Go Back   Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum > Saltwater > General Discussion

General Discussion General Marine Aquaria Discussion.

Old September 28th, 2012, 12:07 PM   #1
Rossf1
Egg

Default Help! Anyone

Hello all,

Herer is my story. I had a 90 gallon african cichlid tank running for many years.
I slowly started adding marine salt as I was told this was good for the fish.

A few weeks back I noticed some ick, I turned up the temp, treated with coppersafe. Tank was better within days.

My son and I visited the local fish store and in conversation i was told that they keep their saltwater fish in a salinity of 1.012-1.016 and this is to keep the fish healthy. This started me thinking, my water is already brackish so let see exactly where the salinity is. I tested it and came up with 1.010. I slowly increased thi to 1.012 and then decided to do a small experiment. I purchased 4 damsels which I was told are very hardy. two did not make it as they were turned into african food. The other two (black and white strip) made it through the first day and night.

One week went by and these were still alive. I decided to add a few more saltwater fish and see how it goes. I added a nigger triger, foxface, and yellow tang and coral beauty.

Within three days the coral beauty started swimming funny. It seemed like swim bladder. After another week went by and I noticed some of the saltwater fish seem to be swimming awkwardly, vertical or sidewas. My ph was right 8.3 and salinity was at 1.013. My thoughts were maybe adverse effects to the coppersafe. Last night I did a rather large water change 40% and this morning most fish seem to be swimming better, except one bi color angel, he still a little weird with his tail pointed down instead of straight.

I have removed almost all the cihclids from the tank, I have done major water change. I have lots of air going into tank, and there is no coral. I have kept lights out for a few days to give fish less stress

90 gallon
1 eihem Professional - filter media and carbon replced the fiber pads and carbon yesterday
1 Eihem Professional wet/dry canister - just filter media
1 Power Small head
Lots of rock, not live
Use prime or stress coat as water conditioner
instant ocean salt

My amonia test always reads high but I have been told if no nitrates and nitrits then its a false positive Also that the prime and stress coat will give a false positive.

How do I nurse all these guys back to health and get a good healty aguarium going from where I am now.

Please do not judge me or how I got here, this all happened unintentionally. Just help me get this right please.

Take a quick peak at tank if you like

Last edited by Rossf1; September 28th, 2012 at 12:27 PM.
Rossf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #2
stevem
Super Moderator

Default salt levels

I have had problem before with fish where the saliniy is too low.
It seema to affect thier gills and swimming
As far as the ammonia I do not agree
you do not say if you put all 4 saltwater fish in at the same time.
if so this would spike your ammonia
salt is more sensative then fresh in the cycle area( ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)
stevem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #3
stevem
Super Moderator

I would bring the salinity up slowly
Do more water changes with a slightly higher salinty to bring it up
stevem is offline   Reply With Quote