Go Back   Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum > Freshwater > General Discussion

General Discussion General Freshwater Aquaria Discussion.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 31st, 2014, 09:05 PM   #121
dsuperman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 162
Rep Power: 10 dsuperman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

I' ll be wondering also about maturity. Half fungused,the other half did not hatch. Maybe sterile this time at that age?
__________________
dsuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2014, 10:49 AM   #122
stevem
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 678
Rep Power: 23 stevem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Maybe males not mature enough yet
stevem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 10:26 PM   #123
dsuperman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 162
Rep Power: 10 dsuperman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

These guys are old. Kinda quick for them,two weeks later the silver dollars spawned again. Saved around 20 again,half turned blue from methylene,we'll see about the others.
__________________
dsuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2014, 04:49 PM   #124
elcue
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 150
Rep Power: 12 elcue is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuperman View Post
These guys are old. Kinda quick for them,two weeks later the silver dollars spawned again. Saved around 20 again,half turned blue from methylene,we'll see about the others.


They may be old, but might just be hitting their stride. The only references to maturity that I find, comment on size , not age. So what happened?? are you babying babies?


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metynnis_argenteus :

In most cases, sexual maturity sets in when M. argenteus grow to around four inches long, though this remains variable. Among a given shoal, the males tend to become active before the females and spend a period of time sparring while the females look on. When the females do eventually become sexually active, courtship and spawning in a healthy shoal kept under optimum conditions often become a daily activity. M. argenteus are prolific, group-spawning egg scatterers which show little if any interest in their own young. They scatter eggs among fine-leaved plants as well as directly on to the substrate during a characteristic, side-by-side, shimmying courtship ritual. It is a common practice among breeders to put a layer of marbles on the bottom of the tank if breeding is desired in a community tank. The idea is that the eggs fall between the gaps in the marbles where they can develop in peace: other fish can't get to them during that vulnerable period and when the fry do eventually rise they are equipped with a chance of dodging predators
elcue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #125
dsuperman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 162
Rep Power: 10 dsuperman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default babying 3 wigglers.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/gSESSsPc2o4?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/gSESSsPc2o4?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object> I've read ten plus years for silver dollars and that they can lay 2,000 eggs. Male no. 2 was eating the eggs faster than i could grab them, still i bet there wasn't 50 eggs total.http://youtu.be/gSESSsPc2o4

Those betta smaragdina spawned within days due to your super conditioning. I wasn't paying attention, i think i see 3 fry [3 again?].
__________________

Last edited by dsuperman; November 16th, 2014 at 06:07 PM.
dsuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #126
elcue
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 150
Rep Power: 12 elcue is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Hey three's a good number. Did the others not eye up? NEXT TIME...

Good news on the smaragdina - they're nice fish
elcue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #127
dsuperman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 162
Rep Power: 10 dsuperman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Yep ,next time. They didn't eye up.
__________________
dsuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2014, 07:50 PM   #128
elcue
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 150
Rep Power: 12 elcue is on a distinguished road
Smile Barbatus spawning..

My baby Barbatus are spawning Guess I should stop calling them baby...maybe they're 19 months old


He's a beauty

elcue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2014, 11:13 PM   #129
dsuperman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 162
Rep Power: 10 dsuperman is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Wow! That is the most attractive cat really and you have them spawning in november, congratulations.
__________________
dsuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2014, 09:14 PM   #130
elcue
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 150
Rep Power: 12 elcue is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuperman View Post
Wow! That is the most attractive cat really and you have them spawning in november, congratulations.
They can't figure out what month it is, they're still trying to figure out how it is, that they're swimming w/ Asian rummynoses. Nothing hatched, so maybe still too young...
elcue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 11:55 PM   #131
KC2PED
Egg
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 22
Rep Power: 0 KC2PED is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

I often breed contempt
__________________
Charlie
+

A seed hidden in the heart of an apple is an orchard invisible
Welsh Proverb
KC2PED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 02:51 PM   #132
elcue
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 150
Rep Power: 12 elcue is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up The Flowerhorns have spawned

dsuperman - Your female Flowerhorn has spawned! It's posted in two other threads, but for some reason not this one Dr Price is going to be up to his ears in baby brine
elcue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 08:53 PM   #133
dsuperman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 162
Rep Power: 10 dsuperman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Thats great news! Merry Christmas! Sounded like he had them conditioned really well. The female looked beautiful last i saw her, i bet his male is super good looking.
__________________
dsuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 09:25 AM   #134
robertprice
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chelsea
Posts: 412
Rep Power: 20 robertprice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

The eggs hatched last night. They were on a vertical rock, so they fry rolled down into the gravel which the female is patrolling.
__________________
Dr. Robert Price
robertprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 01:36 PM   #135
elcue
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 150
Rep Power: 12 elcue is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

QUOTE=robertprice;4401]The eggs hatched last night. They were on a vertical rock, so they fry rolled down into the gravel which the female is patrolling.[/quote]

Nice

Let the seemingly endless cycle of water changes/brine shrimp hatching begin!

elcue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 01:55 PM   #136
elcue
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 150
Rep Power: 12 elcue is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcue View Post
My baby Barbatus are spawning Guess I should stop calling them baby...maybe they're 19 months old


He's a beauty



Update:

I'm no longer calling him baby or beauty, this week he's that Little $h!t. I pulled him out of the tank as he was tormenting another male - and that's when I uncovered the two dead females. So now I have three males, and after donating over a hundred of their siblings to the club - no females. He is stunning though... There we go, next week's name Stunning Little $h!t
elcue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #137
dsuperman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 162
Rep Power: 10 dsuperman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Well, he is stunning that little spit! Don't worry, i'm sure someone you donated to would be willing to sell you a female or two. Say... $27.99 each?
All i keep is a poor genuine imitation barbatus "paleatus" or i would have sent you some females right quick,sorry.http://youtu.be/Zrw52NKQYJg?list=UUe...YQubeVZiS6fkOg
__________________
dsuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2014, 12:14 AM   #138
robertprice
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chelsea
Posts: 412
Rep Power: 20 robertprice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

The Black Flowerhorns ate all their Fry as they hatched. This is totally aberrant behavior after all their preparations and guarding the ggs for 2 days, and I have no plausible explanation.
__________________
Dr. Robert Price
robertprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 03:05 PM   #139
robertprice
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chelsea
Posts: 412
Rep Power: 20 robertprice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

PLEASE DISREGARD THE ABOVE! The Flowerhorns did in fact scoop out every one of the babies and put them somewhere in the closed off cave where I was unable to see any. This morning the whole swarm is back to their original birthplace. This is the first time I have seen a pair of Flowerhorns hide all their newborn fry for 4 days, and the return them, but perhaps I should have anticipated this as they were building 2 constructions all the while.
__________________
Dr. Robert Price
robertprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 05:55 PM   #140
elcue
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 150
Rep Power: 12 elcue is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuperman View Post
Well, he is stunning that little spit! Don't worry, i'm sure someone you donated to would be willing to sell you a female or two. Say... $27.99 each?
All i keep is a poor genuine imitation barbatus "paleatus" or i would have sent you some females right quick,sorry.http://youtu.be/Zrw52NKQYJg?list=UUe...YQubeVZiS6fkOg
That's too funny (well, not really, and you're not the first to say it) I've donated hundreds of bags of fish to club's auctions (favorite part of the hobby), but I wonder, "How are they doing?" They don't call, they don't write...

I know that if you had a spare female she'd be here w/ the celestial pearls / plants that you sent me - you're a true hobbyist (w/ shipping skills, which makes it even better)!

Yesterday, another club member brought me some Epiplatys togolensis; which are already spawning , saw a few eggs a while ago

elcue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 06:07 PM   #141
elcue
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 150
Rep Power: 12 elcue is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertprice View Post
PLEASE DISREGARD THE ABOVE! The Flowerhorns did in fact scoop out every one of the babies and put them somewhere in the closed off cave where I was unable to see any. This morning the whole swarm is back to their original birthplace. This is the first time I have seen a pair of Flowerhorns hide all their newborn fry for 4 days, and the return them, but perhaps I should have anticipated this as they were building 2 constructions all the while.
ooohh, sneaky devils. So they hatched on 12/7, they hid them, and now have let them out to eat. So I repeat - Let the seemingly endless cycle of water changes/brine shrimp hatching begin!
elcue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 07:11 PM   #142
dsuperman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 162
Rep Power: 10 dsuperman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

'
Originally Posted by robertprice
"PLEASE DISREGARD THE ABOVE! The Flowerhorns did in fact scoop out every one of the babies and put them somewhere in the closed off cave where I was unable to see any. This morning the whole swarm is back to their original birthplace. This is the first time I have seen a pair of Flowerhorns hide all their newborn fry for 4 days, and the return them, but perhaps I should have anticipated this as they were building 2 constructions all the while."

They need to be told that they are flowerhorns, not angelfish. Congratulations on finding them, put a fishcam in that cave.
__________________
dsuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #143
dsuperman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 162
Rep Power: 10 dsuperman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcue View Post
That's too funny (well, not really, and you're not the first to say it) I've donated hundreds of bags of fish to club's auctions (favorite part of the hobby), but I wonder, "How are they doing?" They don't call, they don't write...

I know that if you had a spare female she'd be here w/ the celestial pearls / plants that you sent me - you're a true hobbyist (w/ shipping skills, which makes it even better)!

Yesterday, another club member brought me some Epiplatys togolensis; which are already spawning , saw a few eggs a while ago

See, when you SELL fish they usually write back. "All is swell , i arrived alive and well"
So you just kicked that poor Barbatus to the curb and now you're a killie nut? Make up my mind already!

Seriously, looks like a great addition to your collection,its always a wonder why killiefish are not more popular. That fish is pretty and seems kinda rare,is it an annual? So now put yer bifocals on and start picking eggs on a daily basis.
__________________
dsuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2014, 06:09 PM   #144
elcue
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 150
Rep Power: 12 elcue is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuperman View Post
See, when you SELL fish they usually write back. "All is swell , i arrived alive and well"
So you just kicked that poor Barbatus to the curb and now you're a killie nut? Make up my mind already!

Seriously, looks like a great addition to your collection,its always a wonder why killiefish are not more popular. That fish is pretty and seems kinda rare,is it an annual? So now put yer bifocals on and start picking eggs on a daily basis.
No, the barbs are still here, they're waiting for the girls to arrive

non annual according to this site : http://http://translate.google.com/t...y/&prev=search

Found more eggs this morn, in mop and on the glass, so now I don't know what I have. The candidates are killies, ottos or c. napoensis, or a combination thereof Lots were bad, so it might be the napos which are huge and never spawn. But I'm hoping that the ottos are coming of age, and that the first spawn was bad...there were about 60 eggs on the glass , catfish style. But who knows?? We'll see if anything hatches...
elcue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #145
dsuperman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 162
Rep Power: 10 dsuperman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Congratulations, the naps and/or the ottos "smelled" the milt from the killies and that triggered them to spawn?
__________________
dsuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2014, 09:38 PM   #146
elcue
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 150
Rep Power: 12 elcue is on a distinguished road
Default

Hoping it's the ottos, they're nice little fish. I can't remember if the napos are my adults or their offspring, from a 6/08 spawning. Either way they're not young

elcue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 06:28 PM   #147
elcue
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 150
Rep Power: 12 elcue is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcue View Post

Found more eggs this morn, in mop and on the glass, so now I don't know what I have. The candidates are killies, ottos or c. napoensis, or a combination thereof Lots were bad, so it might be the napos which are huge and never spawn. But I'm hoping that the ottos are coming of age, and that the first spawn was bad...there were about 60 eggs on the glass , catfish style. But who knows?? We'll see if anything hatches...
Well only a few hatched, they are definitely catfish. They're so teeny - maybe I'll know what they are by Christmas!
elcue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 07:33 PM   #148
dsuperman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 162
Rep Power: 10 dsuperman is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Those cories are nice sized fish that have decent sized eggs, my guess is the ottos. Good luck.
__________________
dsuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2015, 03:10 PM   #149
elcue
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 150
Rep Power: 12 elcue is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcue View Post
Well only a few hatched, they are definitely catfish. They're so teeny - maybe I'll know what they are by Christmas!
Christmas came and went, as did the fish. Think I may have misjudged the yolk size, and fed too late. Hopefully next time. Pulled some killie eggs, going to try to hatch w/out the meth blue. Livin' on the edge here.
elcue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 02:05 PM   #150
dsuperman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 162
Rep Power: 10 dsuperman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Geez, now i can't use the slapface smiley. Yeah, i've been there many times overfeeding and underfeeding fry. You are brave with those killie eggs, good luck.
__________________
dsuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.14806 seconds with 11 queries