Go Back   Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum > Freshwater > General Discussion

General Discussion General Freshwater Aquaria Discussion.

Old December 6th, 2014, 09:00 AM   #1
robertprice

Rep Power: 31 robertprice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Black Flowerhorns Lay Eggs

On the morning of Nov 6, at about 4 AM,. the pair of Black Kamfa Flowerhorns llaid about 500 eggs on the black slate rock rock which comnprises about 50% of the outside of their former sleeping tunnel. They also move the 20 lb fossiliferous stone that is the door to the tunnel so it is now about twice as wide at the entrance and will easier accomodate the large male. The tunnel is now a cave, as they plugged the rear entrance up which about 15 inches of pebbles and stones. Both fish are in front of the eggs, very close to my bed, and appearently unafraid or acting particulrly defenselively.

This was a personal record for the quickest Flowerhorn spawning I have seen. Many have danced for weeks: they danced for 2 days, dug a lot for 2 days and deposited the eggs in the nesting area. I suspect when the fry hatch, they will herd them into the cave.

As far as I know, this is the first dcumented spawning of Balck or "Grey Thunder Flowerhorns" in the USA.
Old December 7th, 2014, 02:33 PM   #2
elcue

Thumbs up

Nice...

Get those brine hatcheries ready...
elcue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 05:13 PM   #3
robertprice

Rep Power: 31 robertprice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Black Flowerhorn Fry!

The Black Flowerhorns engaged in some strange "mouthbrooding" behavior which made me thinlk they ate their fry for a few days. As soon as they hatched, they scooped up every one and deposited them in a cave where therir sleeping tunnel used to be, completely walled off where there was no visibility. On the morning on December 13, once the fry were free swimming, they broke down the entrance to the cave, cleared the entire path from the cave to the original birthing rock of all substrate, and put all the now free swimming fry back to where they were born. I have seen Flowerhorns use nests with 2 entrances before, and dig two and abandon one, but this the first time I have ever seen them dig 2 separate nest pits and tranfer the fry by mouth from one to the other and then back.