa
spotpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 10:53 PM   #2
StuHersh
Egg

I think the biggest thing you have to have as a "newbie" is never to rush your setup of the tank. Cycling is a very big thing. And cycling a tank is actually allowing the water to acclimate itself and what you add to the tank is part of this. Have you decided if you are going to have a freshwater setup or saltwter(marine). If it is marine then do you want to have a reef tank or will it be for fish? Fish can be very fragile in a new setup so dont despair if you may lose them. It happened to me and it happens to everyone. This is a learning experience and the larger the tank the easier it is to maintain. And ask questions. Any question helps even if you think it might be dumb. Best of Luck.
StuHersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 11:21 PM   #3
spotpea
Egg

That is good advice. For me and my spouse who is much more eager than me. I was saltwater and I originally wanted a reef but now realize I should work up to it, or I might just kill of fish and reef out of eagerness.

Thank you!
spotpea is offline   Reply With Quote