Go Back   Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum > Freshwater > Plants

Plants Get Your Plant Related Questions Answered Here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2013, 06:46 AM   #1
robertprice
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chelsea
Posts: 412
Rep Power: 20 robertprice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bad Algae

I often get questions about what causes and how to get rid of hair algae. Hair algae is caused by excessive nitrates, excessive phosphates, overfeeding, poop in the gravel, infrequent water changes, and too much light. If you have it, cut your wattage down, feed less, and don't keep lights on for more than 8 hours a day. WildfFish and plants don't live in actinic showcase conditions. Vacuum gravel often, and test for nitrates and phosphates in your tank and tap water.

Most standard algae remedies don't kill all hair algae. Otos and snails make tracks in it, but almost never eradicate it. The two fish that do it best are American Flag Fish and Prochilodus insignis.
__________________
Dr. Robert Price
robertprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #2
stevem
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 676
Rep Power: 23 stevem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hair algae

I agree with most of what u say
As far as the lights that depend on what is in the tank
If it is a reef or planted tank u r going to need about 10 hour per day. Depending on the light wattage and the live stock that needs it
As far as a fish only tank, the light is more for u then the fish, % hour is fine. If u r near a window even less
Always try to stay clear of direct sunlight. Over stocking and overfeeding r big factors.
stevem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #3
robertprice
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chelsea
Posts: 412
Rep Power: 20 robertprice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Clarification

I was referring to fresh water hair algae, but do have to agree sunlight is a major contributor. Most people don't realize that most wild caught fish never see light half as bright as what we put on tanks. And the nitrates are definitely a byproduct of overfeeding in many cases.
__________________
Dr. Robert Price
robertprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #4
stevem
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 676
Rep Power: 23 stevem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

i spaek to many hobbist that keep light on 10-12 hour or even longer
not good
stevem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.06980 seconds with 13 queries