Go Back   Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum > Freshwater > Fish

Fish Ask All Of Your Fish Related Questions Here.

Old April 8th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #1
rdebonis
Fry

Default Albino Claris Catfish

Many years ago I purchased a small Albino catfish with striking red eyes, large whiskers and a very large mouth for it's size. I was told it was a juvenile Albino Claris catfish. The fish was very aggressive and as it grew it ate any other fish it could fit in it's mouth. Since it was nocturnal, I would turn out the lights and find fish missing almost every morning. I finally gave it back to the store that I purchased it from. I was told recently that this fish is no longer available for sale in the U.S. because it had been released by hobbyists into local U.S. streams and because of it's aggressive nature was destroying native fish populations. It is apparently now illegal in the U.S. Does anyone know if this is true and what became of these fish?
Old April 9th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #2
MartyK
Egg

The Clarias Batrachus, (The albino version sold as "Albino Clarias Catfish") also was called a Walking Catfish. It can grow (quickl;y) to 22 inches, and will likely eat all its tankmates that fit into its mouth. It's not legal to sell here in New York, & probably many other states as well.
Perhaps they are best known for their ability to use atmospheric air while crossing marshy areas, hunting for food, or just surviving in very poorly oxygenated waters.
It might be an "Urban Legend"( but I happen to believe that this happened ) that hundreds of these catfish after escaping from fish farm ponds in Florida, & traveliing across land came across RR tracks and as they were dying,attempting to cross the tracks were piling up to such an extant that they were causing trains to De-Rail!
This link might help you answer any other questions you might have.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/fishin.../clarias.shtml
MartyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #3
rdebonis
Fry

I found this on the Wikipedia website under "Walking Catfish" , Clarius Batrachus.

(BTW: This is one of the arguments used by the proponents of HR 699)

As invasive species

In the United States it is a nonindigenous invasive species, which is now established in Florida and reported in California, Connecticut, Georgia, Massachusetts, and Nevada.
The walking catfish was imported to Florida, reportedly from Thailand, in the early 1960s for the aquarium trade.[2] The first introductions apparently occurred in the mid-1960s when adult fish imported as brood stock escaped, either from a fish farm in northeastern Broward County or from a truck transporting brood fish between Dade and Broward counties. Additional introductions in Florida, supposedly purposeful releases, were made by fish farmers in the Tampa Bay area, Hillsborough County in late 1967 or early 1968, after the state banned the importation and possession of walking catfish. Aquarium releases likely are responsible for introductions in other states. Dill and Cordone (1997) reported that this species has been sold by tropical fish dealers in California for some time. They have also been spotted in the midwest a couple of times.
In Florida, walking catfish are known to have invaded aquaculture farms, entering ponds where these predators prey on fish stocks. In response, fish farmers have had to erect fences to protect ponds. Authorities have also created laws that banned possession of walking catfish.
Old January 27th, 2012, 03:53 AM   #4
toddy
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdebonis View Post
Many years ago I purchased a small Albino catfish with striking red eyes, large whiskers and a very large mouth for it's size. I was told it was a juvenile Albino Claris catfish. The fish was very aggressive and as it grew it ate any other fish it could fit in it's mouth. Since it was nocturnal, I would turn out the lights and find fish missing almost every morning. I finally gave it back to the store that I purchased it from. I was told recently that this fish is no longer available for sale in the U.S. because it had been released by hobbyists into local U.S. streams and because of it's aggressive nature was destroying native fish populations. It is apparently now illegal in the U.S. Does anyone know if this is true and what became of these fish?
may i give you one more suggestion , don't put more fishes in .If you want to have a number of fishes in it then take another fish-pot and put them in that.Let that fish be alone ,just give a fish food twice a day.Regarding the matter about the legality you should confirm with it.
toddy is offline   Reply With Quote