Go Back   Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum > Freshwater > General Discussion

General Discussion General Freshwater Aquaria Discussion.

Old October 31st, 2014, 09:05 PM   #121
dsuperman

I' ll be wondering also about maturity. Half fungused,the other half did not hatch. Maybe sterile this time at that age?
Old November 1st, 2014, 10:49 AM   #122
stevem
Super Moderator

Maybe males not mature enough yet
stevem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 10:26 PM   #123
dsuperman

These guys are old. Kinda quick for them,two weeks later the silver dollars spawned again. Saved around 20 again,half turned blue from methylene,we'll see about the others.
Old November 16th, 2014, 04:49 PM   #124
elcue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuperman View Post
These guys are old. Kinda quick for them,two weeks later the silver dollars spawned again. Saved around 20 again,half turned blue from methylene,we'll see about the others.

They may be old, but might just be hitting their stride. The only references to maturity that I find, comment on size , not age. So what happened?? are you babying babies?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metynnis_argenteus :

In most cases, sexual maturity sets in when M. argenteus grow to around four inches long, though this remains variable. Among a given shoal, the males tend to become active before the females and spend a period of time sparring while the females look on. When the females do eventually become sexually active, courtship and spawning in a healthy shoal kept under optimum conditions often become a daily activity. M. argenteus are prolific, group-spawning egg scatterers which show little if any interest in their own young. They scatter eggs among fine-leaved plants as well as directly on to the substrate during a characteristic, side-by-side, shimmying courtship ritual. It is a common practice among breeders to put a layer of marbles on the bottom of the tank if breeding is desired in a community tank. The idea is that the eggs fall between the gaps in the marbles where they can develop in peace: other fish can't get to them during that vulnerable period and when the fry do eventually rise they are equipped with a chance of dodging predators
elcue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #125
dsuperman

Default babying 3 wigglers.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/gSESSsPc2o4?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/gSESSsPc2o4?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object> I've read ten plus years for silver dollars and that they can lay 2,000 eggs. Male no. 2 was eating the eggs faster than i could grab them, still i bet there wasn't 50 eggs total.http://youtu.be/gSESSsPc2o4

Those betta smaragdina spawned within days due to your super conditioning. I wasn't paying attention, i think i see 3 fry [3 again?].

Last edited by dsuperman; November 16th, 2014 at 06:07 PM.
dsuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #126
elcue

Thumbs up

Hey three's a good number. Did the others not eye up? NEXT TIME...

Good news on the smaragdina - they're nice fish
Old November 17th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #127
dsuperman

Yep ,next time. They didn't eye up.
Old November 21st, 2014, 07:50 PM   #128
elcue

Smile Barbatus spawning..

My baby Barbatus are spawning Guess I should stop calling them baby...maybe they're 19 months old

He's a beauty

Old November 21st, 2014, 11:13 PM   #129
dsuperman

Thumbs up

Wow! That is the most attractive cat really and you have them spawning in november, congratulations.
Old November 28th, 2014, 09:14 PM   #130
elcue

Unhappy

Quote:
Wow! That is the most attractive cat really and you have them spawning in november, congratulations.
They can't figure out what month it is, they're still trying to figure out how it is, that they're swimming w/ Asian rummynoses. Nothing hatched, so maybe still too young...
Old December 1st, 2014, 11:55 PM   #131
KC2PED
Egg

I often breed contempt

A seed hidden in the heart of an apple is an orchard invisible
Welsh Proverb
KC2PED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2014, 02:51 PM   #132
elcue

Thumbs up The Flowerhorns have spawned

dsuperman - Your female Flowerhorn has spawned! It's posted in two other threads, but for some reason not this one Dr Price is going to be up to his ears in baby brine
Old December 7th, 2014, 08:53 PM   #133
dsuperman

Thats great news! Merry Christmas! Sounded like he had them conditioned really well. The female looked beautiful last i saw her, i bet his male is super good looking.
Old December 8th, 2014, 09:25 AM   #134
robertprice

Rep Power: 31 robertprice is an unknown quantity at this point

The eggs hatched last night. They were on a vertical rock, so they fry rolled down into the gravel which the female is patrolling.
Old December 8th, 2014, 01:36 PM   #135
elcue

Thumbs up

QUOTE=robertprice;4401]The eggs hatched last night. They were on a vertical rock, so they fry rolled down into the gravel which the female is patrolling.[/quote]

Nice

Let the seemingly endless cycle of water changes/brine shrimp hatching begin!

Old December 8th, 2014, 01:55 PM   #136
elcue

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcue View Post
My baby Barbatus are spawning Guess I should stop calling them baby...maybe they're 19 months old

He's a beauty

Update:

I'm no longer calling him baby or beauty, this week he's that Little $h!t. I pulled him out of the tank as he was tormenting another male - and that's when I uncovered the two dead females. So now I have three males, and after donating over a hundred of their siblings to the club - no females. He is stunning though... There we go, next week's name Stunning Little $h!t
Old December 9th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #137
dsuperman

Well, he is stunning that little spit! Don't worry, i'm sure someone you donated to would be willing to sell you a female or two. Say... $27.99 each?
All i keep is a poor genuine imitation barbatus "paleatus" or i would have sent you some females right quick,sorry.http://youtu.be/Zrw52NKQYJg?list=UUe...YQubeVZiS6fkOg
Old December 10th, 2014, 12:14 AM   #138
robertprice

The Black Flowerhorns ate all their Fry as they hatched. This is totally aberrant behavior after all their preparations and guarding the ggs for 2 days, and I have no plausible explanation.
Old December 11th, 2014, 03:05 PM   #139
robertprice

PLEASE DISREGARD THE ABOVE! The Flowerhorns did in fact scoop out every one of the babies and put them somewhere in the closed off cave where I was unable to see any. This morning the whole swarm is back to their original birthplace. This is the first time I have seen a pair of Flowerhorns hide all their newborn fry for 4 days, and the return them, but perhaps I should have anticipated this as they were building 2 constructions all the while.
Old December 11th, 2014, 05:55 PM   #140
elcue

Quote:
Well, he is stunning that little spit! Don't worry, i'm sure someone you donated to would be willing to sell you a female or two. Say... $27.99 each?
All i keep is a poor genuine imitation barbatus "paleatus" or i would have sent you some females right quick,sorry.http://youtu.be/Zrw52NKQYJg?list=UUe...YQubeVZiS6fkOg
That's too funny (well, not really, and you're not the first to say it) I've donated hundreds of bags of fish to club's auctions (favorite part of the hobby), but I wonder, "How are they doing?" They don't call, they don't write...

I know that if you had a spare female she'd be here w/ the celestial pearls / plants that you sent me - you're a true hobbyist (w/ shipping skills, which makes it even better)!

Yesterday, another club member brought me some Epiplatys togolensis; which are already spawning , saw a few eggs a while ago

Old December 11th, 2014, 06:07 PM   #141
elcue

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertprice View Post
PLEASE DISREGARD THE ABOVE! The Flowerhorns did in fact scoop out every one of the babies and put them somewhere in the closed off cave where I was unable to see any. This morning the whole swarm is back to their original birthplace. This is the first time I have seen a pair of Flowerhorns hide all their newborn fry for 4 days, and the return them, but perhaps I should have anticipated this as they were building 2 constructions all the while.
ooohh, sneaky devils. So they hatched on 12/7, they hid them, and now have let them out to eat. So I repeat - Let the seemingly endless cycle of water changes/brine shrimp hatching begin!
Old December 11th, 2014, 07:11 PM   #142
dsuperman

'
Originally Posted by robertprice
"PLEASE DISREGARD THE ABOVE! The Flowerhorns did in fact scoop out every one of the babies and put them somewhere in the closed off cave where I was unable to see any. This morning the whole swarm is back to their original birthplace. This is the first time I have seen a pair of Flowerhorns hide all their newborn fry for 4 days, and the return them, but perhaps I should have anticipated this as they were building 2 constructions all the while."

They need to be told that they are flowerhorns, not angelfish. Congratulations on finding them, put a fishcam in that cave.
Old December 11th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #143
dsuperman

Quote:
That's too funny (well, not really, and you're not the first to say it) I've donated hundreds of bags of fish to club's auctions (favorite part of the hobby), but I wonder, "How are they doing?" They don't call, they don't write...

I know that if you had a spare female she'd be here w/ the celestial pearls / plants that you sent me - you're a true hobbyist (w/ shipping skills, which makes it even better)!

Yesterday, another club member brought me some Epiplatys togolensis; which are already spawning , saw a few eggs a while ago

See, when you SELL fish they usually write back. "All is swell , i arrived alive and well"
So you just kicked that poor Barbatus to the curb and now you're a killie nut? Make up my mind already!

Seriously, looks like a great addition to your collection,its always a wonder why killiefish are not more popular. That fish is pretty and seems kinda rare,is it an annual? So now put yer bifocals on and start picking eggs on a daily basis.
Old December 14th, 2014, 06:09 PM   #144
elcue

Quote:
See, when you SELL fish they usually write back. "All is swell , i arrived alive and well"
So you just kicked that poor Barbatus to the curb and now you're a killie nut? Make up my mind already!

Seriously, looks like a great addition to your collection,its always a wonder why killiefish are not more popular. That fish is pretty and seems kinda rare,is it an annual? So now put yer bifocals on and start picking eggs on a daily basis.
No, the barbs are still here, they're waiting for the girls to arrive

non annual according to this site : http://http://translate.google.com/t...y/&prev=search

Found more eggs this morn, in mop and on the glass, so now I don't know what I have. The candidates are killies, ottos or c. napoensis, or a combination thereof Lots were bad, so it might be the napos which are huge and never spawn. But I'm hoping that the ottos are coming of age, and that the first spawn was bad...there were about 60 eggs on the glass , catfish style. But who knows?? We'll see if anything hatches...
Old December 14th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #145
dsuperman

Congratulations, the naps and/or the ottos "smelled" the milt from the killies and that triggered them to spawn?
Old December 14th, 2014, 09:38 PM   #146
elcue

Hoping it's the ottos, they're nice little fish. I can't remember if the napos are my adults or their offspring, from a 6/08 spawning. Either way they're not young

Old December 18th, 2014, 06:28 PM   #147
elcue

Quote:

Found more eggs this morn, in mop and on the glass, so now I don't know what I have. The candidates are killies, ottos or c. napoensis, or a combination thereof Lots were bad, so it might be the napos which are huge and never spawn. But I'm hoping that the ottos are coming of age, and that the first spawn was bad...there were about 60 eggs on the glass , catfish style. But who knows?? We'll see if anything hatches...
Well only a few hatched, they are definitely catfish. They're so teeny - maybe I'll know what they are by Christmas!
Old December 18th, 2014, 07:33 PM   #148
dsuperman

Thumbs up

Those cories are nice sized fish that have decent sized eggs, my guess is the ottos. Good luck.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 03:10 PM   #149
elcue

Thumbs down

Quote:
Well only a few hatched, they are definitely catfish. They're so teeny - maybe I'll know what they are by Christmas!
Christmas came and went, as did the fish. Think I may have misjudged the yolk size, and fed too late. Hopefully next time. Pulled some killie eggs, going to try to hatch w/out the meth blue. Livin' on the edge here.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 02:05 PM   #150
dsuperman

Geez, now i can't use the slapface smiley. Yeah, i've been there many times overfeeding and underfeeding fry. You are brave with those killie eggs, good luck.