Go Back   Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum > Freshwater > General Discussion

General Discussion General Freshwater Aquaria Discussion.

Old January 28th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #1
rdebonis
Fry

Thumbs up Interesting Fish Seen About Town

Petland Discount on Avenue U in the Home Depot Mall has some really nice Brilliant rasbora - Rasbora borapetensis. The price is very reasonable and the fish are near adult size. You don't see these fish very often in the LFS. They are from Asia, are very active swimmers and are very hardy fish that are not fussy eaters. They color up beautifully after a few days at home when the Red in their tails becomes intense and the Green Neon and Black stripes glow. They should be kept in schools of 6 or more where they will put on a beautiful show. They love planted tanks. For all you fish breeders this is a challenging egg layer that is classified as difficult but not impossible to breed. For breeders and other hobbyists alike this is an Asian fish worth having in your collection.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/speci...rapetensis.jpg

Last edited by rdebonis; January 28th, 2010 at 08:52 PM.
rdebonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #2
rdebonis
Fry

I was at Petland Discount on Avenue U at the Home Depot Mall and they still had some Brilliant Rasbora's left but in addition they had some beautiful juvenile Leopard Ctenapoma's (Ctenapoma acutirostre). These fish are tan colored with dark Leopard spots all over them and they are very attractive, They are not often seen in your LFS. They get to be about 6" at maturity and they are carnivorous, so that they should not be kept with small fish. They are Labyrinth anabantids, like Bettas and as such are air breathers. They are interesting because Ctenapoma's are one of the few anabantids from Africa. Most Anabantids come from Asia. A very attractive fish!

Old March 14th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #3
JoeyG
Fry

I went to the Greater City A.S. last Wed. evening and the auction had some interesting items in it. I was able to get a couple of bags of Riccia, which I have not seen in quite a while. The real "jewel" of the evening was a bag of 6 juvenile betta albimarginatas. WOW! They were brought in by fish breeder extradinair Jeff Bollbach. I can see at least one male coloring up into these beautiful red colors - a rare and veruy beautiful betta.
JoeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 07:41 PM   #4
JoeyG
Fry

On Friday I ventured into the wilds of New Jersey I visited Pet Shanty and saw some beautiful green neons, which I have never seen in the hobby. Also for you killie fanciers, Pet Shanty has several rare and beautiful killies in stock, it is well worth the trip to visit this amazing store in Scotch Plains, NJ on Route 22.

I then traveled up to Clifton, NJ where I visited Absolutely Fish and purchased 4 pairs of the most beautiful Cherry barbs I have ever seen. There section on african cichlids are second to none, another jewel of a store that is well worth the trip.
JoeyG is offline   Reply With Quote