Go Back   Brooklyn Aquarium Society - Public Forum > Freshwater > General Discussion

General Discussion General Freshwater Aquaria Discussion.

Old March 19th, 2013, 11:18 AM   #1
robertprice

Rep Power: 31 robertprice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Distichodus For Algae Clean Up

After Hurricane Sandy, I didn't have much left in my 55 gallon community tank except a big Clown Knifefish and a lot of algae. As I decided to make it an exotic and rare fish community, I went shopping for a suitable algae eater. My old friend Sam in Chinatown has one Distichodus insignis in stock. I had known that they ate algae among other things, but Sam recommended it as the best algae eater of all fish. So I bought the pricey 3 inch fish, and it started on the far wall where some shunshine comes in and within a week had completely cleared the wall of algae. By the end on the month, there was not a drop of algae anywhere and the fish had grown 2 inches. He is now 6" with some extraordinary color and does the work of three equal size Plecos. He is also very friendly and fairly smart and tame, and gets along with everything from loaches to Chocolate cichlids. I highly recommend them as the best algae eater based on my experience thusfar.
Old March 20th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #2
stevem
Super Moderator

Default algae eaters

r u sure of the spelling of this fish because i can not find any info on it anywhere
stevem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #3
robertprice

Rep Power: 31 robertprice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My Bad! Prochilodus, not Distichodus

I don't know what I was typing. It's Prochilodus insignis. I have both fish, but that still is no excuse. Distichodus are similar shaped, but they are not algae eaters and get big and moderately aggressive. There are good pictures on google at "Images of Prochilodus."