Go Back   Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum > Freshwater > Plants

Plants Get Your Plant Related Questions Answered Here.

Old March 9th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #1
rdebonis
Fry

Question Plants and Darkness

Can anyone tell me if plants require darkness? That is, can a light be on a plant 24 hours a day for months with no adverse effects as long as the plant is getting the proper nutrition?
Old March 9th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #2
stevem
Super Moderator

I spoke to Izzy our plant expert, as you had me curious too. His answer was no they should not have light 24 hours, as they need to sleep so to speak. Their photo cycle is10 to 12 hours and is more then enough for most plants. More light is not good for them.
stevem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #3
uncenue09
Egg

Default Plants and Darkness

I thought I already asked this but I can't find it anywhere. So if I did, just put it down to a blond moment.

Ro fish have had ick, I got most of them out of the tank, there are about 4 babies left. I have just ordered plants. When they get here can I put the plants in or do I have to wait because of the ick?
uncenue09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #4
rdebonis
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncenue09 View Post
I thought I already asked this but I can't find it anywhere. So if I did, just put it down to a blond moment.

Ro fish have had ick, I got most of them out of the tank, there are about 4 babies left. I have just ordered plants. When they get here can I put the plants in or do I have to wait because of the ick?

Ick is a fish parasite and therefore should not affect plants. However the medication you are using to treat the Ick as well as any changes in water temperature you may do as part of the treatment may very well affect or even kill plants. Check the instructions on the Medication to see if it can be used with plants in the tank without causing problems for the plants. If in doubt, wait until the Ick is cured and then add the plants.
Old January 20th, 2010, 11:08 PM   #5
stevem
Super Moderator

There are medications that are plant safe. One that i can think of off hand is melafix & pimafix by A.P.I.
You have to remove the carbon in your filter before use of these. It also helps speads up the life cycle of the ich if you raise the temperture. I usually raise it to about 82degress.
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:46 AM   #6
rdebonis
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem View Post
There are medications that are plant safe. One that i can think of off hand is melafix & pimafix by A.P.I.
You have to remove the carbon in your filter before use of these. It also helps speads up the life cycle of the ich if you raise the temperture. I usually raise it to about 82degress.
I have to respectfully disagree about using Melafix and Pimafix to cure freshwater Ich. Melafix is an Anti-biotic made with an extract from Tea Trees and Pimafix is an Anti-Fungal made from an extract of the West Indian Bay Tree. Neither of these acts as an Anti-Parasitic. It is reported that the Marine version of Melafix will remove parasitic flatworms in Saltwater Aquariums, however the manufacturer does not recommend either product for use to treat or cure Ich which is a Parasite. From another source, "Although nothing kills the parasite once it has checked into it's fish "hotel", several chemicals kill Freshwater Ich once it has left the fish. Malachite green, methylene blue, quinine hydrochloride, and mepracrine hydrochloride are all effective, and are available under several brand names."

From API:

"PimaFix
Treats cotton-like fungal infections, and both internal and external bacterial infections. PimaFix harnesses the unique antifungal and antibacterial properties of the West Indian Bay Tree (Pimenta racemosa) for a safe and natural remedy; prevents the development of resistant strains of disease-causing organisms. Will not discolor water, affect biological filter, or pH during treatment. Will not harm aquatic plants. For extreme cases, PimaFix can safely be used with MelaFix to provide the added benefit of quick tissue regeneration and wound healing. 8 oz doses 400 gallons.

MelaFix
Contains the natural botanical extract from the Tea Tree (Melaleuca), an excellent alternative to resistant strains of bacteria that are unaffected by traditional medications. Treats bacterial infections such as red ulcers, fin and tail rot, cloudy eyes, mouth fungus, and others in as little as 4 days. Also heals open wounds, ulcers, and damaged fins. Doesn't affect pH; safe for invertebrates. MelaFix Marine can also be used with corals to control bacterial infections, reverse coral degradation and remove parasitic flatworms. 8 oz MelaFix treats 480 gallons of marine or freshwater. 64 oz MelaFix is a concentrated formula and treats 19,000 gallons. 8 oz MelaFix Marine treats 474 gallons marine water."

You are correct however that the carbon should be removed from the filter and the temperature should be raised to 82 degrees.

Melafix and Pimafix are indicated for use to cure Bacterial and Fungal Infections that arise as a result of an Ich attack but they will not cure the Ich itself. For that you need an Anti-Parasitic drug. I believe API makes a number of them.

A word about Salt Water Ich:

I do not raise Saltwater Fish, so I know nothing about Marine Ich. I did find a few articles which may help. They all seem to recommend Copper based drugs among others and two recommend Hypo-Salinity treatment. I also understand Copper in high levels can be fatal to Corals and Fish, so follow the instructions on the label.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...ths-facts.html

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/ich...yptocaryon.htm

A word of Caution, some of the drugs that cure Ich are dangerous to Humans, so read the labels and follow the instructions carefully.

Old January 21st, 2010, 10:10 PM   #7
stevem
Super Moderator

In saltwater the only reliable cure for ich is copper.
First it can not be used in a reef tank or a tank with live rock.
It will kill off coral, and anything good growing on the rocks, and make them no longer live rock.
If it is used you need a test kit to monitor how much copper is used.
As far as freshwater I am sure you are right.
Old December 1st, 2014, 09:40 PM   #8
KC2PED
Egg

I have heard that plants need darkness
But I just realized...
in the Land of the Midnight Sun it doesn't get dark for months and they still have plants
I often have my lights burning 24 hours a day on sleepless nights and the plants don't seem to mind at all
its a very strong maybe that that is part of why I get occasional algal blooms though

A seed hidden in the heart of an apple is an orchard invisible
Welsh Proverb
KC2PED is offline   Reply With Quote