Go Back   Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum > Freshwater > General Discussion

General Discussion General Freshwater Aquaria Discussion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 22nd, 2009, 06:01 PM   #1
rdebonis
Fry

Exclamation Interesting Fish Seen About Town - 4/22/09

I had an unexpected day off today, so I decided to go to local fish stores in my neighborhood.

Brooklyn Zoo has HUGE Show Congo Tetras in their large plant tank. They are a bit pricey, but they are the largest I have ever seen and the colors are magnificent. Perfect for an African Congo Biotope tank. In addition, in the same plant tank there is a fascinating member of the Loricariidae family, the Royal Farlowella scientific name Sturisoma Aureum or Sturisoma Panamense, not sure which one, but it is the most elegant slim Pleco type fish I have ever seen. A really outstanding specimen.

Petland Discount on Avenue U in the Home Depot Mall has stunning large Neon Blue Dwarf Gouramies
These are some of the best stock of this species I have seen. The color is irridescent and the body shape is a perfect Dwarf Gourami shape. Sometimes you have to be careful when buying Dwarf Gouramies because they had been "bred out" so much that they are susceptible to disease, but the outstanding quality of these fish makes them well worth buying. They also have very large Black Tetras, dark with a brilliant green irridescent stripe running through them. A group of these would make a stunning display in any tank. Both of these fish are very reasonably priced.