Go Back   Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum > Freshwater > New To Freshwater Hobby

New To Freshwater Hobby New To Freshwater Aquaria? Introduce Yourself And Ask Your Noobie Questions Here.

Old April 9th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #1
rdebonis
Fry

Question Licorice Gouramies

I would like to purchase 10 Licorice Gouramis (Parosphromenus ornaticauda), They are very small, around 1" and are peaceful with their own kind. Do you think I could keep them and breed them in a 10 Gallon tank or will I need a larger tank?
Old April 15th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #2
bderen
Egg

I'd say 10G tank might be too small for 10 1" fish. Do they get aggresive when going into breeding mode?
bderen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #3
rdebonis
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bderen View Post
I'd say 10G tank might be too small for 10 1" fish. Do they get aggresive when going into breeding mode?
I purchased these fish, Parosphromenus ornaticauda and they were extremely tiny about 1 to 2 centemeters. They were definitely not aggressive, hanging out together and appeared to have plenty of room in the tank. I use the word were, because they all died within 1 week. I followed all the advise I could find on these fish. Since they come from Peat Swamps in Borneo, the tank was heavily planted, I kept the pH at 5.5 to 6.0, gH low and used Peat Pellets in the tank as well as Kents Black Water Extract. I fed them live BBS and finely crushed Algae Flakes as recommended in all the articles I could find. The fish were very shy and very slow moving unless startled, so I didn't think anything of this. I thought this is how the species is, in hindsite I now think the fish were either drugged or sick. What ever it was that caused them to die it was internal because the fish showed no outward signs of illness. I did notice that just before they expired they would hang upside down perfectly still and completely vertical in the water column, then they would be gone in about 1 hour. I have a lot of experience with Anabantids and I have never had a fish this delicate or this strange. Ananbantids because they are air breathers usually hang at the surface gasping for air when they are in extreme stress and about to expire. I did however have fair warning that these fish besides being rare are very difficult to keep. Being stubborn, I will probably try them again, though this time from a different seller. In the meantime, I will try Parosphromenus deissneri, a close relative that's easier to keep, not as delicate and much less expensive!

Last edited by rdebonis; May 8th, 2009 at 02:06 PM.
rdebonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #4
bderen
Egg

^^^ Sorry to hear, it sucks when the whole bunch goes like that.
bderen is offline   Reply With Quote