Go Back   Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum > Freshwater > New To Freshwater Hobby

New To Freshwater Hobby New To Freshwater Aquaria? Introduce Yourself And Ask Your Noobie Questions Here.

Old August 29th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #1
Bonnie
Fry

Default Hi All

Hi All,
Well I'm not brand new to the hobby but I haven't had a tank in 30 years! Now I finally have the room, haha, the kids have gone Years ago I had a 20 gallon that I grew my red and tiger baby oscars in, then transferred them to a 50 gallon, where they just grew and grew. Had them with a jack dempsy and a porthole cichlid. They were the best, they would come to the top of the water so I could pet their heads. Like little fishy dogs! I am now looking for another tank. Possible a 55 gal., only the depth of 12 or 13" doesn't thrill me, very narrow, but maybe not. I'm not going to keep oscars this time.
I found an add for a 55 gal. tank, stand, power whisper 70 filter, heater, bulb and fixture, decor,natural rock,air pump and python water changing system for $250. Sounds good, but the boyfriend is afraid since it is not new(2yrs old) that it might break and there would be tons of water all over. What do you think, is price good and buying a used tank, is there anything I can do to it to assure it would be sound? Thanks for any info, I thought is was a decent price. If I start a 75 gal from scratch it's going to cost me much more from what I saw out there in the stores.
Thanks for any info, sorry to run on too long.
Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 10:00 PM   #2
stevem
Super Moderator

75 is so much better then the 55. The 75 give you 18 from front to back. Much better for large cichlids. that is the way we all start and then move up, which cost more in the long run. I started with 1 tank, and now have 12 , and are alway looking for another empty space.
stevem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 01:14 PM   #3
Bonnie
Fry

Default Hi All

Thanks Steve, I'm going with the 75 gallon. I like the sizing much better.
Will be picking it up sometime next week, can't wait! Thinking of Discus and Koi Angels, or
just a straight community tank. So you have 12 tanks! I'm already thinking of a second small tank to
house Celestial Pearl Danio's, love them, with maybe some White Clouds and Cory's( the peppered cory can take a lower temp from what I read). The will be my cool water tank,lol, then a african biotope.......gotta stop!
Old September 1st, 2010, 06:04 PM   #4
stevem
Super Moderator

i do not like to mix angels and discus, angels become a little aggresive as they get big.
There is little to put with discus, maybe neon, cardinals, rasboras, small fish that will not harass them. As much as I love discus they can be very sensitive. they need excellent water quality, I would say 2-3 water changes a week at the least. if you can not do that you are setting yourself up for a disapointment.
Old September 1st, 2010, 10:21 PM   #5
Bonnie
Fry

You know, I've gotten so much different information already, books say one thing, and all books don't say the same thing!I have 3 species books including Axelrods mini atlas and Beanches(sp?), and unless you know the scientific names forget it. Fortunately I can pick out the fish I've known and write the names down on the others I want to research. Also I spoke with someone from Marks Discus today and he told me I can't keep anything with Discus except pleco's and Angels, go figure. I think I'm sticking with a community tank and call it a day! Thanks for the info, I have alot to learn! I've joined B.A.S and am looking foward to the first meeting
Old September 6th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #6
stevem
Super Moderator

Mark has great discus, if you do go discus he is the one to look at.
Old September 7th, 2010, 09:19 AM   #7
xoomer
Admin

Thread moved to freshwater section... Welcome aboard Bonnie